“Great day fishing”

Vail Valley Anglers
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Edwards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Vail Valley Anglers staff consists of expert fly fisherman who know the waters intimately and are passionate about sharing their love for the sport - from getting the first-time fisher out on the water to guiding the veteran angler to a secluded spot with the best hatch. Vail Valley Anglers is built on a foundation of deep experience and top-notch customer service. With our history of dedication and enthusiasm for sport to rely upon, we guarantee your satisfaction. We service the resorts of Vail and Beaver Creek, Colorado as well as the towns of Vail, Minturn, Avon, Edwards, Summit County, Aspen and Steamboat Springs. Conveniently located on the banks of the Eagle River on the Riverwalk at Edwards, we offer expertly guided trips all year round on local rivers, private ranches, and destination fly fishing trips. Our expert staff is supported by a fully-stocked fly shop featuring the best gear, clothing, flies, and accessories from Sage, Simms, Montana Fly Company, Scott, Loon Outdoors, Ex Officio, Fish Pond, Titian Rod Vault, and more for your fly fishing adventure.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Mike was an excellent guide. We were beginners, and he was patient and thorough in teaching us how to fly fish. The river valley was beautiful, and we had a quiet spot for the morning.

All reviews
"look forward"
"andy"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I are not fisherpeople but wanted to try fly fishing while vacationing in Colorado. Jim was our guide, and he made it a wonderful experience! He was very knowledgeable about the best fishing spots and types of flies to use. More importantly, he was so, so patient with these first-time fly fisherpeople, from tying on those tiny flies to untangling our lines every five minutes. You could tell he truly loved the sport and it was contagious as I could have stayed for many more hours. I am about to book the same trip for my sister and her boyfriend and have requested Jim to be their guide as well. The folks at Vail Valley Anglers were great to work with, and Jim is a tremendous asset to their team!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dad and I are local to the area and we wanted to spend Father's Day together on the water trying something new. We were fortunate enough to connect with Vail Valley Anglers, and our guide for the Day Sean T!

Dad and I have NEVER been Fly Fishing before, so dropping a bit of coin on a trip where even the most experienced sometimes don't realize their goal of catching fish gave us pause. But we are ALL IN once the day arrived.

We met at the shop at 0800 and Sean was waiting for us with a big smile and all the information and equipment we needed. We were out the door shortly thereafter and headed to the launch.

There are LOTS of choices of where to fish this time of year. We left the decision to Sean. Water temps - crowd size - our level of experience dictated a float on the Lower part of the Eagle River. The choice was perfect as we saw only a couple of other rafts all day. Great fishing, awesome scenery and some fun water.

Sean is the perfect guide and Captain. We were briefed thoroughly of the safety equipment and contingency plans. Once on the water he's an expert boat captain, avoiding al the hazards, untangling countless lines, re-tying flies, guiding the boat and putting us on top of the fish. His coaching was invaluable and I'll hear him say "mend your line" in my sleep for the next few days.

Dad wasn't comfortable with flies at first, so he spin-casted for a while getting some pretty good action. After a while he took some instruction from Sean and was working the flies with some success.

Did we hook 'em? You bet!! Did we land 'em? I'll let you check out the picture!!!

Thanks Sean - Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My son-in-law and I are novice fly fishermen. We went on a wade trip with Craig Hatcher and he was a great teacher and a consummate professional. He helped us on the basics of fly fishing, and was very patient and helpful. We went on a float trip on the Colorado River with Keegan Axtell, and he was an outstanding professional in every aspect. Keegan was a great instructor, extremely patient, and he really knows fly fishing and that river. He was truly a nice young man and a pleasure to be around. We caught A LOT of fish!! But even if we had not caught so many, it would have been a great trip. The entire staff at Vail Valley Anglers, including Ray, was extremely helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My fiance loves fly fishing and had no idea how to fly fish, so when we decided to travel to Vail, he suggested we try it out with a guide. Emily was our guide for the day and she took great care of us. She made sure our needs were addressed throughout the day. She was very patient with my lack of knowledge and experience. She answered all of our random questions about knowledge of the area. I would recommend her to anyone wanting to try it out. The other staff that we met seemed to be just as friendly and willing to help. We had a great experience.