“Good food, but TOO NOISY!”
Review of Machete

Machete
Ranked #314 of 3 301 Restaurants in Denver
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I met a friend here for lunch who recommended it as she was fond of their sister restaurant in Cherry Creek. It was my first time to eat here. My friend ordered chips and salsa which came with four different kinds and all of those were good and fairly spicy. I initially ordered two tacos (each one being a separate order). They had an interesting menu with a large variety of tacos not typically found on most Mexican restaurants. I had the Langosta (lobster taco) and the Arrachera con chile relleno (hanger steak with a small stuffed chili relleno on the side). Both of those were very good, but also very small and did not fill me up so I ended up ordering another taco- the Al Pastor (pork with pineapple). Unfortunately I didn't care for that one as the pork was very bland. My friend thought the quality of the tacos were not as good as the Cherry Creek location where she has eaten many times. Each taco is around $5 each so not an inexpensive lunch. They have a huge selection of tequilas, but I didn't imbibe as it was a weekday lunch. The decor is interesting as it is decorated with Day of the Dead motif. My greatest complaint, however, besides the small portions and high price, would be the noise level. It was so loud that I couldn't hear the waitress or carry on a conversation with my friend across the table. For that reason I can't recommend this restaurant for getting together with friends.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Great lunch menu. Had the shrimp and tilapia tacos and they were amazing though smaller than expected for the price. Service was quick and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed a Happy Hour with friends at Machetes in October 2017, so were looking forward to returning when we were spending the night in Downtown Denver in March 2018, the night before catching the train to Glenwood Springs for an Anniversary weekend. We recalled Machete's great beverages, salsas and quesadillas from our previous visit and, being hungry, parched and tired from a long day at work, we were very happy to be seated and ready to place our order on Wednesday pm, March 7th. Shortly after being seated, someone walked over and told us we needed to leave the restaurant and that is was closing unexpectedly (well-before it's scheduled closing) because the manager had a personal emergency and had to leave. We're not cold-hearted people, but you have to question how such a busy, large establishment in the heart of Denver had no one else available to cover until its closing. And to seat us, have us wait several minutes for service and then tell us we had to leave without even so much as a bit of chips and salsa or a beverage seemed really bizarre. I hope the emergency situation was resolved ok. It took my hungry husband and myself another 40 minutes to find a place to get a bit to eat that looked "Anniversary worthy".

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

We’ve eaten at their Cherry Creek location and enjoyed it. The Wynkoop location didn’t live up to their standard. The food was ordinary, the service slow and the noise a bit much. Fancy sounding names for tacos doesn’t make up for lack of flavor.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Great selection of tacos, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the cordero (lamb). The flavor is other-worldly. Chips and guac were good but the chips are real thick and tend to fill you before your meal. Salsas on the table are excellent. Service was good.

Been to Machete? Share your experiences!