“great evening of tapas”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street
Transit: Oak at Fourteenth is located on the Pearl Street Mall two blocks away from the main RTD station.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Decided spur of the moment to go there - tried to get reservations but they didn't have anything until very late but when we called they said that there would likely be places at the bar or chef's table. Was kind of disappointed to not get a regular table given that they had multiple tables free all night but whatever.

We decided to go for just tapas - we had a party of three including one pescatarian. We chose the Ahi Tuna Tartare toast, Duck liver pate, Potato Gnocchi, Octopus and tempura fried squash blossom. Of them, the tuna was the most boring - somewhat overpowered by the toast and the seasoning wasn't as interesting as the others. What we really enjoyed was the variety of seasonings and flavors they achieved in the dishes. Despite being small plates, there was more than enough for the three of us in each of the items.

The bread was excellent and the wine list was interesting. Will definitely go back the next time I'm in Boulder.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Wow. 90 minutes waiting for entrees. No explanation. No apology. Oy vey people. I assume this was an anomaly - at least I hope so. Cannot really express my level of disappointment in how this dinner went down.... just way too long and it seemed the restaurant was only about 1/2 full. Did the head chef quit? Go home sick? I don't know, but as good as the food is, this experience sure left a sour taste in our group's mouth.

1  Thank SebGo
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

They make nice food and drinks here. Menu changes pretty often. You can definitely get a good meal here but make a reservation if you can. It’s quite busy

Reviewed 9 September 2018

I had a business dinner here with about 30 or so people. We had our own room. We started with a few appetizers passed around and specially made cocktails. We then sat down to a family-style meal with an assortment of the small and large plates from the menu. Drinks and food were spectacular! Large group dinners are usually just okay, but this was great. The food came out perfectly cooked and so flavorful. Everything was well-timed also. Cocktails were also tasty as were the cannolis we had for dessert. I would go back if I am ever in Boulder again.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We’ve eaten at Oak several times, and it’s always been excellent. This evening’s meal was off the chart. We were four in number.
From the start:
Bread ++. Butter topped with sea salt ++
Appetizers:
Chopped kale and apple salad appetizer - superb - finely chopped and very slightly cool.
Gnocchi with pesto sauce and spiced roasted peaches - marvelous.
Main courses:
Homemade spaghetti with chili sausage (which was omitted but would only have made it better), fennel, sweet pepper, citrus bread crumbs, and heirloom tomatoes in a sort of light olive oil and butter sauce - beyond wonderful. The flavor of the pasta alone was incredible.
Crispy pork shoulder with pineapple fried rice (serves 2-3) - the best pork I’ve ever eaten and among the better entrées I’ve ever tasted anywhere and anytime. (Shared with my son-in-law, and the uneaten portion boxed to take home.)
Wine was a sublime 2015 Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir from Brewer-Clifton.
Desserts: 1) roasted peaches and huckleberries with peach ice cream; 2) chocolate whoopie pie and root beer ice cream. Shared among the four of us. Both were unusual and excellent; nice finishes to the meal.
I try to avoid gushing but this meal deserved every adjective I could come up with.
Service OK to good. Noise level moderately high, but with food this good, who cares?