Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Stinson Beach
More Info
All reviews beautiful beach parkside cafe growing up long beach walk along the beach dog friendly beach wet suits muir woods san francisco parking lot cute town gentle surf dogs are allowed restroom facilities snack bar windy road the pacific ocean
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We went early on a weekend day so we were able to get a parking space. This is a lovely long beach. It’s great for a long walk but the water is cold. There are many surfers in wet suits.

There were many friendly dogs on the beach.

By late morning the beach was jammed. We were happy we had arrived early and enjoyed the beach. By the time we left around noon the parking lot was filled and there were surfing classes, many people and many pets.

It’s a great beach but go early!

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I’d kind of forgotten about Stinson. Used to play hookie from work and have beach days here with coworkers many years ago. A chance recent visit made us wonder if we could get a vacation rental here instead of further north along the Sonoma/Mendocino Coast where we more typically go. Oceanic Realty was obliging with a beachfront rental so we enjoyed 5 days of beach life.

It’s a big, wide, long beach with gentle surf and lovely sand. Staying at a place with the beach as our front yard, we got to enjoy how quickly the beach’s topography gets remolded by the tides and wind. It’s a different place every day.

The little town is compact with a decent general store and just a few shops. If that’s what you’re after, you need to look elsewhere. Also very few restaurant choices and half didn’t seem to be open for most/all of our stay which seems odd at the beginning of the summer. Everything is close to the beach - including Siren Canteen right on it and Parkside Cafe just the other side of the parking lot.

Dogs are not allowed on the national park (Golden Gate Recreation Area) section of the beach (adjacent to the big parking lots) but are allowed on the county section, which appears to be just to the west about where the beachfront houses start and run for most of the beach. So lots of dog-friendly beach - and lots of dogs!

Great kite flying most days, beachcombing good but not great, no tidepooling. It’s all about the sand. So bring your kids, dog, kite, and boogie boards (if you’re up for the chill NorCal ocean). Not too much sea life while we were there. Seal heads bobbing in the surf a bit, pelicans fishing in the evening, and jellies, Dungeness crabs, and sand dollars washed up with the tides.

Also, half hour drive to Muir Woods, a fantastic place to commune with the redwoods for an hour or more. But you’ve got to book a parking spot in advance (and there are busloads of tourists).

Reviewed 14 June 2018

My husband and I drove to Muir Beach and Stinson Beach on the same day. We loved both! Our only regret is that we didn't come prepared with our beach gear. We would have enjoyed hanging out all day.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Drove PCH-1 up here and it was well worth the drive. Beautiful, quiet and pristine.
Listen to the waves and just sit back and relax.

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

I overnighted in the town of Stinson Beach and the beach here was very lovely and clean compared to many California beaches that are in close proximity to large metro areas. Plenty of parking, but I was here on a weekday off-season, I would guess parking gets difficult on a warm weekend.

There were several “no-pets allowed on beach” signs, but I saw plenty of happy dogs having a nice time on the beach with their owners.

As I was walking the beach, I saw what appeared to be an old lifeguard station on the beach that had been turned into a little eatery. It was closed on weekdays off-season, but I bet it’s really hopping in the summer.