“It's worth the 1.4 mile walk from my hotel”
Review of Avatar's

Avatar's
Ranked #23 of 82 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a great restaurant, run by a chef who loves food and pleasing people with his cooking. The menu is merely a suggestion, the chef asked us what we wanted and made us dishes to meet and exceed our expectations. The best lamb curry, and wonderful enchilada - I never realized the corn tortilla could taste so good. Of course, the basmati rice is excellent. I would definitely eat here again and recommend it to people who love food and are open to new tastes.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

The man who waited on us told us he’d pick out a dish for each of us, so he did. My husband had a lamb, sea bass, shrimp dish on rice and I had a shrimp and pumpkin burrito. His was good, but mine was phenomenal. Then the waiter talked us into having “a dessert people dream about”: almond milk and sweetened condensed milk frozen and served on a chocolate crust with pistachios on top in a pool of puréed mango.

Not only was the food great, but the whole experience was a hoot. We had to squeeze our way through the kitchen to get to the bathroom. The older women oversaw the food preparation, one standing at the counter cleaning parsley as she chatted.

It was a great experience in every way!

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Avatar's tucked into a small strip mall serves up a fusion of Mexican and Indian dishes, such as curries wrapped in tortillas. Fortunately, our party of five arrived at the opening on a Saturday evening (5 p.m.) as this tiny 20 table cafe filled up quickly. This family operation features prompt service, an open kitchen, black/white photo gallery of India along one wall, and warm dinners that you can tailor to your culinary taste and needs. Next time I'll customize my meal as the 9 out of 10 spice rating didn't live up to expected heat, and the basmati rice plate lacked the advertised raisins.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Very unpleasant environment. Very disinterested staff. Three or four of us ate their and I think everything was cooked in the same sauce which was very uninspired. Need I say more? Be sure and miss it if you can

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

We were visiting Sausalito and Avatars was recommended by our Airbnb hosts. We liked the look of the reviews from others as well so decided to give it a try. We eat Indian once a week and have for years. Although this isn't your typical Indian cuisine (I.e butter chicken), both my husband and I loved the meal. My husband had the chicken curry and I had the chicken enchiladas. I wasn't sure what to expect but the owner had me convinced that it would be amazing & it was. Fresh & the spice level was perfect. The dessert was delicious as well. I appreciated the passion the owner has in his restaurant and the familial atmosphere. The service was superb - quick, attentive and friendly. I wish we were staying for longer to try more dishes because everything that was being prepared in the kitchen looked delicious!