“Surprisingly interesting!”

Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
Ranked #2 of 137 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Architecturally inspired by the Temple of Amon at Karnak, it houses the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts on exhibit in western North America, including objects from pre dynastic times through Egypt's early Islamic era.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I wasn't that keen on visiting here but after looking around, I'm glad we did. I mean, when am I ever going to Egypt? Lots of cool artifacts and not so huge that you feel overwhelmed.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Small museum but pretty good. They have built a tomb inside which is pretty cool to walk through. I think most things are replicas of items in larger museums.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Rosicrucian Museum is an oddity set in a residential neighborhood opposite a school (high or middle). During the summer or weekends, you could easily park in the school parking lot. I was able to park directly in front of the building (just before the loading zone).

My 2 star review is because they are not wheelchair accessible. We entered the tiny lobby which was very crowded. There were I believe 2 stairways descending on either side of the lobby and one stairway ascending. The harried cashier paid no attention to my mother in a wheelchair. Mom can walk (with difficulty) so we had her climb the one stairway up to get out of the packed lobby while we carried her wheelchair up. At the next level, there was a small room to view a movie and two stairways ascending on either side. We picked one stairway and this takes you to a gallery with exhibits and yet another stairway leading to another gallery. This architecture is duplicated on the other side. The two wings do not connect so you need to descend and reascend to see both wings. The stairways that descended from the lobby also did not connect.

There is NO elevator in the building. There is a wheelchair lift but only museum staff can operate it. To get museum staff, I had to descend all the way to the lobby, stand in line, ask the cashier to page someone, reascend to my mom, and wait 10-15 minutes for someone to show up. The galleries aren't that big so we would have to do this every 10-30 minutes. My mom ended up doing all the stairs herself while I supported her (and worried that she was going to fall down them or be in pain all night after our outing) and my brother carried her wheelchair. To recap, from the lobby, we went up, up-left, up, down, down, up-right, up, down, down, down-left, up, down-right, up, EXIT.

If I had been alone, I would probably have found the museum charming. It doesn't seem that big so I'm surprised that it advertises that "it houses the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts on exhibit in western North America". I guess it is the "western" qualifier that does it... It does have some really nice exhibits.

1  Thank KarenB_California
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Went with group. Nicely presented artifacts in various rooms. Really like the descriptions written summarizing what was in each room - on the walls. Gave a nice flavor to the collection. Most fun part for all was walking through the crypt (can't remember name now) - I wanted to stay and listen to all the narrative but my party was moving faster than I would have liked to.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Anyone interested in Old Egyptian artifacts and history... this is the place to go. In addition the grounds are set up with many different kinds of fauna including a monstrous Bunyan Tree from Australia that every other yr drops 5-8 cones that are a beautiful green. The planetarium is amazing and educational and the museum has a huge alchemy museum. Definitely worth the visit.