“Good chicken”

Salinas City BBQ
Ranked #3 of 344 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We had business lunch here. Always great food. Chicken was delicious and smokey. They have hot BBQ sauce and fire BBQ sauce which they keep in the back for a good reason, ask for it and they will bring it out.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

What a blast, to find an off-the-beaten-path place like this one. My husband had a combo plate with 3 meats: tri-tip (juicy, tender and flavorful) Brisket, (Yummm!!!) and something else. I don't remember, because I was busy with the best half-rack of baby-backs that I've had in years!!! I got the 6 ribs, and since I gave two to him, (yes, he ate the whoooole thing!!!) I could have just had the 4 ribs and still have had too much to eat, they were so meaty!! The slaw is to die for, and I don't even like slaw! I had a baked potato that was so big, I took the 3/4 of it I didn't eat out of there on a leash!! Service was great, the wine was local, yummy and priced at only $5 a glass, and my husband had some great beers to taste and drink. Don't be fooled by the area and the building. You will already be planning your next visit by the time you leave your table!!

Reviewed 2 June 2018

This is a wonderful, away from the maddening crowd place...one without any parking challenges. There were eight in our party and our waitress took all our different orders without writing any notes or asking anyone to repeat. Then when she served the food, each and every one of us got exactly what was ordered. There was absolutely no "who has this" and "who has that" refrain. It was a most impressive performance.

And not only was the service excellent...so was the food!

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I knew we were headed in the right direction when I called to see if they were open on the Memorial Day holiday. Milissa answered the phone. She sounded so delightful and welcoming. We were informed that they were open every day except Christmas.

The lunch was delicious. Of course the meat was the star. Smokey and tender. The only draw back and thing keeping this great dive from 5 stars was the bland accompaniments. The potato salad, garlic bread and blue cheese dressing all could use a boast of flavor.

The berry cobbler was to die for. I'd come again just for it.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Small old building in industrial area. Had to park on the street which was not a problem. Great tri tip sandwich with tasty homemade sauce and fresh bread. Beans and potato salad were very good. Good draft beer selection. Meal comes quickly so if you want to enjoy your beer before you eat, wait a while before ordering.