“Wonderful food! Great staff!”

The Porch Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Porch Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 2 148 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 18th & K Streets
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had some of the most delicious food ever there! My husband had the brisket meatloaf and it was simply yummy!! My pulled pork Mac and Cheese off the appetizer menu was wonderful. Three in our party had the shrimp po-boy and they were not disappointed. Would absolutely dine there again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A return visit for a birthday. The pork chop was great, nice sauce, super mashed potatoes. Chicken fried steak, veg salad, fried chicken,cornbread all very good. Liked the pickled veggies, not a fan of okra, but liked it this way.
Bengniets excellent.
No espresso machine and the were out of ice cream, but it was Sunday night.
Great service by Trey. Funny and spot on efficient.
Perfect night to eat outside on the Porch.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

I had checked for food in the area of our Hotel and my husband had the Shrimp and Grits and Oh My Goodness! The BEST grits ever in Our lives. My brie and homemade jam was absolutely lip smacking. The restaurant is nicely decorated and has outdoor seating....we live about one hour from Sacramento and have now found our "Go to Place"...the server, Craig, was a delightful young man.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

They do a wonder job of adding a twist of modern to southern style cooking. I wasn’t expecting to be this impressed with the menu. The atmosphere is great, the staff is attentive and friendly. The food was not only Beautiful to look at but it also tasted it amazing.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

I tend to write long reviews as a rule, so for your sake I'll start with a summary: I appreciated the special touches for my friend's birthday, but the food and service was just very OK.

I booked a table at The Porch for my friend's 30th birthday. She loves Southern Food, and while I would normally suggest Sandra Dee's, the birthday girl wanted to try this restaurant out. First, the pluses: they do a lot of special stuff for people's birthdays, like a custom menu with a congratulatory sentiment at the top and a buttermilk ice cream with a candle. The restaurant is also cute on the inside, if a little bit sterile. Ambiance isn't hugely important to me, so I am not basing much of my review on it. We also ordered a Caramel Popcorn cake that was really something special, but next time I would probably just nip down to Rick's for dessert.

We started with drinks and an order of the skillet cornbread. The cornbread was SO good, but it was probably a mistake to order it because the entree portion sizes are out of control. I really wanted to order the whisky punch, but no one else in the party wanted that and that drink has to be served to a minimum of 2 guests. I asked the waitress to suggest another drink and though she didn't seem certain she eventually recommended the Horse's neck as a "sweet" whisky drink. I've never really had a sweet Horse's neck, but I ordered based on her recommendation and it was alright, not too biter, but definitely bared no resemblance to a whisky punch.

I am a woman who loves her fried chicken, especially bone-in breast, so I had to order the fried chicken. However, I was disappointed that there were so few green veggie sides in their long list (besides asparagus and collards) as it would have been nice to have some green beans, peas, okra, etc. to cut the richness of the fried chicken. I went with the deep fried beets, but honestly the deep-frying seemed perfunctory because the preparation added nothing but calories. Luckily, I do like the natural flavor of beets, so the fried ones were tasty if not a bit over-filling. My second side was the mashed potatoes which comes without gravy, which was a real shame given my experience with the chicken. I'm sorry to say this, because it is practically a death sentence for a Southern restaurant, but the chicken breast was dry and stringy. The batter was not too thick (which I think is a plus), not very crunchy (which I think is a minus) and well-seasoned (maybe a little salty), but that chicken breast was just way too dry. Even the spicy honey they had couldn't save it! Had we not had plans for after dinner, I might have asked for another. I didn't get to try the other 2 pieces of chicken because I was utterly stuffed halfway through the breast and a few bites of the potatoes and beets--there was just way too much food. I think I could have split the entire meal with another person, and maybe three. I am not a light eater by any means--just a week ago I polished off a full fried chicken dinner at Disneyland (leg, wing, breast, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuit) and dessert all on my own. The theme of the entire table was too much food--my advice is to either skip an appetizer or plan to split your entree. I will say that the burger looked really great, and if I returned I might get that, but really that's me trying to put a positive spin on things: poor fried chicken is inexcusable at a "Southern" restaurant.

As for service, there isn't really much to say. We didn't have to wait long to take our orders or get our food, but I wouldn't say that our waitress was overly warm or welcoming. If I had to label the service experience I would say it was acceptable.

So yeah, very OK.