The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
US$87
CrownePlaza.com
All reviewsgrange restaurantpolitical cartoonsboutique hoteloffice buildingacross the streetattached restaurantcorner roomjunior suitevalet parkingroom servicekeurig coffee makerrooms are smallmini barstreet noiseheart of downtownstate capitolquiet room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff in the hotel were amazing but my experience in the restaurant, Grange, lead me to reduce my rating from 5 stars to 3. I was greeted warmly and allowed to check in a bit early to a comfortable room on the 11th floor. I was very pleasantly surprised when my requested items arrived within minutes. Every staff member was helpful and friendly when it came to the rooms, front desk and housekeeping.

There was a heavy rain storm in the morning and complimentary umbrellas were available to borrow at the front desk. Bottled water was offered at check in and there was a coffee stand near the desk in the mornings.

I really enjoyed the decor and the political theme. The photos, lithographs, cartoons and the California State Constitution lamp shade made for an interesting trip through history as I left my room and walked down the stairs from the 11th floor.

Breakfast, on the other hand, was not as pleasant. I was seated at the bar and had a bit of a wait to order. It took a couple of requests to get a place setting, napkin and cream and sugar for my coffee. Oh, these items didn't arrive until well after my food did. Overall, the quality of the food was not up to my expectations. Grange appears to get good reviews so perhaps the lunch and dinner service and food is much better. There are many restaurants within walking distance and more will open as the DoCo and K Street areas get built out. Try exploring rather than staying at the hotel.

Finally, the hotel gym is very small and quite limited in the number of machines and types of weights. However, the hotel has made arrangements for guests to use a local gym just a few blocks away. That facility spans three floors and has an incredible array of weights, machines and classes. I dropped in for a spinning/cycling class that was quite enjoyable and a great workout. Kudos to management for making the local gym available for guests. I was very pleased with this option as the hotel gym is unappealing and really only has room for a few people.

I will visit again and will likely give Grange another chance.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful boutique hotel that took an old building and made it something beautiful . If you ever stayed in the Hollywood Roosevelt it has some similarities and just like the Roosevelt I legit had to take a step back and wonder if it was haunted while walking the halls.

Pros:
Quiet (inside)

Not a lot of rooms

Small perfect for one

Great “Themed” Decor

Lovely restaurant and bar

Quality Customer Service

Perfect for a quiet staycation

Cons:

THEY CHARGE FOR WIFI (This is offensive in the year 2018)

Not really for groups (which for me and some others could be a great thing)

No great views (at best ask to face the park)

Neighborhood is Meh (not 100% sketchy, good for me but other less city-wise people may not love it)

A little pricey for the neighborhood

During the day the street can be a bit noisy get a higher level floor

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

As a platinum member, I was upgraded without effort, the room was well appointed, the free breakfast in the attached upscale restaurant was superior to that usually provided, and everyone was very nice. I also had dinner at the restaurant which was excellent.

The only negative note would be the gym. It was windowless, had minuscule TV’s on the wall that were difficult to view from the aerobic machines, and the weight area was too small to accommodate even the few guests using it. Oddly, it was also decorated w fanciful pictures of confections which were hardly inspirational! The gym. definitely needs to be improved to serve today’s more health conscious clientele.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 26 February 2018

My wife and I stayed here during a short trip to Sacramento. We had a great room on the 9th floor with a beautiful view of the capital. Because the hotel is older (but renovated), the rooms are small but comfortable. Bathrooms are nice and spacious and there are several great restaurants close by. The ONLY negative that this hotel has going for it is that it is on the K street mall, which has become a haven for homeless people and abandoned stores. The Golden One center is about 6 blocks away with a Macy's next door and several other shops. We walked there during the day, but quite honestly, I would question walking that far at night.
The restaurant that is attached to the hotel "Grange" is awesome! Great food with a good selection. If you can look past the homeless people and abandoned stores, this is a great place to stay. The capital is about 2 blocks away and a great place to visit.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kjuiceman
Reviewed 25 February 2018

1st, I would not have posted anything if I was not prompted to write a review via email.
Some guy named David sent it to me so I replied directly rather than post on the internet. I got a bounce back saying I sent to a no reply email and that I should either submit to the online survey or contact another link for customer service. I clicked on the link and nothing happened so I'm just all round disappointed. Here is what I would like David to address directly.....

David,

My wife and I arrived and had our car parked by the valets. They were polite and on it.
We checked in and were assigned a nice room. Small but nice. The receptionist was
helpful in finding us a quite room with a view. Upon entering the elevator I found that no
key access was required to get to our floor. Not a big deal. We also noticed that the elevator
was spotted with finger prints everywhere and had not been wiped down recently. Maybe days.
Also the carpet in the elevator an in the hallways to our room looked rather abused and mottled colors
from wear and or stain removal. Just FYI. Upon entering the room everything looked in order. Only one
wine glass not two. There was an extra water glass we used instead. Also, when the sun came in I took
a look out the window and noticed a thick film of dust possibly months from being wiped down. I'm 6'6"
so not every hotel maid is going to see that stuff. Just was gross. I went to call for reservations at your restaurant
and upon looking at the receiver for the phone the dust was heavy in all the crevices. Also the see through curtain was
torn. We just felt that your cleaning staff and carpet could use some help. Everyone of your team was respectful and
helpful. We're just not sure we'd come back at this stage. We are Starwood members and just became Marriott members.
Hope this helps you,

G R

Here is what I was originally sent.

TELL US
ABOUT YOUR STAY.
Dear GREGORY RICHMOND,

We recently invited you to participate in our guest survey regarding your recent stay at the Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection beginning on February 16, 2018. If you have already completed the survey, thank you.

If you have not had a chance to tell us about your stay, I hope you will consider doing so now, as your opinions matter a great deal to us.

To access the survey, please click on the link below.

Begin Survey

By completing this survey, you may be contacted by the hotel to help improve the quality of service provided.

We appreciate your opinion and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

David Shipman