“Business dinner”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Very nice restaurant close to several hotels. I was at the Hilton and is just 4 blocks away.
Nice ambiance. Always full, so you need a reservation.
Sushi is correct and the Hawaiian style steak is really the star.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This is extraordinary restaurant. What makes it so good is that all their ingredients are fresh homemade style. Take a look at the gigantic pork chop and garlic mashed potatoes. Interesting beers, both on tap and in the bottle. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Pasadena.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I've been going to Houston's for over 20 years now and never had a bad meal there.

They no longer take reservations, so plan on getting there by 6:30 pm mid-week and by 6 pm on a Friday or Saturday as there is always a crowd waiting for a table.

The bar is usually two deep of people, so be willing to eat at the bar if you don't want to wait an hour (or two) for a table.

It's a simple concept. BBQ burgers, steaks, ribs, chicken and fish. Throw in some sushi. Add some salads. Do not forget to order the Ciabatta Cheese Toast, it's addicting.

The food and service are always excellent.

Only complaint is they used to have no corkage fee and just recently started charging a $15 corkage fee.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

My client suggested Houston's for dinner and we arrived early with plenty of tables open. The waiter was in a rush to get us to order and kept pushing even after we ordered a drink. We ordered our dinner including a salad before the entree. The staff kept trying to take our plates without asking and all of a sudden they were picking up my guest's plate and she asked them to please leave it as she was not finished yet. As soon as our plates were cleared we were not asked if we wanted dessert or coffee. I noticed a piece of paper folded on the corner of the table. When I picked it up, it was the check and he even took our water glasses away before we paid the check. I've always enjoyed the food at Houston's but I was so shocked by the lack of customer service, I don't care to return. My client commented that she had forgotten her previously bad experience on her last visit when she suggested we go there. You can find equally good dining in Pasadena with far better service.

3  Thank Sandy C
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Houston's is famous for their black bean soup and deservedly so. It is heavenly. I cannot replicate it (despite many attempts!)

I've eaten there twice and was never disappointed. Fish is great, as are the salads, but avoid any that have mashed potatoes in them. Yes, cold mashed potatoes in the salads. They should fire whoever thought of that.

I had a tostado type salad on another visit, which was very good. Always the black bean soup though. I go just for that. The rest is gravy.

Fairly expensive, but worth it. White tablecloths.

Vegan/vegetarian dishes as well as meat dishes.