“Don't arrive hungry, as the wait for your meal is long!”
Review of il vecchio

il vecchio
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Award winning authentic Italian food on the Monterey Peninsula. We serve dinner every night from 5 pm, Lunch Monday - Friday noon til 1:30 pm and Weekend Brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 11 am - 2 pm. You will enjoy our wine list with very reasonably priced wonderful wines. We now have a full bar. We have a catering menu and host rehearsal dinners and other special occasion large parties. Our food is loved by the locals for being consistently fresh and delicious. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The restaurant was busy, but certainly manageable. We were served our drinks then it was 45 minutes before the waiter returned to advise us that our order had "somehow" gotten behind all the others. We had only ordered 2 simple plates. The food finally arrived with no apology for the wait. The food was good, not great. The meal was only $33.71 so they could have comped it or offered a free dessert. Nothing! We won't go back.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

There are a lot of restaurants in the Monterey Bay area. This is one I'll return to.

I liked the atmosphere. Rustic, homey, great aromas. The staff was attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. I let the waitress select a glass of wine to go with my pasta and it was spot on. My wife ordered the gnocchi with pesto. The gnocchi were light, delicious. The pesto was a pesto cream that nicely coated the pasta. Nicely balanced dish. I ordered the carbonara. It was great. The sauce was made with guanciale (cured pork jowl), egg, cheese, black pepper, and tossed with tonnarelli (square spaghetti). We also ordered a vegetable dish of grilled zucchini, kale, and red bell pepper. Each vegetable was cooked perfectly. I don't normally have dessert at a restaurant, but they had tiramisu and I love tiramisu. Their rendition was worth the extra calories. Very good.

We went on a Tuesday night about 7:00 and the place was packed. I would advise making reservations.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

We had a reservation for 9 people on a Tuesday evening, and were seated immediately. Very friendly servers, drink orders were quickly taken.

We had had several large meals already on this business retreat, so I opted for “simple” spinach and ricotta cannelloni. Holy moly! Rich, creamy, tomato-y, piping hot deliciousness! 3 of our group had the rigatoni con ragu toscano, and raved about it.

I was going to do the usual tiramisu, until a member of my group pointed out the gelato at a nearby table—in a tall glass, with a cookie on top. Good-bye, tiramisu! Our group shared the coconut, blackberry, and peach gelato desserts; the blackberry, especially, was outstanding. They all were parfait-style, with whipped cream, and the coconut had macaroon bits in it.

I honestly didn’t notice the noise level; our group probably was responsible for most of it, anyway. Hopefully we didn’t spoil anyone’s romantic date night.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We really enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. It's beautifully done. The food was nothing to write home about. I can't say we would go back there.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here several times and each time the food has been amazing. Everything is fresh and made from scratch. If you're looking for authentic Italian food this is definitely the place to go.