“Cute. chill local brewery”

Novel Brewing Company
Ranked #5 of 41 Nightlife in Oakland
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was the first stop on a larger brewery tour I went on, and let me tell you, this was a fantastic way to kick off the day! The brewery is run by a husband and wife team that were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful with recommendations. It was a light crowd given it was Easter Sunday, but everyone was friendly and the space was super cute. The brewery is right between North Oakland and South Berkeley, and will be celebrating their second birthday this year. GREAT beer selection with something for everyone and some fun beers you won't see anywhere else. A hidden gem in Oakland's craft beer scene!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Love this place! This was our last brewery stamp needed to complete the Oakland Ale Trail Passport of a total 9 breweries - woohoo! What a great way to end this fun experience!

Novel is right in between North Oakland and South Berkeley so it was filled with a pretty cool crowd this Sunday when we visited! They also had food pop up of pizza bagel from Bagel Babes for a small fee of $3! They offer few snacks too and decently priced beers at a typical Oakland rate of 6-7$ for a pint! Their flights are too cute because they come tucked in a book stand.

The place is really lovely. Lots of wood work and tons of book to read and games to play. How fun! We felt so comfortable, welcomed and got that cozy home sweet home feel :)

Service is fuss free and friendly! Very clean bathrooms :)

Reviewed 31 October 2017

It's the Wandering Yank here. When visiting family in Berkeley, they suggested we end our afternoon at Novel Brewing, knowing my fondness for a good IPA. Good suggestion!

It's very casual and comfortable. The tanks are in the back and the front wall was entirely open, so it has an industrial feel, but not in a bad way. Maybe 8-10 beers were on tap that day, and my Ravity's Grainbow IPA (note the literature theme) was very good. Others had the lagers and stouts, and they all liked their selections.

There is a stack of board games on hand which kept us there longer than we might have been otherwise, a good thing. I could see staying a few hours if we had had the time.

I didn't see any food on offer, so don't arrive hungry. I see they offer weekly trivia nights and other events.

We'll definitely return. 2 thumbs up!

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

The staff are super nice and helpful in explaining the different brews. Their tasters are a good way to find out which brews catch your taste buds. The ambience is also very nice and chill to meet friends.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 May 2017

The best example I can think of how nice the staff members are here is that when I walked up, quickly scanned the beer list and then ordered a “Tripeltizer,” the lady didn’t comment on the fact that I’d just completely misread and butchered the name of the their beer, instead nodding and heading off to pour a Tripulitzer for me. Other bartenders might be more inclined to give me a withering look. (In my defense, the beer was a Tripel, so Tripeltizer made sense to my foggy brain.) Anyway, have been there twice now and the staff and beer were very pleasant both times. By the way, I believe the Tripulitzer is named after Edward Albee, whose work included Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – and it’s good. God-friendly and board games are available.

I’m also giving them 5/5 “green stars” for social and environmental impact, based on these reasons:
• The obvious: it’s brewed on site, avoiding the environmental costs of packaging and transportation.
• Suppliers include YCH hops, a progressive company that supports Pacific Northwest farmers by returning 78% of the price of the hops to them (if only more Ag business worked this way) and encourages sustainable farming.
• I believe they’ll refill any kind of growler, as long as they are clean and any other brewery name is covered.
• Community: they sometimes run fundraisers supporting charities such as Berkeley Humane.
• Collaborates with small local bakers.
• Outside food is welcome, accommodating all kinds of diet / ethos.
• I like their theme – considering the opposite end of the scale (e.g., a bar at Dulles airport where each seat has an iPad for ordering and then playing games on) it’s nice to have a bar full of books – and good books too.
• Owners are a husband-wife team (a writer and an environmental engineer). Perhaps that’s not entirely relevant but I like the idea of supporting them.
Interested in writing green star reviews? If so, contact me!