“What a surprise!”

Imperial Sand Dunes
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Niland
More attraction details
Owner description: These mountains of sand rise 300 feet above the desert floor.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

After miles and miles and miles of the Sonoran Desert, you come upon these sand dunes along route 8 and the sight is amazing. I had visited the sand dunes in Death Valley and these are just as stunning. Had to stop and take pictures, but as it was a very hot day, we decided not to try to hike in and up them. Evidently, these dune run about 45 mikes long! and are part of the Algodones Dunes. Astounding sight to behold.

1  Thank jer b
"weekend"
in 5 reviews
"dune"

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

I did visit the dunes pretty briefly but I mainly wanted to visit yhe Old Plank Road monument. It was a pretty cool piece of history. Originally saw it on a show on discovery channel, but to see and learn about it in person really put it in perspective.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Most people do not realize there are sand dunes are in California. We have been there a few times with friend and family. The view is majestic. It feels like another world. We were there once at sun set, the colors are fantastic

A little bit of a drive, but make the trip if you are in the area.

2  Thank 294dannyv
Reviewed 22 March 2018

Following a recent trip to Yuma we drove by the sand dunes and had to stop. We wished we had an ATV to properly enjoy the dunes but instead decided to simply hike up one of the hills. My husband and oldest daughter sat on the bed of the pickup while me and my 20 year old daughter trekked up the nearest hill. Although I was huffing and puffing by the time we arrived to the top of the first rise I was so glad that we stayed the course because the view was spectacular. Caution... the sand is very fine and I almost ruined the camera that I took with me. Also, depending on the temperature the sand can be very hot so be prepared with the proper footware and also bring water.