“Nightmare on the Roof”
Review of Mama Shelter

Mama Shelter
Reserve with
Mama Shelter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #382 of 10 873 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American, French
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Description: Mama offers a simple and flavorsome cuisine, inspired by French and American traditions so that you feel at home. MAMA’s rooftop allows you to take in the sights of all of Los Angeles with a near 360 degrees view from the Hollywood sign to Downtown to South Bay to the Westside. She’s located blocks away from the peaked roof and cement celeb handprints at the Chinese Theatre along the Walk of Fame.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Beware of the floor of the roof!! Last week I visited Mama Shelter with a friend. We were sitting on stools near the back and my phone slipped out of my hand and fell straight between two wood slats - underneath the roof. Why the flooring is situated so the wood panels are wide enough for a phone to fall through continues to boggle me. We immediately found management to explain what happened, they took our information, told us not to worry and that the engineer would be able to get the phone out the next day and to call in the morning. With the help of my friend, we called first thing the next morning.

Strike 1: Turns out, the front desk had not been informed of the situation - management hadn't passed along what happened despite promising to to do s. The man I spoke with then called the engineer who told him he did not have time in his schedule to deal with it until the following day, which would mean two days sans phone. So I drove over to the hotel to speak directly to them. I was then told they would need a second engineer (who arrives in a few hours) to get the phone out, but I would definitely have it by late afternoon. I left and went back home.

Strike 2: The hotel calls my friend shortly after to tell them they will not be able to get the phone out after all because "we can't reach it" and to relay the information to me. They offered no help in the least, nor did they offer to speak to me directly when my friend said that excuse was unacceptable. I then drive back to the hotel for the second time.

Strike 3: At this point, I am informed that no, they can not get the phone out (despite having told me several times over the course of the two days "this happens all the time!" which I still don't understand why this is used as a supposed positive, your roof should not be set up so poorly that phones, credit cards and jewelry are often falling through it!) and that it was my fault for dropping it in the first place. Supposedly the phone had fallen under a spot in the roof they did not feel comfortable reaching because "there might be wires under there." I was then told if I wanted to pay to have a crew come lift off the roof, I was more than welcome to do so. At no point did anybody offer apologies, monetary compensation, efforts to fix the roof's flooring so this would happen again, etc. The attitude of this man was beyond cruel and condescending.

I used to be a regular visitor of Mama Shelter, but I will NEVER be returning and as my friends are aware of what happened, as well as the inexcusable customer service, they will choose another rooftop to visit too. Though the phone slipping out of my hands was indeed my fault, management's treatment of me and handling of the situation was absolutely horrific. I hope nobody else ever experiences this.

1  Thank Melissa S

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We tried to book a table on the rooftop (through the internet) but you can only book for the restaurant inside. We ate somewhere else and we though having a drink later on the rooftop. When we arrived we saw that we could eat there.. The was a lot of space actually.
The people working are veyr nice and happy! Prices are fine.
Nice view on Hollywood sign!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

the rooftop is ideal if you are looking for some good drinks, cool views and a laid back atmosphere.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

The company I work for held a private event recently on the Mama Shelter Rooftop, and the entire experience was fantastic! We do these types of networking events around the country, and this was easily the best one we have had. That rooftop is such a cool space and our guests were all wowed by it. You can't beat that view.

The service from their team was stellar! Amanda did a great job of helping us set up and plan the event, and all of the staff were very accommodating and helpful when we got on site. Bobby, one of the bartenders, really impressed me when he went from behind the bar to take drink orders from guests towards the back who were having trouble getting through the crowd to the bar. He wasn’t even asked to do it, just recognized the issue and did it on his own. Phil did a great job monitoring our food platters and ensuring they were never empty.

And speaking of the food, it was all incredible! The guests I spoke to were raving about it the next day. Definitely order the miso salmon because everyone said it was their favorite, but all of the dishes we ordered were excellent.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Perfect stop for a drink with a view. Their roof space is impressive, lots of plants and colorful furniture, plus great views of Hollywood. Great for couples or big groups!