“Good sides - disappointing shish kebab”
Review of Falafel King

Falafel King
Ranked #2 562 of 11 727 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I got the their streak shish kebab. It came with two sides some fried chips and rice. For the sides, I got the hummus and the baba ghanoush. Both were very good. Another nice feature of this restaurant is that they prepared the shish kebab fresh. So it took a while for it to come out and I had high expectations. Unfortunately, the meat was extremely chewy and quite bland. A major disappointment.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

While most other joints have come and gone in Westwood over the years (even McDonalds failed), Falafel King has remained a stalwart fixture near campus for 30 years, which may seem odd for Middle Eastern fare. The simple reason is because its falafel and schwarma have an unmatched flavor in Los Angeles. The seasoning is rich and savory, unlike the bland tastes you get at most other Mediterranean restaurants that cater to the non-Middle Eastern palate. The portions are generous, the salads are superb, and the price is right. It’s not fancy, just a hole in the wall with a dozen tables (it’s often crowded), but totally addicting.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

Friday night in Westwood. Looking for a place to eat. Everyone is booked up except for . . . Falafel King. My first clue was only one table was occupied. My party of four was starving so we headed on in. Unlikely we will return.
The server/cooks (man and woman) were tired, overworked, and not particularly friendly. They serve from a steam table. Both rice selections had that dried, overcooked, crispiness around the edges. Obviously been sitting there a tad too long. Overall, the food was just OK.
No Gryo or decent chicken shawerma. Actually, the chicken was frozen unspiced breast strips the restaurant grilled beforehand.
Yes - the falafel was good but not good enough for us to return.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

This is a friendly place with large dinner platters of middle eastern food for a fair price. Not the best food but pretty good

Reviewed 27 April 2016

I worked at UCLA and after having my first falafel, I was hooked. Over the years I moved around in So. Cal. and always made sure to stop when I was in the area. Now, in No. Ca. its not so easy, but after almost 40 years, I still crave their food. Highly recommend you give them a try, and you too, will be bringing all your dates and friends back with you. My husband was recently in LA and I tried to bribe him into bringing me some back on the plane, but it wasn't possible. I have spent years and years getting as close to their recipes as I can since I miss then so much. I wonder if they ship them? : )