“A big problem, deftly handled... how do decide how to rate it”

Malibu Farm Pier Cafe
Ranked #206 of 11 892 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Lovely cafe at the end of the pier, with fabulous tables and views and an interesting menu. A short wait, friendly service. We picked a chicken caesar salad and the crab cakes with new potatoes. The food comes promptly and we were both enjoying it. The crab cakes are very good and I finished the whole thing. About a third to half way through the salad my partner found a small cockroach type bug in his salad. It was an appetite destroying moment, and despite the immediate offer of the waiter to replace it, he declined. We expected them to take it off the menu. Instead, they refunded the whole tab, for both meals and drinks. We are delighted with the way this was handled and the truth is... the food was delicious. It wouldn't put us off eating here again...but that is honestly what happened. On balance, because they handled the problem so well, we rated it on the food and ambience and disregarded the extra protein.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

In my view this is the best place to have lunch there! The view is amazing, we almost had our feet dangling above the water. There are two locations on the pier. The first Malibu Fatm Cafe is at the beginning of the pier. You get seated, order your food etc. Reservation is encouraged, otherwise there is a wait. The second Farm Cafe ar the end of the pier. This is the one we went to. There is no reservation system rather we came up to a counter, ordered our food, paid and we were given a # on a stick. We found a table with a nice view and sat there. Shortly thereafter, our food was delivered. No matter where you seat, they find you!
I had a vegan platter with tofu, blended rice, asparagus, carrots in a creamy coconut sauce. It was delicious! It was a huge plate. I could only eat half of it. I also had a homemade lemonade served in a Mason jar which was outstanding. Ron had a BLT with aioli, he loved it. The bacon looked crispy, Ron looked like he was in heaven!

It is on the higher price tag but the value is definitely there. It is the only place around where we could be so close to the water. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Our family had brunch at Malibu farms on our trip to take our daughter to college when we dropped her off for fall. Brunch was amazing, service was great and food was really fresh, savory and delicious!

A month later my daughter announced that her friends were taking her there for her birthday dinner. As a surprise I wanted to buy dinner. Upon calling the restaurant they were extremely helpful with the surprise! My daughter called me after dinner so happy!
The girls loved dinner, and they made her dessert with a candle! She had an amazing time. I really appreciated the hospitality and how easy they made it for me to surprise her. The follow through and execution was beautiful as well!

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

The dilemma here is that the food was good and reasonably priced but drinks are a complete rip off! $9 for an average milkshake served in a small trendy glass jar.

If this place is the institution it claims to be then you don’t need to fleece guests, simple as that.

The restaurant itself was nice ( we sat outside on the left) so had a nice ocean view. The staff were nice but nothing special.
I had the nachos which were good but light on the cheese and sour cream: quelle surprise.
Considering you pay $15 just to park I would have expected better.
My advice would be is if you want to visit the pier, try and park elsewhere and walk up to the Pier.
In respect of eating etc; save your dollars and eat elsewhere. The pier itself is underwhelming! Shame really .

Reviewed 21 August 2018

Lunch on a trip back towards LAX after some time on the Central Coast. Food was good, not great. Menu is interesting and locally sourced. The location was great! We sat on the upper deck, enjoyed the view while eating. Has options on the menu for any taste or diet. If you want to take in Malibu views - water, beach, hillsides, people, this is a great choice - at the end of the pier.

Been to Malibu Farm Pier Cafe? Share your experiences!