16 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 21/10/02
Official Site
US$176
Free cancellation until 21/10/03
Reserve now, pay at stay
PricelineUS$236
Hotels.comUS$177
eDreamsUS$236
Reviews (1 357)
1 357 results
All reviews la jolla cove sea lions ocean view rooftop terrace living room prospect street main building pool and hot tub shops and restaurants microwave seagulls mike coastline california
Selected filters
171 - 176 of 1 357 reviews
Reviewed 20 October 2018

This is a motel like hotel located front and center on La Jolla Cove. It is simple, moderately priced and very very family friendly. The hotel climbs up the side of the cove so that the top units are just below and Prospect Street with its fine shops and restaurants. The suites are very very spacious, many with private terraces. Save money here and spend it on the many small and large welcoming restaurants in town.

Room tip: Suites in the older section up the hill have many steps up from the La Jolla Cove road but relatively direct access to Prospect Street.
Reviewed 10 October 2018

Modern large room. big tv with great picture. comfy bed. Friendly front desk staff and AMAZING location. room was super clean. pool and hot tub area very relaxing. parking very convenient. staff helpful with recommendations.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Very disappointing to check in at 11:30 at night, only to check out 15 minutes later and hunt for another room ...

I knew that the exterior was going to be a bit rustic, but the nice lobby perked my ears up, and I knew I booked a "recently renovated King ocean view Suite" ...just what the doctor ordered. The room as described was a bit confusing, so I was not sure what to expect. The "suite" was basically a 2 bedroom, so a normal hotel room with bathroom, then another room with just a bed. Weird. We checked in late, so maybe this place looks better in the sunlight, but the room lighting, mold in the bathroom and concrete walls made this feel like a spooky insane asylum and I got the willies just being in the room. Certainly unable to relax or sleep. The balcony offered no respite, as it was without lighting, unkempt and uninviting.

I went back down to the lobby and asked to be moved, but they were sold out amazingly. The guy at the front desk said that he had a cleaner and nicer room available for me to stay in our 2nd night (but that one cost more than the $300 per night I already paid), but that was no consolation. If they offered the first night free and the second night in a nicer room at a discount, I still don't think I would have stayed ... I am not otherwise high maintenance. I have stayed in 2 and 3 star hotels in the Caribbean. This is not that.

It seems as though there are pictures on their website from a building north of the main building, and that might house better rooms. I would not chance it though.

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

This was the fourth time staying here,my husband and I had been here as recent as May ‘18. We planned this trip months in advance, a few weeks before we came I called and said that it would be our 38th anniversary and could we get a special room. We got there a little early, the room that was offered to us was not the special one I had expected. We decided to wait a bit for the “special” one to be ready. It ended up being ready around 4:30. The staff was apologetic and offered to comp the parking fee. That was very nice but had worried that we were getting off on the wrong foot. Next we were informed that the complimentary rooftop breakfast was no longer offered. I was never informed about that change, though that was available when I first made the reservation in June “18. We totally missed that experience of eating breakfast up there. That had been a motivator and a perk for staying there. While the rooms are remodeled and the view amazing, the place is in need of repairs. The location is prime, within walking distance to everything. The last time we were here the balcony patio door wouldn’t close and was broken. We called for service and the guy couldn’t figure out how to fix it and said we could move to a different room, but I had already unpacked. My husband ended up showing the guy how to fix the door. I let that go, since we had so enjoyed staying there. The elevator is slow and a little questionable. Unfortunately this experience that I had wanted to be great for our anniversary was kinda enlightening that customer service or management is not up to par. Not sure about how we feel about returning.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank dottyc60
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Honestly, I do not like to write bad reviews as I don't have any axes to grind. But when my wife made reservations at the LaJolla Cove Hotel & Suites for a 3 night stay to attend a friend's special engagement, both of us were under the impression that we would be in one of their ocean view rooms, mostly because that is what the facility photos showed.

Not so fast.

When we checked in, we were told we were in a non-ocean view room, but that it looked over the pool area. Since my wife and I figured to be out and about a lot, a view of the pool seemed acceptable. After all, La Jolla is blessed with incredible ocean views just about anywhere you go.

However, when we got to our room the view wasn't of the pool (see our photos), but of the parking lot below the pool area, which was about 2 floors above our room. Next, the room itself was about half the size of a Motel 6 room with a bathroom that was about the same size of a restroom aboard a Boeing 737 - including the shower! You literally cannot dry off in the bathroom without bumping your elbows on the walls.

When we arrived around 3:00pm, the room was warm and somewhat muggy despite the windows being open. As I lived in the San Diego area many years ago, I am familiar with the climate and understand that the humidity on the coast can be a little higher than in other areas. However, when we went to turn on the air conditioning - surprise! - there was no air conditioner! Just a couple of vertical fans. When we called down to the front desk, we were told that some of the rooms in our "class of room" did not include air conditioning. And of course, we were never informed of this in advance. And if we cancelled any of the 3 nights of our reservation, we would lose the money we already paid in advance. So since we try to travel on a budget, and considering last minute La Jolla prices, that was not an option.

Finally, as we were tired of traveling on a sardine can flight and wanted rest, we opted to stay. However, when we tried to close and lock the windows before going to bed, we discovered the windows would not lock!!! So again, after calling the front desk, a nice young man arrived with - wait for it... window clamps! Yep, see the photos. I have never, in all my decades of business and personal travel, had to lock my windows with window clamps! And all for the discounted price of over $400 for 3 nights! Fortunately, we don't travel with cash or valuables, but personal safety does not appear to be a priority with this facility.

Anyway, we did find the pool and hot tub, and they were a pleasant surprise. The water was clean in both and the hot tub was relatively hot. Also, the staff we dealt with were friendly, professional, and polite - so not all of the stay has been a total nightmare.

Unfortunately, my wife and I were not impressed with the room and its TV that would occasionally randomly reboot - and especially the microscopic bathroom, lack of air conditioning, and the lack of appropriate security. I think it is safe to say we will never be staying at this facility again in the future.

And if you still decide to book a room here - make sure you confirm an ocean view room in advance - before you commit to the reservation! We made a mistake and will take responsibility for that oversight, but feel it our responsibility to let others know so they will not make the same mistake!

Room tip: We did not end up in an ocean view room, so we cannot offer any suggestions other than KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING BEFORE YOU COMMIT.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends