“Great outdoor mall with lots of variety”
Review of Westfield UTC

Westfield UTC
Ranked #47 of 79 things to do in La Jolla
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Westfield UTC as I was staying at the Embassy suites right opposite the mall. So convenient! Plenty of variety to choose from and there are so many shops to see. I particularly love Fashion Q (really affordable young clothes) and Seasons52 (happy hours and steak). The outdoor mall concept is also refreshing as compared to Asian malls too.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Westfield UTC in University City is an awesome outdoor mall. It is super clean and has a great variety of stores and restaurants and even a movie theatre. I’m looking forward to all of the new stores that are coming in soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Recently renovated and still opening new shops, boutiques, and eateries, UTC is a much more desirable place to go with teenagers and the whole family.

There’s quite a wide array of restaurants and more of a good selection of healthy choices now compared to previously.

My kids’ vegan friends have even found an array of options.... well done, Westfield!

It’s great to have some fun specialty shops such as Sugarfina, Jo Malone, and others that were previously more difficult to find.

I love all the seating areas outside, many with shade. Thank you!

I am wary of how the flow of cars in and out will work once everyone has to stop at the entry to get a ticket and stop at the exit to pay, or even to co firm non-payment.

I anticipate line-ups of cars out onto the surface streets.... and people are not going to be thrilled with the heightened sense of hassle required to shop at UTC. That will be a very real factor. Right now it’s still rather complex to park in the multi-level structure even without having to pay.

When Westfield adds one more barrier (stopping at entry to get a ticket and stoppibg at exit to pay or not pay for tickets) you may see shoppers just decide it’s not worth the hassle to deal with the backup of cars and logistical mess of long lines of cars trying to get in and out.

It may not even be the issue of people having to pay for staying over 2 hours.... it will be the issue of long lines of cars; lost tickets; machines and people malfunctioning; and the concurrent frustrations of other people caught in the lines of cars behind. Just so e thoughts to share with Westfield management!

Reviewed 6 May 2018

I just went to UTC for lunch today and we found a new restaurant-Eureka. They have a Sunday brunch, but we opted for burgers & craft beer. My daughter had the classic hamburger (very good) and I had the burger with fig jam, goat cheese, arugula and bacon ( yummy!). There were plenty of choices for craft beer too. I had a porter and my daughter had a wheat beer. Both very good. The ambiance outside was peaceful, with a waterfall feature. It is dog friendly too. Next time, I’ll bring my dog. Would highly recommend going there.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 May 2018

This shopping center is across from the Embassy Suites on La Jolla Dr., in San Diego. It is a nice and well-designed center filled with eating places of various food and shopping made of trending chain stores. There are very few specialty stores with original merchandise, the rest of the stores are well-known luxury and casual stores found everywhere in USA, nothing I had not seen before.
I like to find specialty stores when I am away from my area, a very hard thing to do in this age of massification.
However, the decorative part of this shopping center is very unique with their attractive sculptures, statues, music coming out from the vegetation, special lighting and various seating arrangements that really make the center very inviting. Public bathrooms are spectacular, they look like living rooms.
More stores will come to this area, thus it is in construction at this time.
Valentina