4 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$322
FindHotelUS$333
Reviews (1 414)
1 414 results
All reviews top floor cusp restaurant floor restaurant ocean view san diego short walk to the beach kimpton driveway balconies california
Selected filters
14 - 19 of 1 414 reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2021

Stayed there the week of June 23. We had a wonderful experience. The room was beautiful and the service was fantastic. This is the place to stay in La Jolla. Mike the general manager was incredibly helpful. We will be back next trip.

Room tip: We had a room with an ocean view and a balcony. Sunsets were gorgeous.
1  Thank conlawprof
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2021

Greetings conlawprof,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about your recent experience with us.

The team and myself appreciate that we have the opportunity to daily welcome new faces with the hope of being able to our guests again next time their travels point them in our direction. It is certainly not the easiest of tasks these days to manage a hotel with the amount of constraints as well as with the level of expectations of a few. I personally appreciated the face that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay as well as we can count on you to return.

We appreciate you and your kind words!

All my best to you!

Reviewed 4 July 2021

Poor parking system. We had to pick up our own food for room service. Air system so loud it wakes you up in the middle of the night. Musty smelling rooms. The Building needs a refresh. It doesn't matter that you are a Hilton honors member.

Date of stay: July 2021
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Greetings Macrose6,

I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with us. It is of course our intention to do everything that we can to ensure our guests are having an enjoyable stay.

I am uncertain about your challenges with our parking system. We do charge for parking. Our system is the first time that you arrive you do take a ticket and then exchange that ticket at the front desk for an overnight pass billable to your room. The pass does have a barcode and should be scanned upon exit and entrance consecutively. I am sorry again if there was a challenge with the process.

Also, I would like to apologize that we are still in the process of getting our restaurant back on its feet. The outlet has been close for the better part of the last year and half. Due to the roller coaster of a year that we have had with occupancy, as well as getting the team back together its slowed down the pace of being back to normal. We are thankful that we have so many options outside our door and again, I apologize that you had to venture out to grab a bite.

The remaining items certainly do center around your last statement - the building does need a few improvements. We are certainly not the newest hotel in the area. We do have a solid infrastructure and the bones of the hotel certainly have history. There was a laundry list of items at the start of 2020 that we set to be done to the hotel. We are still in the process of resetting and hopefully starting to turn a corner with all our lives where we can get back to normal and continue with some of the plans that we have.

As I have remarked to many and will continue to, we value our Hilton Honors members. You are in so many ways our foundation. Not only guests in general give us a chance to come to work each day, but also our Honors members support the thousands of Hilton hotels that are out there. We never want to hear that you felt that you did not and do matter.

If you are ever in the area again, I do encourage you to reach out to me and let me know if you would like to return. I am always eager to improve upon past experiences as well as ensure that I do what I can to show our guests that they are valuable.

Cheers to you and I apologize again that this recent experience was not as great as we all would have liked.

Reviewed 2 July 2021

This was my first stay at a hotel in 16 months and I was pleasantly surprised to find a cautious approach within the hotel to ensuring COVID transmission possibilities were minimized. While the restaurant was not available during the week and room service was not possible, the staff were incredibly accommodating and friendly. The rooms were clean and gave a sense of personal security that allowed me to focus on the business purpose of my visit. And the bed was INCREDIBLY comfortable! I would certainly stay here again as I am sure I will be back in La Jolla in the not too distant future. Thanks to everyone at the hotel for looking after me.

Room tip: Above floor 5 gets a great ocean view
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Traveling-Lunatic

Greetings Traveling-Lunatic,

I think that COVID certainly is and has been the elephant in the room. We have taken and still continue to take a cautious approach on this. For the last year and a half, we have done our best to follow both our brand standards (Clean Stay Program) as well as state and local guidelines. It has not been easy, but as of late, just because of these guidelines have been lessened or lifted, we want to still make sure that those guests who stay with us are as protected and well looked after as possible.

As each of our lives have been affected differently - we have wanted to maintain our environment as much as possible, and also sprinkle in the return of some normalcy, at a cautious pace. Our restaurant has been impacted the hardest but, due to increases in occupancy as well as being able to welcome more team members back and to the property it has helped us start to get it slowly back in the swing. There is certainly more of aways to go however you appreciation for our efforts means more then you know.

I am thrilled to hear that you will come back and stay with us again. 2020 was certainly a year that we do not want to recall, and 2021, as much as its shaping up to be very positive, in so many ways for q4 as well as for 2022, we are optimistic that the light of "normal" is rapidly approaching.

We are all eager to welcome you back just as soon as your travels point you in our direction.

Best to you and yours.

Reviewed 30 June 2021 via mobile

As a Hilton Honors member I have come to take their quality for granted. In this instance it was a mistake. No services and was told to go to subway and Starbucks if we wanted food. Very indifferent front desk staff. A/C was so noisy we had to turn it off. Room was shabby and outdated. No bellman available. We had booked 2 days checked out early (first time ever in my 45 years of travel). This clearly is not a 4 star establishment not sure it even deserves a 1 star rating. Seriously reconsidering my membership in Hilton Honors.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2021

Greetings williameT2295VY,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us.

Reading your review, and others similar - the review prior had similar titles - is disheartening to see and hear.

I will be the first to admit that this last year and a half has not been easy. Thankfully, we have remained open throughout this pandemic, which has meant that we have been able to welcome guests as well as supply our team members with a way to support their families. Prior to March of last year, there were 110 team members here - now there are 24, and at one time there were only 12 of us. We are working to rebuild our team and welcome back those that have not moved on. It would be nice to be able to just welcome anyone, but we do have high standards and those positions that we have not been able to fill yet, it is by wanting to do our best for each other and for you as our guest.

Our state has not be the gentlest on the hospitality industry as well as adding on continual uncertainly globally and its been a roller coaster of a year. Comparing a this year to that of 45 years of travel, feels slightly unfair. I completely understand your point and the message you are trying to convey - just seems like we all would have wanted to flip and switch and be normal again, however that for all of us here has just started two weeks ago.

The hotel does feature a fantastic restaurant, which we are striving to get reopened after being closed for the last year and a half. With ever changing occupancy, staffing levels in question, and also state and local guidelines that we have had to follow throughout this, we are just starting to see the light - and with that light we have had the opportunity to reopen as we can on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Is it the best for all our guests - of course not, would be like to do more - 100% - however is it going to happen soon - my guess is probably the same as yours. However, what I can say is that we are trying. La Jolla does however have so many wonderful restaurants, not just Starbucks outside our door - but a block from the hotel you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner easily!

With the other items outlined in your review: room and A/C and being a bit dated... The hotel was looking at starting to make a few changes last year, however again, I had to bring up the elephant in the room, but our timing could not have been worse. We have put our plans to the side and are looking to bring them back out either towards the end of this year or next year.

In reading this, I take all our reviews, both the 5-Star to the 1-Star personally. I think of this hotel like it is my own. The team that we have assembled here are not just numbers and names, they are hard working individuals.Is our hotel the newest, the lastest and the great - not at all. However what I can saw is that our location is quite priceless, as well as the team of hoteliers that we have assembled are truly awesome.

Before you turn in your cancellation notice to Hilton - reconsider the timing and just how much of an impact that our hotel has had. There are others who probably have fared better then we have - kudos to them - however, we are trying to get back up to the level that we were and beyond that. Be patient with us, and if you are willing to stay here again, please reach out to me. If not, I completely understand. I do ask that from the global brand, don't use us as the example of why you would leave your membership.

I wish you and yours all the best.

Reviewed 30 June 2021

I have been working as an ICU nurse this entire pandemic and was looking forward to my stay as this was my first real break and first vacation since the pandemic. I should’ve stayed somewhere else. It was a lot so I’ll only share my first 6 hours at the hotel.When I first entered my room it was extremely dusty and there were very visible cobwebs. I phoned down to inquire about the cleanliness of the room and front desk clerk asked if I wanted to come downstairs to switch rooms. I had just flew across the country, there was no way I was picking up my bags again. I asked if room service could come clean up and they sent one lady up. I had to call back down again for cleaning because there were still problems like hair in my shower after the cleaning person came to clean up again. Long story short, if you stay here just be aware that the cleaning staff goes home at 4pm and check in time is at 4pm.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2021

Greetings T637TYashleyl9,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on your recent experience with us.

First and foremost, the team and I would like to let you know that we appreciate the services that you provided during the pandemic. It hasn't been easy for any of us and the dedication of the front line has been remarkable.

Traveling at this time has not been easy. With mandates and rules ever changing from state to state and city to city its been hard to keep up. I would like to apologize that the room was not completely ready for you when you entered. I know that some of our rooms, due to extreme increases and decreases in occupancy and changing staffing levels has caused some inconsistencies to be more noticeable then in the past.

We kindly offer our guests, like all hotels, should they not like their first room we would like to find them something that is suitable for them. I am sorry that it was a long day and allowing us to find something else for you was not possible. Also, I apologize that the team member that we sent up to your room did not re clean it better. I am certain that it was not for a lack of effort, but possibly just something got overlooked.

Yes, our housekeeping team members do look after the property for a good part of the day and there is also someone here each evening looking after our hotel.

I again apologize that the experience with not positive and caused you stress.

Best,