4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Curio.com
eDreamsUS$322
TraveluroUS$353
Reviews (1 414)
1 414 results
All reviews top floor cusp restaurant floor restaurant ocean view san diego short walk to the beach kimpton driveway balconies california
Selected filters
21 - 26 of 1 414 reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2021

We have been excited to travel again, however, this hotel is not ready to receive customers and blamed every thing on COVID19 including their absolute poor customer service. I have booked two rooms 403/404 from June 12 at about $350 per night for 5 and 3 nights. As a HHonor Diamond member I was never acknowledged as one, promised to be upgraded but they never delivered on their promises and when asked for late checkout they gave me till noon which is the standard checkout and when I complained they settled to give me for one of the rooms till 1:30PM. Also, none of the hotel restaurants and bars are open nor any room/cleaning service. The hotel failed to advise customers that all their facility is closed, typically this done at the hotel website. In name of COVID19, somehow, they did not give us the free water bottle nor the 1000 mile bonus mile owed to a Dimond member. Till date I am still waiting for official apology from the Hotel general manager.

Team Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton and management, could you please explain what COVID has to do with poor service and rudeness???

The General Manager Know who I am, and it is up to him to owe to his missteps. Till then, I highly recommend to all to find another brand hotel.

As a HHonor for 21 years I owe it to the brand Hilton to give this blunt review.

Date of stay: June 2021
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2021

Greetings AKKAUB,

Thank you first and foremost for taking the time to submit a review on your recent experience with us. We value our guest’s feedback as it does assist us to get the word out on our property, not just by how and what we choose to market, but also reviews tend to paint a picture as to what other travels are feeling and saying about their time in specific locations.

I would like to accept responsibility and of course take ownership for some of the items that you had mentioned in your review. Your interactions prior to your stay were with myself and I tried to be as honest prior to so that you knew what we did and did not have available. To me, I am honest and forthright with our guests as this is not your typical time of travel and the more you know the better suited you are to enjoy your time.

Prior to your arrival, you and I spoke and I did let you know that we do value our Diamond Members and all Honors Members. I know that we talked about your status, and your desire for an upgrade. Regretfully as I had let you know, I would try my best but with a full hotel, I did not have any options for the first couple of nights. We did talk about moving your room after the first two nights. Since I do not recall meeting you, and I believe your wife and son were here - I had spoken to them at arrival as well as throughout their stay to see if they were interested in moving. After the second night, I had spoken with your wife and we did hold a room for you. But there was not any follow up and at that point assumed that the two rooms were accepting to stay where they were.

Housekeeping, like all other departments are trying their best. With increased clean stay standards, and our own protocols, we are unable to extend both the rooms a 1:30p check out that you desired. We did offer one room a 12:00p as well as we did end up offering a 1:30p check out to show you that we understood your complaint.

Our hotel restaurant as we spoke about as well prior to your arrival, as it was shared at check in, was open on the Saturday night of your arrival. However as did talk about as well prior to your stay, the restaurant would be closed on the Sunday and Monday nights of your stay. We did talk about close options and ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as local area restaurants that deliver etc.

As we again discussed prior to as well as upon check in, our website on Hilton.com does outline our current closures. I believe that you did have some questions on the ap if I recall correctly, but I may be mistaken. At the top of our website there is a yellow strip that outlines what is available and is not. As some like to, calling the hotel directly, just like you did prior to your stay, to get the most accurate updates, is always suggested and appreciated.

As far as the complimentary water, we typically give these out at arrival and the 1000 points is given upon departure. If the water was not presented at arrival, I do apologize. With regards to the points at times I have heard that it is not immediate, but it does take a couple of weeks for you to see in your account.

At the beginning of my response, as well as now at the end, I personally apologize on behalf of my team, myself and the brand.

Best to you and your family.

Reviewed 12 June 2021

Hotel Curio is modern, clean and so comfortable. The staff is wonderful. The hotel is located in the perfect spot- away from the bustle of the cove but within a short walking distance of the beach and some great restaurants

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2021

Greetings tisssh2021,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us.

The team and myself are extremely thankful that we received such a positive review from you. This last year has been a year unlike any other. As I am sure you have seen, most are eager this year to discuss their displeasure with hotels and businesses. Our reviews have simply not been as positive as we would care for due to this. Our of the several 1000s that we have the pleasure to welcome each month, the guests that seem to want to share their experiences focus on that of how terrible we are as a hotel and also who we are as hoteliers. Your review did the contrary and I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air it was to reach that we were exactly what you were looking for through all aspects.

I am hopeful that this year can be a chapter that many of us look back to and forget. However it has certainly taught us countless lessons and as people, professionals serving our guests, we eager to move forward and to continue to do our best with every effort to receive more positive reviews such as yours.

You are welcome back at any time and please reach out to me and I will personally look after you.

Best to you and yours!

Reviewed 8 June 2021

2 night stay 6/15/2021 and 6/16/2021
DIRTY! OLD! STAINED ,POOR FITTED BED LINEN!!!!!!! What a nightmare. We booked a 2 night stay in a deluxe King Room. When we entered the lobby we knew we made a mistake but we had already returned our rental car and we were stuck. We were informed contrary to what was stated on their website the restaurant was only open at night.So breakfast was not an option. We asked if they offered complimentary coffee in the lobby they said no, there is a Starbucks down the road. We had had 2 amazing stays at 2 other California Hotels before coming to La Jolla Curio Hotel and although due to Covid services were limited, their restaurants were open and there was always complimentary coffee in the lobby the the service was impeccable.
I asked for towels, after 3 hour wait no-one brought them to our room I had to go down to the lobby to get them myself.
But here is what was absolutely ruined our stay. The bed linens were dirty and stained and the fitted sheet was too small to completely cover the mattress. The only choice, sleep without them on the bed, Totally Gross!!! never had such an experience in ANY hotel before.
When I returned to New York I called to report tis problem and ask for a refund ( or partial refund) I was told they contacted the hotel but they denied my request.
I asked if a supervisor or someone from corporate head quarters could contact me. I WAS ASSURED that someone would contact me within 24 hours to 48 hours. Nobody ever did.
Even as valued gold members our problem was not resolved and was completely dismissed.
NEVER AGAIN!

Date of stay: May 2021
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2021

Greetings Jeffrey2379,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your experience with us.

I would first and foremost like to apologize for the challenges, especially the linens that were on your bed. This is not to our standard, and I am baffled by how that was on a bed. We do have all our linens handled by a third party however we ourselves should have caught this. I will be sharing these pictures with our team as well as our laundry company to figure out where the disconnect is.

Additionally, we have been trying to get our restaurant open fully but due to staffing and occupancy limitations we have not been able to open it fully. Thankfully we usually have decent occupancy on the weekends so we are able to comfortably open it, however it still remains a challenge.

I did check out logs that we keep to see what may have happened and I don't have the request noted down here. I would like to apologize as we do keep track and I will speak with the team as to ensuring that we are tracking and also that the wait time you outlined is unacceptable.

Finally, regretfully, I we usually get a note from Hilton when there is a guest issue. I will look into this and see where the disconnect happened.

I know that an apology does not recreate a bad stay. I do apologize.

Please reach out to me if you ever consider giving us another try down the road.

Best,

Reviewed 8 June 2021

My wife checked in at 11am. One person at the desk and she inquired about assistance with luggage. (She dropped me off at a clients earlier so I am not there to help her). She was told that she would have to carry all the luggage on her own. They pointed to a luggage rack. At the restaurant (touted as a great one), the menu is more like a bar menu, (burger, pizza, chicken fingers). The waitress takes an order and promptly forgets to put it in. 30 minutes later we are still waiting for water and silverware. When we ask to the table to be setup, we ask how much longer for the food, this is when she asks what we ordered. She forgot we even ordered so we had to reorder. On the next day when we came back from our meetings at 6pm, the room was still not made up. We called and were informed that due to COVID we needed to request to have the room cleaned and made. I completely understand, but it would have been nice if they informed my wife and perhaps had a note in the room that explained this. At checkout of course, no one to help with luggage.
This hotel is supposed to be on the top end of Hilton's line of hotels. With a great location and great views of the ocean you would expect a higher level of service. We are greatly disappointed and will not stay there again. We have been loyal Hilton brand customers for over 20 years and this hotel is not worth the money. If you need to stay in La Jolla, go to Torrey Pines Hilton.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank richardlG2742EY

Greetings richardlG2742EY,

Thank you first and foremost for taking the time to submit a review about your/ your wife's recent experience with us. I would personally like to apologize for the areas in which we missed the mark in delivering hospitality and service that we are known for.

We were pleased to be able to get your wife in early in the day. With our normal check in at 4:00pm on a Friday when she arrived, usually we cannot get our guests in that early with our check out time of 11:00a. However I know that there was some work at the desk to get her a great room.

As you had outlined in the morning, we do have limited team members on and I apologize that there was only one person at the desk that morning. We have had limited staffing recently due to COVID and we are in the process of bringing back more of our team member as we are starting to ramp up in occupancy due to the summer months ahead.

Also, as it seems the largest let down was the error that the server made in the restaurant. I would also like to apologize for that as well. Again, similar to our front desk, we are operating with limited team members in the restaurant. Its not been easy to bring back most as the outlet has been closed for over a year. Those that have come back its taken work to get them here and we are extremely thankful to be able to have team members who are dedicated to our hotel and restaurant.

At our front desk there are two large signs, during the reservation process, on our website, on our confirmations, we do outline the limited availability and housekeeping services that we provide. I am certain that at check in we should have told her verbally, but at the same time, there was a lot of focus on getting your wife in early. As I am sure that you noticed, there are limited items in the room - we have done away with pens and paper, reading material and the like to limit the items that are touched. The housekeeping protocol is a hilton standard and its for your protection as well as ours.

I appreciated your acknowledging our great location. We are hopeful that as we continue to crawl out of the pandemic, our services and outlets will and can return to normal. I am sorry that you will not stay here again based upon the limited services and team members that we are able to offer during this time. Its not typical, and as I am sure you have seen most hotels are limited in their offerings. Those that are not, have been able to bounce back quicker then others, and we wish that was us. However the impact has been truly felt.

If I can ever be assistance to you presently or in the future, I am willing to extend a hand at any time.

Best to you and your wife during this abnormal time...

Reviewed 29 May 2021

We will definitely go back to stay there. Great hotel & customer service. We really enjoyed CUSP for my daughter’s birthday. We had a room with an amazing view . Girls didn’t want to leave the pool.

Date of stay: May 2021
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Michael Murrell, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2021

Greetings vivianasilva17,

Thank you first and foremost for taking the time to submit a review on your recent experience with us. We depend heavily on our guests sharing their experiences with others in order to have the opportunity to welcome new guests. Over this last year, we have all had our challenges. When our guest express their appreciation, highlight amenities, and the service that they received while they were here goes a long way for us.

Our restaurant as you were able to enjoy is slowly starting to open. As its been closed for roughly a year, assembling back the team, re inventorying, and slowly increasing occupancy have been areas in which we putting effort so that we can get it open again.

We are pleased that the girls enjoyed the pool!

Hopefully we can welcome you all back sooner then later!

Best,