“Great Kayak Lesson with Matt”

Sierra South Mountain Sports
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Kernville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sierra South has been in business 30+ years and offers: The oldest, largest, and most experienced whitewater kayaking school in Southern California. As well as, guided whitewater raft trips on the Kern River through Kernville as well as on the Upper Kern's Class III-V sections north of town. We offer recreational kayak trips on Lake Isabella, rock climbing courses at local climbing areas, standup paddleboard (SUP) rentals & classes, and river tube rentals and shuttles at the end of the whitewater season. We also have a brick-and-mortar outfitters store stocked with gear, clothing, and gifts for paddling and mountain sports adventures. We are centrally located in the river town of Kernville, with a view of the Kern from our deck. Since 1995 an online River Store, where an actual person who knows paddling will handle your order and/or answer the customer service line. We support the Kern Valley River Council, the annual Kern River Festival, and Kern River Streambed and Park Restoration Project. This is an award-winning location for those scouting for film, television, and print media.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We done several rafting and IK trips with Sierra South and always had a good time and been pleased with everything about Sierea South. I wanted my son to continue to work on his Whitewater Kayaking skills so I signed him up for a 1/2 day private lessons. As always everyone was helpful and informative. What really stood out was the quality of my son's teacher Matt. He did a great job of explaining things (my son was working on his roll) and giving him helpful information to continue tuning his skills. My son had a great time and left with a reliable flat water roll.

Sierra S, Public Relations Manager at Sierra South Mountain Sports, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Evan, Thank you so much for the favorable review. I will be sure to pass it along to Matt. Glad to hear that Nathan achieved his goal. Hope to see you both again soon.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"trips"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Our guide was Gaven! He was really funny and was a great raft guide!! We tip the boat and fell out and swam in the keen river so we can say we had a full experience! Excellent trip I enjoyed it!

Sierra S, Public Relations Manager at Sierra South Mountain Sports, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Mila,
Thank you for the review. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Gavin. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

I was honored and amazed to get an instructor at the level of Johnny Chase. This guy is amazing and well known as an Expert in whitewater kayaking and yet he is still patient with newbies like me. If you go for private instruction you will learn a lot in a visit to Sierra South. Recommend private kayak lessons here as you will learn from him for sure.

Sierra S, Public Relations Manager at Sierra South Mountain Sports, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Thank you Doug. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your private class. Johnny Chase is a wonderful and patient instructor and overall a great person. I will pass along the review to Johnny and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

`We had a fantastic time white water rafting! John V was very thorough and informative!! CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN!

Sierra S, Public Relations Manager at Sierra South Mountain Sports, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Faye,
Thank you for your kind words. I will pass your compliments on to John. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.