“A great hidden place!”

Hana Japanese Restaurant
Get food delivered
Ranked #107 of 269 Restaurants in Fairfield
Reviewed 8 October 2019

We ended up here by accident, after the restaurant we sought out was unexpectedly closed. Not being from the area, we did a quick Yelp search (imagine that!) and found this place nearby. It is what I would now consider a "hidden gem," for what it offers and for the overall experience. It is tucked into a mini-strip mall right off a main street, and the outside is very nondescript. However, don't let that stop you from seeking it out and enjoying its many menu options. The place is small, not much seating, and was about half filled when we arrived with several tables waiting to be cleared as signs of even more activity - definitely a popular place. The decor is nice, with a sushi bar where you can sit or tables for couples to families. Well lit and basic, it has awesome wood covered menus with "wood burned" images and lettering to set a different tone, and the pages of the menu (and some of the loose flyers like daily specials) are very colorful and beautiful. I don't normally include menu photos but I have in this case, to share the uniqueness of these menus with you. It took a few minutes for service as there was only one server for everyone, but this allowed us time to thoroughly browse an extensive menu and several options for lunch specials. We finally decided on some traditional likes and some new items. The "Super Bowl" roll is a traditional California Roll, deep fried and with a special "house sauce." We also ordered 2 Bento box lunch specials (two items, with miso soup, salad and rice) - I ordered the tofu teriyaki and vegetable tempura, and my cohort in cuisine ordered the chicken teriyaki and sashimi - 3 pieces. We also ordered a Cherry Blossom roll (salmon with tuna on top and tobiko garnish), and the Hella Spicy roll (tempura, jalapeno, avocado, cucumber and unami sauce drizzle). The food arrived quickly with the exception of my bento box - based on the hot temperature of the tempura, it was freshly made! The soup was good but with little crouton like floaters, most likely tempura cubes I'd guess. Should've asked! The bento boxes were nicely presented, and the chicken teriyaki was plentiful and tender. The sashimi was tasty, and in my box the tofu teriyaki was crispy and one side and had enough brown sauce for my taste, with a slight sprinkling of sesame seeds. Very nice. The tempura, though, was what I call "starch" heavy - too many root/tuber veggies for my liking. There was a zucchini slice, a broccoli head, and yams and squash. Not enough variety, as I am not too fond of yams and such. The tempura coating was light and delicious, and aside from needing more greens and less starchies, the tempura was good. The rice in the boxes was formed into a heart, another cute and unexpected delight here! The Super Bowl roll was lightly battered as well, not greasy and the end pieces, cut off and on the plate but separate, made me believe there was another roll on the plate - took a few minutes to figure out. In that Super Bowl match-up I clearly lost. The roll was very good, though, and the house made sauce - a white sauce with brown drizzle incorporated into it - was a taste I can only describe as slightly sweet, and it was used to the last drop! The Cherry Blossom roll was almost too pretty to eat (but we did!) and the Hella Spicy roll was new for me if only for the addition of the jalapeno. And spicy it was! No need to add wasabi or ginger - I didn't dare try it. I would ask for more unami sauce next time, as it lent itself to the heat flavor nicely. The food was delicious on many levels, and the service was good and professional, especially since one server was handling the crowd by himself. This place is a nice little find, from the menus to the food to the rice hearts. I'm glad our go-to was closed, for now we have a new go-to!

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (2)
Reviewed 25 March 2019 via mobile

Went to Hana for sushi thay have a box that has 2 main dishes rice and salad o so good and all kinds of sushi rolls and dips very good this place is great if you want Japanese food this is the best place for it.

Date of visit: March 2019