“Delightful Step Back in History”

Columbia State Historic Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic Gold Rush town was made a state park in 1945. Between the 1850s and 1870s over one-half billion dollars in gold (at today's value) was mined in the area.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A friend and I visited Columbia State Historic Park without much background on the area or the park, and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Several of the buildings provide educational information that was really illuminating. But I think what we enjoyed most was the overall atmosphere. You really feel transported back to a different time with the buildings, folks in costume, and activities. I would highly recommend a visit. I also think this is a great activity for multi-generational groups because the park has something to offer for everyone.

1  Thank ChicagoTravelingNow
in 15 reviews
"early california"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 8 March 2018

I love the place and the history. Some of my ancestors were there during the Gold Rush. My great grandfather stayed until 1857 when he returned home to Wisconsin. He was a miner from Cornwall. He kept a journal for 17 years and told about his day-to-day life in the Gold Country. A copy of the journal was donated to the Columbia Museum. Lots of interesting things to see and do in Columbia and kids have fun panning for gold and riding on a stage coach. It is a good family place.

1  Thank louisew806
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Columbia State Park has the look and feel from the gold rush days of 1849. Adults and children of all ages can experience gold panning, take a horse drawn carriage ride through the town, visit the old school and jail, and even visit the old dry goods store. The museum is a neat experience to learn about the history and even dress the family up in the vintage clothing for a few photo ops. There is always music playing in the street and the food at the local pubs and restaurant is wonderful. Mostly, it’s free to explore the cool town. This trip will not disappoint! We have been many times and will continue to visit. P. S. -don’t forget to visit the old town candy shop!

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Recently I had the opportunity to take a stroll thru Old Town Columbia CA. What a great time we had. From the gold Rush history to the reenactment of the 1800's it's truly a great place to take young ones to see how the Gold Rush shaped California, especially the Mother Lode. Plan on a few hours, visit the establishments and enjoy! You will walk quite a bit but it will be well worth it.

1  Thank truckerdan2016