“Lovely space but not as good as I remembered”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Carmel, Il Fornaio offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. Reservation Confirmation Message: Thank you for choosing Il Fornaio - Carmel. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you Grazie e Ciao
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We’ve eaten here many times. It’s a beautiful space with great service but the food left me wanting. It lacked seasoning and real flavor. Seems they are resting on their laurels and reputation.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Judy and I enjoyed a very good Valentine's dinner there recently, topped off at its conclusion by a fine zabaglione...perhaps the best we've enjoyed since a spectacular dinner at Giglio's on Francisco Street in San Francisco years ago.

We often go to Il Fornaio for special occasions and will no doubt continue to do so.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

We enjoyed our meals and the wine list had some nice local representation. It was clean and quite pleasing aesthetically. But it never stopped feeling corporate. If it felt personal this would have been an enthusiastic rating rather than one trying to be polite

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed Il Fornaio for a night out. Although a “chain” restaurant the service and food were wonderful. Made reservations through Open Table and although the restaurant was packed, they sat us right away. Jose, our server, was extremely attentive and friendly. I eat a plant-based diet and we were able to find some options!

Reviewed 26 February 2018

My husband and I stopped by for dinner while we were roaming the streets of Carmel. We have eaten here many times in the past, though we hadn't eaten here for several years. We thought of it as a good, dependable restaurant to get good Italian food. This time however,we did not receive our regular warm bread, appetizer selection had shrunk, and the main menu didn't seem as appealing as it used to. I was disappointed with my Caeser salad, out appetizers were not great and our main dishes were good...not great. Maybe we hit them on a slow night- and we had an early dinner. I hope it was just an off night.

1  Thank Elise R