“Eat with a view”

Good for: Romantic, View details
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palo Colorado Cyn
Transit: Monterey Salinas Transit stops one mile north of Rocky Point Restaurant
Description: Rocky Point Restaurant is open at 11:30 am to sunset. Please call 831.624.2933 for additional information. Rocky Point Restaurant is located 10 miles south of Carmel, a mere fifteen-minute scenic drive, on 36700 Highway 1, between Carmel and Big Sur, offering spectacular views of the sea and shore from all window tables. We are open every day - all day. Our guests may enjoy whale spouting, sea otters and pelicans. Enjoy breakfast or lunch on our ocean terrace or in our lounge, or have a romantic candlelight dinner while the sun is setting over the Pacific Ocean. After sunset, our powerful floodlights illuminate the rocks and shore. Please call for reservations.
Reviewed 19 June 2020

You can go wrong stopping and eating at Rocky point. Every seat in the place has an ocean view. menu is great and never had a bad meal here. Wait staff is always friendly and there for anything you need.

Date of visit: November 2019
3  Thank dfb311
Write a reviewReviews (1 250)

2 - 6 of 1 250 reviews

Reviewed 19 April 2020

One of my many possessions is a long empty bottle of red wine. The label said it was “Made Just For You Last Nite In Our Wine Cellar” with the tag line, “12 miles south of Carmel”. What makes this bottle special is that the owners of Rocky Point wrote a personal message wishing my parents a happy anniversary. This anniversary dinner must have been in the 1970s or 80s, before the gentlemen who signed the bottled sold the restaurant.

During this trip to Carmel we were the guest of great friends. They have made an annual pilgrimage to Carmel for many years. They were intent on showing us the Carmel they love including their favorite restaurants; there would be no condo cooked lunches or dinners. They were excited we would be spending a week with them. They were even more excited when we asked to visit Rock Point; a place they knew about, but had never been to.

The morning of our Rocky Point visit, we set out to explore the beaches and parks in the Big Sur area. We were working our way back to Carmel and pulled into Rock Point for a light, late lunch and a bottle of wine.

To get to Rocky Point you pull onto a narrow road off the Pacific Coast Highway that bends and curves through a groove of tall trees. Arriving at the front door, you know you are close to the ocean, but the best is yet to come. Walking through the front door and past the hostess stand, the full expanse of the Pacific Ocean lies before you.

Along the windows was a row of booths. The room is long and narrow. On the other side of the room is a large bar with stools and an excellent view of the ocean. At the far end of the dining room is a door leading to an outside deck. The deck had more seats. As it was February and very pleasant outside, this is where we choose to sit. A set of stairs led to a lower deck with additional tables. On this lower level was a grassy area with casual chairs and high top tables. From every seat in the house was a view of the ocean and a small bay.

Our server was great. He brought us a selection of appetizers. We ordered light realizing we had dinner reservations in a few hours. We also enjoyed a bottle of Paso Robles red wine. The sun was shining, the food was great, the service friendly and the wine was wonderful.

We told our story about the special wine bottle. It so happened one of the bar tenders, who also had managerial duties, had been with Rocky Point at the time of my parent’s visit. It had been a long time ago and his memories were vague, but it was great to talk with him.

We are already planning our next visit to Rocky Point. It will include a leisurely dinner on the deck timed so we can enjoy the sunset.

And Rocky Point is still “12 Miles South of Carmel”.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank TravelingGoose03
Reviewed 17 February 2020

On a trip to visit family on the Monterey Peninsula we decided to celebrate my daughters birthday at The Rocky Point Restaurant. It is located 10 miles south of Carmel on Highway 1. Make sure you make this trip during the day so that you can enjoy an absolutely stunning sunset ( that is if the weather is accommodating ). We arrived in time to get absolutely gorgeous pictures of the coast with the world famous Bixby bridg in the background. As for the restaurant itself, we were greeted by our server a Big Sur local named Jasmine. If you are not familiar with the coast and you would like to know more bout the hidden gems and secret locales I am sure that she would be the person to ask.
Jasmine was on top of her game and the food was forthcoming and she kept us hydrated. Most notable of the meals were the pasta dishes and the shrimp Louie. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her steak sandwich. What was most notable were the desserts, creme boulle and the rocky road cake ( which was beyond great).
If your are wanting to take world class pictures of the mountains and coastal scenery and enjoy some good food this is an easy trip to make if you are visiting the Monterey Peninsula. One warning, the VW busses loaded with hippies that used to make the trek to and fro the Big Sur area have been replaced by Tesla’s, Mercedes and electric cars that are loaded with techies and tourists. Having grown up in Carmel Valley which is located directly east of Big Sur over the coastal mountains I am ashamed to say this was the first time I have eaten here! Full disclosure, myself and Jasmine are alumni of Carmel high school. I believe I preceded her by about 20 years. Well worth the trip!!

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank jcan37
Reviewed 14 February 2020

Rocky Point is an old established restaurant in the area with the portions men like, prime rib falling off the plate.
Food is excellent and a great place to bring visitors to take in the beauty of Big Sur
Highly Highly Recommend it for lunch or dinner!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 29 January 2020 via mobile

I visited my daughter in January for my birthday she wanted to surprise me and take me to this beautiful restaurant. The location of this restaurant is the most beautiful, breathtaking, amazing place i have ever seen . It overlooks the Pacific Ocean surrounded by a path of beautiful plants, flowers, rocks that leads to a roped off area that you can hold on to and soak up the beauty that this place has to offer . The food is fantastic and reasonably priced my daughter and I enjoyed the veggie burger ....it was delicious! Wherever you decided to sit inside or outside you had an beautiful view. There is also a patio area that has rocking chairs and a fire pit . My daughter and I took so many beautiful pictures and enjoyed watching the waves crash up against the rocks . This will be a birthday that I will never forget ....I loved it so much♥️.....I took my husband the next day so he could experience for himself this beautiful place/. We both will definitely be back !

Date of visit: January 2020