“Very nice experience”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 5 November 2018

As majority of people I have to say that the scenery in Kobarid is amazing and definitely worth spending a weekend or even better a week. But this isn't the main point of this review, the main focus is the food, the service, friendliness, availability, quality, accommodation, ... and more features that define this high end restaurant in the outskirts of Slovenia.

So to start off with the food would be the logical way, we decided to go with max menue, the dishes were new, made of local ingredients and special overall a masterpiece in regard of playing with your taste buds. If you like something new and different you should pay them a visit.

Service was good, what I have lacked are Slovenian speaking bartenders, we got served ca. 3 dishes by Slovenian speaking waiter, the remainder was in Croatian or English which did arrouse a negative feeling, although we were explained at the beginning that this might happen.

Something about wines, the somelier was a bit insulted as we didn't go with the wine selection which he has prepared for the evening, so my wine glass was empty on a couple of occasions for quite sometime, this was a second slightly negative experience. But in his defence the wines proposed by him which we had were amazing.

Accommodation, the room was amazing with a terrace and a massag tub, this is a must do if visiting Hiša Franco, the rooms are I think 9 and 10.

General staff friendliness was genuine and on the high level so everybody made you feel welcome.

Breakfast, was one of then best breakfasts I had in my life, local food and tasty seasonal dishes.

Overall, it was a really nice experience, but the pricing was just crazy (for Slovenian standards) which also made me compare this event to my past gourmet experiences and if I look at the price/performance, it is not the top of what Slovenia can offer. Nevertheless I would recommed a visit to anyone.

Thanks for a nice evening to the Staff of HF.

1  Thank Urban M

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Very interesting place, creative cooking and perfect a-pairing between ingredients . You kill me with your crumble mushrooms. Please note some details . During drinking “ aperitif “ a little snack should be welcome, it’ s the same with coffee i really like to have a little home made sweet or chocolate . I was also really surprise to see the chief drinking gently is white wine instead of being with his team during service, but if is it working like this ... Usually it’s also interesting to see the chief at the end of the meal to give your feeling. One more think , please peak up the pig from the toilette room I really have the feeling that this place was reserved to children. I had to salute the international young team in the diner room , they were very good.
Bravo et continuez.

1  Thank marcnotarinni
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

We took a very scenic drive through mountains to visit Hisa Franko for lunch. The degustation was amazing. The staff were knowledgeable and explained every dish and ingredient origins. Perfect with matched wine (make sure you have a designated driver though). Fine dining at its very best.,

1  Thank AmandaACT
Reviewed 21 October 2018

I'm afraid that this review won't be terribly informative as I can only agree with the overwhelmingly positive impressions of others. I expected it to be great and it was. The food is inventive and tasty - and the menu does seem to change rather often (so don't expect to eat whatever you see described in the reviews), though the Soca valley trout (prepared many ways) does seem to be a mainstay. The local wines are somewhat unusual so I'm not sure that everyone will love them, but I did. The atmosphere and service was wonderful and we finished our evening having desert and coffee on the outside deck looking out over the mountains. A perfect evening - at a steep price for Slovenia but still surprisingly cheap for this type of restaurant experience anywhere else in the world.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank 12am
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Interesting flavours and combinations. Great service. Would definitely recommend wine by the glass / bottle rather than the tasting menu (friends got the tasting menu) for value. Trout and roebuck were my favourites.