“Consistent superb value from a little Gem of a Hotel in Randburg”

Apollo Conferencing Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Randburg
Reviewed 6 May 2015

I have recently returned to the Apollo Conferencing Hotel in Randburg to use the facilities to conduct training during which time I have stayed over in the Hotel, again (for the forth time in the last couple of months). Last week I checked into an hotel in Sandton to utilise my ProCard vouchers. Therefore, I am comparing my experience at a particular large hotel in Sandton to my current experience at a smaller hotel in Randburg which is not far from Sandton.
On checking in in the Sandton Hotel, I was extremely frustrated. The check in desk confused me about how I needed to use the ProCard system. My husband and I were keen to take advantage of the "freebees" of the system (which had cost me R1500 to subscribe to). We were shown to a room, past a shabby kitchen entrance and checked into a broom cupboard, too small to swing a cat in. I was so disappointed, because I had stayed in this hotel previously and had been quite impressed. On complaining, I was assured that the second "free" night would be better. I accepted the offer. I compare the check in procedure to the Apollo, where I was welcomed by friendliness and competence. The previous Sandton hotel came at a price three times the Apollo rates, and offered nothing better than the Apollo. One advantage of the Sandton hotel was that they have a lovely restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was delicious and the service was good, but a beer cost R25. The Apollo does not have this facility, but one is able to order from a variety of takeaways at good convenience and speed.
Breakfast at the Sandton Hotel was an extra - and at R175 was no better than the simple breakfast at the Apollo, where I am able to request a variety of egg (fried, omelette) to accompany the variety of side dishes is included in the price. A zero coke at the Sandton hotel cost R30 - which I feel is excessive. I can buy four litres of coke for that! Bar prices at the Apollo are reasonable and realistic.
The two hotels cannot be compared. The Apollo is superbly clean, has fabulous customer-centric staff who really care for their guests. In terms of the conference/training facilities, lovely snacks, bottled water and sweet treats are the order of the day. The Apollo provides a tripple experience at a third of the price. It is a no brainer! Highly recommended for business travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher levels - but all rooms are highly acceptable with lovely bed linen and spac...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank dionysus2015
Jhur2014, Owner at Apollo Conferencing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2015

I cannot ask for more than a guest returning to stay with us and conference here
Also thanks to my staff(like family)

Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

We arrived in SA on an early flight and we needed to check in early, everybody we talked to about this request was willing to help and actually did help..
Our room was great and my highlight was the bathtub, after an 18hrs flight it was just perfect!
The security is ok, maybe an in house or a check in list needs to be at the gate to tighten security, but it was safe.
Should I fly into JHB next time, I will definitely be staying here.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thobie N

I am truly pleased that the staff at Apollo deliver the service and display the "friendly" vibe that we have created for all to experience and enjoy
Thanks also to our guests for taking the trouble to review our performance

Reviewed 29 April 2015

It was the first time for me to stay at the Apollo Hotel and it was for work purposes since we hosted our training there. I phoned up the day before to check on a few things and was impressed by the service provided over the telephone by Rebecca (Xolani at Reception and the other lady with short blond hair were also most helpful). For me what stands out most about this hotel is the customer service and care. Its not just about them being friendly and helpful, it is also about being professional regarding the service they offer. If you want to host a conference or event here, I highly recommend it; Mark and his staff are on top of their game. The hotel is not necessarily a holiday spot, more business or if you want a location just off the city for shopping etc. I also think it is very good value for money. A lot of effort has also been made with the décor. I stayed on the 4th floor and it was quite roomy and quiet; with a comfortable bathroom. I was unfortunately not that impressed by breakfast, but appreciated that there was always fresh fruit and a wide variety of dishes to choose from which should suit everyone's pallet. Our lunches were good; excellent lasagne! There is also a bar downstairs where you can get the house red house which at R30 for a big glass is very reasonable I thought. You can eat buffet style at the restaurant in the evenings, but Reception also offers a service connecting you with restaurants that deliver take-aways - they have the menus and delivery is to your room or at Reception if you so request. In addition, there is a veranda at the restaurant area as well as a pool; but outside "green" spaces are limited.The place is very clean and comfortable and I would not mind staying there again for business purposes. One negative point: a pity about the young people who booked in on the Friday evening on our floor and were very noisy until after midnight. Finally, the hotel also arranges shuttles and provide a free transfer service from the Gauteng train station; just book ahead. Oh yes!! A big plus: the hotel is non-smoking!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Jhur2014, Owner at Apollo Conferencing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2015

I am
I am very pleased that you had a great experience at our hotel
Apologies for the noise level from the other guests
Look forward to seeing you again at Apollo
Best

Reviewed 2 April 2015

My stay was great, would have just preferred one more meat at breakfast, otherwise great place to stay!!!! Professional friendly attending staff. The rooms are very neat and tidy - love the bath!!!!, bedding is clean and the overall impression is one of cleanliness and focus on customer care.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Hanlie H
Jhur2014, Owner at Apollo Conferencing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2015

Please next time ask us to rectify whatever is not perfect and we will gladly do our best to get it done
Thanks

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2015

Thank you so much for the hospitality, the room was everything i was expecting and more. I really enjoyed my stay, I am definitely coming again when i come for 2016 ISM conference with pastor Chris Oyakhilome.

Mookgo Mthombeni, South Africa

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jhur2014, Owner at Apollo Conferencing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2015

Thanks for your positive feedback
I believe that since we have changed our management team we are improving all the time
Look forward to seeing you at the hotel again
Best regards
Jeffrey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Randburg
1,3 km away
4,2 km away
The Fairway Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
4,1 km away
Silver Oak Luxury Accommodation

Been to Apollo Conferencing Hotel? Share your experiences!