“Amazing experience!!”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 24 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I was lucky to have a wonderful day, clear water and got to see many sharks. The team was very professional and kind. I really wanted to see big great whites and these were smaller ones, but you never know if you'll even see any. And Im lucky I even got the chance to see a few. And the crew was awesome, they had a bunch of snacks for us and the service really good. It was cold (July) but the suits did their job and I guess I was so excited i didn't even feel it

1  Thank Dominique B
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I went on a shark dive trip on July 5, 2017. The crew was professional, personable, and knowledgeable. I got to go in the cage a few times. And eventually got some great views/shots of a Great White. It was an unforgettable experience that I hope to do again some day. They really want everyone to see a shark and did a great job of making that happen. Thank you!!!

2  Thank Christa R

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

We took a shark cage diving trip in early July--which is supposed to be a good time to go, but we tried to set expectations low

We ended up being fortunate to have ample shark sightings throughout the entire trip! We went out with a small group and everyone had plenty of time in the cage. A few of us (including me) got seasick, so those with stronger stomachs took the opportunity for return trips in the cage. Even when you're not in the cage, you get the chance to take photos from above and see the sharks as they approach, so you are never bored.

The whole trip was professional but relaxed. We felt very safe and welcome.

After the diving we took a circle around Seal Island and another boat radioed to let our captain know there was a whale! A Southern Right Whale. We were able to see him twice when he surfaced to check us out.

I would happily do this trip again. Wonderful experience.

1  Thank fuleco7

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feed back.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

I was with a group and we had booked pretty last minute ( the day before!) - we booked after we heard that there were some shark activity the previous day. We were sent an email of what to prepare for, including taking sea sickness medication as needed.
On the day of the adventure, we arrived in Simon's town around noon, and was met by a beautiful day. The total excursion took about 4 hours, and we were met by a very professional crew who were knowledgeable about the shark's habitat.
We were told that there were shark sightings in the morning, but after waiting for about 3 hours on the boat, no sharks came. Some of us had already changed into the wetsuit, and the crew let us jump in the cage just to see what it's like even thought there were no sharks.
At the end of the day, we were presented with vouchers to come back again within the year (that were transferable, so I plan on selling it online). Unfortunately, our time in Cape Town didn't allot another day for us to spend another day, but it was a nice gesture even though it wasn't the crew's fault that no sharks showed up.

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feed back.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We had booked African Shark Eco-Charters for a shark breaching tour in May while visiting Cape Town and South Africa. Up until the day before our tour was scheduled, we heard from many people that there were no sharks in the area as the weather had been too warm. We had our tour guide contact African Shark Eco-Charters for days before our scheduled tour to ask them about the possibility of cancelling as there was no activity. So, the day before, they told our tour guide there had been "lots of activity". As we had extended our time in Cape Town by a day solely for this excursion, we decided to go ahead with it, hearing there was "lots of activity". I felt they were somewhat dishonest with us on this.... I feel like they knew we wanted to cancel and didn't want to lose our payment. On the day of the tour, we saw 0 sharks. We also overheard a crew member saying they had seen no activity lately, except for 1 shark for 5 seconds the day before. This is why I give them 3 stars. I feel like they exaggerated with the "lots of activity" comment just to get us to not cancel. Had they said we saw one shark for 5 seconds, we certainly would have changed plans. While you can't blame the sharks nor predict their behavior, based on one short shark sighting, we would have asked for our money back and done something else. While on the boat for hours, many people got seasick so I spent most of the time watching people vomit off the side of the boat. Not fun. So, overall I did not have a good experience. My advice to anyone booking with this company is to listen to others if they say there is no activity due to whatever circumstances. I believe the company will try to get your money so they might exaggerate the sightings to do so. Again, you can't predict the sharks, but you can see a trend when there have been no sightings and I should have listened to the chatter we heard. Part of it is our fault for not listening, but I still am unhappy with the company for exaggerating their statement on activity.

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you for your review. I do however take exception to your review and to the fact that you say we "exaggerated the activity". In fact we were totally honest and upfront with your agent. I have the emails to prove that this.

Email to agent on 16 May states as follows:
We have experienced an uncharacteristically slow season this year, with little to no shark activity. We have put this down to the weather, and the fact that we have not had a winter to speak of; usually by this time we are bundled up in our winter woollies, but only recently has the weather started to change, ushering in winter with its colder air and sea temperatures, which encourage the Great Whites to go in search of blubber to keep warm, which they find at Seal Island in the form of the Cape Fur Seal. So we do believe they will be returning soon, exactly when we cannot say, could be tomorrow, the next day or next week, but with the change of the temperature we are encouraged and await their immanent return. In the meantime, we are going to sea every two to three days, weather permitting, and in the event of no shark activity, will offer the option to either join us or reschedule your booking, but we are not making any calls more than a day or two in advance  So will be able to either confirm the trip or offer options around the 23rd or 24th May 2017, we are all hoping the sharks will be back in full force by then though 

Further to this we then stated to your agent on the 24thof May states:
We are pleased to confirm that we will be going out tomorrow. We do ask that you remember that the activity has been slow; there has been shark activity this whole week, though only one day saw enough action to dive the boat. Please remember we are dealing with wild animals and it is impossible to predict what will happen but we do ask that you remember to come hoping as opposed to expecting.

There may be a little rain and a cold breeze tomorrow, so please be prepared.

We are a totally honest and ethical company and have maintained a certificate of excellence since 2013, with a brilliant name in the industry.
Its a shame then that you could not come to us directly if you had a problem and we would have shown you the emails first hand.

I can also show you a trip report of the month of May to prove that the week leading up to your trip we had sharks.