“Service that goes above and beyond”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 22 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

We are so pleased with this company. Their service is amazing and they will do anything to make sure you get into a cage to full full the dream of seeing a great white!! Thank you so much for making the dream come true!

1  Thank Trhoden
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for your kind response. We always appreciate feed back especially about our service.

There are newer reviews for African Shark Eco-Charters

Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

Our planned shark diving adventure was cancelled four days ahead as the company stated there were not enough sharks in the bay.
As an alternative, they offered us to go with a company they recommend to do shark diving in Gansbaai. They had even already checked space and shark availability and would rebook us if we had wanted to.
We felt they acted very honestly and customer friendly towards us and that sure speaks books about a business.
We finally decided not to go to Gansbaai as we explicitely chose African Eco Charters because of the scuba and the smaller groups.
So too bad - no sharks for us, maybe another time.
Five star rating for the customer service of African Eco Charters.

2  Thank isabella_deruiter

Thank you for your kind response and I hope you had a good shark trip.

Reviewed 9 September 2016

We did the AM AirJaws breaching and cage dive trip. We did see a few sharks underwater, no breaching, the seals on the island were pretty cool as well as the dolphins. My rating is not at all based on the sharks, as that is nature and there is zero control over them. The captain and crew do try their best to find, and attract, the sharks and I give them lots of credit there. I did have a hard time deciding between Average and Very Good for my rating, and went with Very Good because the Capt. and Crew did seem to try their best to make it a good trip. They were very nice, helpful when asked questions, and seemed to enjoy their job. We were picked up at our hotel in Cape Town promptly by a very friendly driver, made a few stops and took a full van to the dock. We waited in the van a while until the boat was brought around and prepped for boarding. After a very quick briefing, we were under way for the short ride out to Seal Island to look for the sharks, toss a decoy and do some chumming.

When it was decided that it is time to get in the water, Things were very rushed, and I understand that if sharks are seen it is time to move, but some passengers were not sure what to do. Wetsuits were brought out from down below for each person going in the water. This is one thing that made me wonder about the rating -the suits were wet and smelled bad. They do not seem to be regularly washed and allowed to dry out (as much as possible) between dives. I guess they get a quick hang up on the deck after the dive and go back down below until the next group gets on. They do a good job of guessing each passenger's size. The main issue is that most people on board appeared to have never been on a dive boat and were unsure of where to put their things, how to easily get into a wet suit, not to lock themselves in the head to be seasick, or basic boat etiquette. That is not the fault of Eco-Charters, but a more detailed briefing to help those who did not know what to do or expect on a boat would have made it a bit easier for everyone. We were the only 2 divers on our charter, I am not sure if that is normal, but not everyone was very comfortable with the process. The website and paperwork emailed before the trip is very detailed, just take that a step further to make sure all passengers know what to expect, and what to do. Even something in writing to go out with your reservation papers would be a good idea.

The regulators were a bit hit or miss, I used two different ones and each breathed very differently. One was good, but the other was a hard draw for breath. Using the regs seemed confusing to some people - I never heard any instructions being given to just relax and try to breathe normally with the reg in your mouth; and watched a couple of people just hold their breath, bob up to get a mouth full of air and go back under. I think it would be worth the 2 minutes on the way out to make people comfortable who have never been on SCUBA to know the quick basics. That being said, I chose this charter because you are on air, and not using a snorkel. I think being on snorkel for this trip would be horrible, and you would not get the same viewing experience. Eco-Charters is the only shop I could find who used air. Be prepared for a less than easy or graceful entry into the cage. It is bouncing with the water, and there is no ladder for getting in or out. Once you are in, there is a hand rail to hold and a rail on the bottom to hook your toes and hold yourself in place. Booties, hoods, mask and a weight belt are supplied. Once in and settled, it was fun to watch for the sharks. They are really beautiful.

We were in the cage about 25 minutes or so. Not everyone on board went in the cage and several people only stayed in a few minutes. There was no asking if you wanted a 2nd turn as I have read in some reviews, and I would say less than an hour total was spent with people in the water. I guess because the sharks were not very active that day. The boat had soda and sandwiches on board, which was a nice touch considering the short trip that it is.

All in all the trip was fun, and something that I always wanted to do in SA.

3  Thank wlk902
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Thank you for your review. So glad you had a good trip.
Thank you for bringing up the bit about not being told how to use the regulators. All crew are instructed to instruct our guests on usage, and we will certainly look into this.
Have a super day!

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

Right from my first Enquiry through to disembarking today I can honestly say that the service provided from African Shark Eco Charters has been fantastic. The boat was well equipped & there wasn't a large number of people on the boat. The transfer was on time, clean (even had little pillows as it was an early morning pick up!). We headed out early & there was a massive amount of fog which cleared fully around 9am (we left at 6am). No breaching sightings :( we toured around the island once but because of the fog we didn't see much. We then anchored up & the crew got to work. Sitting on the top deck we did miss some of what was being said to the others in the cabin downstairs but we got the gist of things. After 1 hour the boat next to us had a very small shark surface then go away. 2 hours from anchoring we had a 'drive by' small shark cruised in below the surface then just as quickly cruised away - most didn't see it. The whole 'come hoping not expecting' really is what you have to go with, but it is super disappointing not to have any serious sightings or option to get into the cage - the joys of Mother Nature & wild animals. The staff were really great about it though & did offer a fee reduction.
We did see thousands of seals and birds.
It's an easy drive, if we did it again we'd absolutely drive ourselves & spend the afternoon taking the drive down to the cape & lunching in Simons Town. Ample parking & a great seaside vibe :)
Definitely bring a beanie, gloves, warm jacket & windsheeter jacket. It was cold first up.
Even though there were no sightings, if booking again I'd 100% book with these guys :) a nice day in the water

2  Thank netsriks
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2016

Thank you for your lovely review. Its really much appreciated.

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

We went out on the boat today . We got out early to arrive as a shark had just breeches and caught a seal . The crew was completely engaged with the 12 customers on the boat . They thought of all the details including snacks , water , blankets , towels and knowledge . The captain runs a tight ship to keep everyone safe and engaged . The team reported it was a light day on shark sightings but we interacted with 4 of them . We also saw dolphins and whales . It is very cold on the boat so come prepared with layers of clothing . I also highly recommend being ready for sea sickness if you have any past history . Overall a once in a lifetime experience by our group .

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it.