“A little bit disappointing! ”

Bertha's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 39 Restaurants in Simon's Town
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had come here 10 years ago on the way to Cape Point, so decided to stop off there this time too!

Felt a bit like we were an afterthought based on where our table was positioned. The waiter was dealing with lots of other tables in a different area to ours, so it took time to get our food and drink ordered, and it took a very long time to get our bill!

I really liked my Malay curry... the batter on the calamari was odd though! So my son was slightly disappointed with some of his main course!

Maybe allocate your staff to designated areas rather than spread them across the far corners of your establishment, then your service may improve!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

On our way back from the Cape we stopped in Bertha's. It was bustling and you can see why. Nestled near the water and good food are the reason. Wait staff was great and the food too

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had prawns, angelfish and a Malay curry with a nice sauvignon blanc, outside on the quayside. Our water, Jody, was attentive and despite handling multiple tables was quick and responsive to our queries and he never kept us waiting.

The food was brought nice and timeously and we all enjoyed the dish we had ordered. The 1kg of prawns were fresh and tasty as was the Angel fish. Chips were brought with the fish and with the prawns a good green salad was a happy addition.

The Malay curry was spicy but not chilli hot. The lamb was tender and properly cooked while the rice was fluffy and done to perfection.

The wine was a Brampton Sauvignon Blanc, nicely chilled and a good companion to the meal.

All in all it was a good and satisfying meal. Our English friends were thrilled with the setting and we had a pleasant musical interlude as a fellow played Spanish guitar that did not intrude.

We all agreed that we would recommend Bertha's to our friends.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We popped in here for lunch because my guide book recommended it ... I wish I'd looked at Trip Advisor first.

We have struggled to find light lunches and my husband went for the hake and chips and I went for the prawn and avo salad. His hake was very good, but the chips less so. My salad comprised a large pile of what I call armour plated lettuce (the stuff that's tough but keeps well), a mound of spiralised carrot and cucumber, some less than ripe tomato, plus five reasonable prawns, split and cooked then allowed to go cold. It could have been so much better.

The waiter was what can best be described as surly. Never a smile, no welcome at all. He would have got a tip if he hadn't then been awkward when I chose to pay in cash, but that was the last straw.

It looks like there are much better places to go in Simon's Town.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We popped in for breakfast which was very tasty. As the weather wasn't nice, we could still sit outside in the covered area. Lovely views to watch the activities in and around the harbour. Service was quick and efficient.