“Learning Experience”

Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Smackover
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Recently I took a motorcycle trip on scenic highway 7 through El Dorado Arkansas on my way to Hot Springs Arkansas. On this route I stumbled across The Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover, Arkansas. I never knew it existed and I'm glad I stopped... As you pull into the facility your eyes are drawn to a large wooden derrick and several large storage tanks. The building is very impressive looking as well. As you enter the massive entry hall you are greeted by not just the friendly staff, but two very large wall drawings that depict life during Smackovers oil boom. The attendee begins by welcoming you to their beautiful museum and informs me that the museum is free to tour but complimentary donations are appreciated. She then guided me to the right where all the exhibits are and tells me it is self guided. I check out all the cool exhibits that explain how oil was found, how it is produced and the products that are made from it, and then find myself in a small town inside the museum (pretty cool). The town buildings depicted how the buildings looked in the boom era. They had a hotel, resturant, printing shop and even a jail-house. At the end of the town you are guided to an elevator that not only takes you upstairs but its an exhibit in itself... Once you are done with the tour you are encouraged to stroll the shady grounds outside to see other exhibits (wooden derrick, storage tanks, etc). It is a very relaxing walk along the paved trail so its handi-cap accessible as well. They really did a great job putting this museum together, but thats all I'm gonna tell you about so I encourage you to go check out this museum. It is a great learning experience if you have family members or friends that don't know how oil is found, captured and produced into the many products that we use each and every day... By the way, I found myself droping a $20 in the donation jar on my way out...

1  Thank Gerald L

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Free attraction.hands on activities for kiddos. New Dino display is awesome. Kids had fun. Lady at the desk was super helpful

1  Thank marccb2001
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This seems to be a well kept secret. Have visited several times. The exhibits are interesting-including an oil town. This museum has been upgraded sense it first opened.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

I'll admit, I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised! This is really a hidden jewel in Union County. It's really interesting and a good place to take the kids!

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We just happened by this place on a road trip and decided to pull in. What a gem!!! It is free and my boys (6 and 8) loved it, as did my husband and I. There are lots of hands on activities and it is also very educational in a fun way. Even if you have to drive out of your way to get there, this place is worth it. This wasn;t even a planned stop and turned out to be one of the highlights of our road trip.