Reviews (17 992)
9 070
4 848
2 033
1 069
All reviews american grill avenue bar gabi restaurant golf cart la gondola tropical lobby vip lounge gabi pool caribe tropical level section time share steak and lobster dominican restaurant kids club breakfast and lunch dominican republic dinner reservations
162 - 167 of 17 991 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This was the best vacation I’ve ever had the Melia is beautiful, the grounds are well kept the staff was absolutely awesome especially Roberto Santos his customer service is above expectations he made things so easy and always had answers and solutions. Roberto is an asset to the Melia tropical we had a blast with him friendly but professional. The food was amazing. My photo shoot was incredible jerry was very professional and knowledgeable. I would recommend the Melia. If you want your Monies worth and a unforgettable vacation go to the Melia tropical Punta Cana and please look for Roberto Santos,,, “The Davidson’s”

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical All Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Davidson Family,

What and amazing review! You just made my day! Thanks for your review and for your high consideration of our hotel. It is a pleasure to be considered as the best vacation you’ve ever had.

We are delighted to know you had an amazing vacation time at Meliá Caribe Tropical. Moreover, it is an honor that our team went the extra mile to offer you an outstanding service and, for that matter, we will gladly pass on your compliments to Roberto Santos, who will be thrilled to know his efforts were appreciated.

Whenever you feel the need to relax and be pampered in a beautiful Caribbean atmosphere, just come visit us. We will be awaiting your return.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

This was my first time staying in Punta Cana and I was looking forward to this specific resort especially after seeing photos and so many positive reviews. However, by the end of my weeks’ vacation here I was extremely blessed to be going home.

The first thing that bothered me from the minute we arrived at the resort to the minute we left was the unfriendliness of almost the entire staff. I can count on my fingers the number of staff members that treated me kindly, respectfully, and with a smile. Also, my native language is English but I do know some Spanish as well, however, a lot of times there was a vast difference in the way the staff would treat people who were fluent in Spanish versus people who were not fluent in it. They treated people who were fluent in Spanish outrageously kind and energetic whereas if you weren’t fluent in Spanish they seemed irritated and would question us as to why we didn’t speak it.

I am a 20-year-old female and I went on this vacation with my mother. We upgraded to “The Level” and the check-in process when we got to the resort was very disorganized and stressful because the staff was not clear on what was happening. They sat us in the Level lobby with five other couples and the staff had no idea what order we all came in so some of us would be sitting there for a good 15 minutes with no service even though we got there before others that were being helped.

My mother and I are not picky eaters, but we also spoke to some of the other residents on the resort who did not care for most of the food that any of the restaurants had to offer. We even watched multiple people at different times in different restaurants sit down, look at the menus, and then get up and leave. The only food we enjoyed was Gabi for dinner (we ended up going there twice because every other restaurant was poor) and the Steak Restaurant inside the Cuatro exclusively for The Level residents. Do not even bother ordering room service because it is awful, especially for breakfast. Along with the poor food at the restaurants, the service was even worse. At almost every single restaurant they take forever to come to your table and service you. The only one we had a positive experience with was at the Steak Restaurant inside the Cuatro. Our server there was extremely nice too and the views of the Bavaro Beach were beautiful.

The resort itself was absolutely stunning. I loved seeing so much greenery and the peacocks. However, the Bavaro Beach in person was not like the pictures at all. There was always seaweed everywhere and it always seemed like they were constantly cleaning it up but it always stayed the same. If you want to see the turquoise waters, you are going to need to take a boat out there or go parasailing to see it because it is absolutely not right on the shore. The resort encountered a lot of power outages, but after talking to many people it was power outages that the entire island experienced. Lastly, in our unit on the resort, we had no water in our apartment for a few hours one day which was very inconvenient for us.

If you don’t like people hounding you to buy stuff then stay clear of the vendors on the beaches and even on the resort Thursdays and Mondays nights. The vendors on the beach walk up and down, close to the shore and right up to you while you are laying out. They are sometimes rude too if you don’t even bother to look at what they are selling. We learned from our first day out on the beach that they don’t take no for an answer so that’s why we don’t bother to look. A lot of times the vendors will subtly ask you to get them water or food from the resort which is extremely annoying. You absolutely cannot do that because they do not work for the resort and the cops are always watching and if you get caught you will be in serious trouble.

Overall, my mother and I did not have a positive experience at this resort or even in Punta Cana for my first time. I will most likely never come back to this resort. My recommendation for people looking at resorts in the Dominican Republic: ask around! Ask friends, family, and even friends of friends if they have ever gone to the Dominican Republic and which resort they stayed at because you CANNOT trust every review online. Even 5 Star resorts have many faults so please do a lot of research.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank sierrabarker
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical All Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear Sierra,

After a warm greeting from the Caribbean, we would like to thenk you for having selected our hotel to enjoy your and your mother holidays, as well as for the time take to air your valuable impressions.

Our passion is to provide unforgettable experience by going beyond our guests’ expectations; therefore, we lament to read that we were not able to accomplish it.

Our team is more than proud to receive many compliments about their attentiveness and sympathy at the moment of providing the best to our visitors; therefore, it surprises us to learn that did not receive this kind of experience during your stay.

We lament to learn that your dissatisfaction with our gastronomy; nevertheless, it pleases us to learn that our Gaby and Cuatro Restaurants provide you the memorable experience you and your mother desire. After having shared your observations with our Food and Beverage Management, we would like to extend you our sincerest apologies, since this is not in any ways the culinary experience we are committed.

Our hotel we are equipped with a back up generator that automatically goes on whenever the public power goes down. As you may have noticed the switch over between an outage and the hotel’s generator is done within forty-five seconds; nevertheless, we will share your comments with our departments involved in order to ensure the quality of our services.

Again, receive our gratitude for your preference and observations, I sincerely hope they do not deprive us to honor of having you back in this, your home away from home.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Overall, big resort. Service in a few of the restaurants are andolutley terrible!!! For example, in Caribe Restaurant, one of the so called 11- which I will come back to- we waited for 1.5 hours to ne served two main dishes. Three tables who ordered the same thing got their food and dessert first and left before our food even came!! The waiter dropped some mussels from on the floor. Didnot clean it up. And later slipped on it, hitting my son on the head hard. Asking whether we would ever get our food, the manager came and gave us our meals. And our evening was totally ruined.

The so called 11+ restaurants... a large part of the resort is under construction. So closed. Two of them you have to pay an additional $45-50 pp!! One time room service only. Do they tell you all this beforehand?? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Rooms are dirty and full of mosquitoes and ants. Told the management but still the same during our stay.

Tours and excursions are a rip off too. Utter chaos and disorder. Had to wait 50 minutes for 4 people that did not even show up at 7:15am!! Then with no explanation, our van was taken to a bus location to figure out for another hour who was to take which bus to where. Spanish speaking versus English speakers divided. English mini van had no guide. Driver spoke two words in English.

Do not buy excursions with Tours LIne to go to Santo Domingo.

The beach is the worst disappointment. Seaweed all over the shore. So not even want to go in the sea, the ocean lover that I am!!!!

Have to wait for clean beach towels too.

In short, you're better off spending your money elsewhere for a bit of peace.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank jianpak

Dear Jian,

We would like to thank you for having selected our hotel to enjoy your holidays, as well as for having taken a moment from your vacations to air your impressions.

We are committed to provide unforgettable experiences; therefore, we lament to learn that this has not being your experience during your stay.

Our team is normally prixe by their attentiveness and quick solutions to our guests need; we regret to learn that your impressions was very different in one of our restaurants. Please, receive our sincerest apologies, you can rest assure that your comments will give place to actions to avoid this in the future.

Please receive our sincerest apologies for the improvements, our goal is to offer a hotel at the forefront of the times, where our guests feel the comfort of an updated service.

It surprises us to learn about your situation with the towels since, we keep a stock that allow us to provide towels to all our guests during the day; nevertheless, we understand there is always roon for improvements. We will investigate and take the proper actions in case of need.

We lament your dissatisfaction with the tour, we will share your comments with the external company in order to ensure the quality of their services.

Again, we appreciate your observations, we will be delighted to listen them personally through our Guest Service Department to subsequently recover your fidelity in our Paradise while on site.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Just spent an amazing week at Melia. We did not upgrade to The Level and were still treated like royalty by the entire staff. Our only complaints are seaweeds (like everyone else), the steady flow of outside vendors on the beach constantly disrupting our relaxation, and the time wasted at the Melia Club sales pitch (please do not fall for this, we almost did and found so many horrible reviews after we declined). But the rest of our stay was amazing. Did not have a bad meal at any of the restaurants, the room (section 38) was perfect, the walking is not as punishing as other reviewers have made it sound, and the little trains and golf carts helped when needed (even without the Level wristband). But what made this stay really amazing was the service provided by Melia's staff, always willing to help and always with a corteous and friendly smile. I wished I remember some of their names but there would be too many to list. We are definitely coming back next year.

Stayed: June 2018

Dear Alisha,

I would like to thank you for your amazing review and for sharing with us your wonderful experience at Meliá Caribe Tropical.

We strive to offer our guests a memorable vacation time and your words allow us to realize we achieved our purpose during your stay. Thanks a lot for your kind words and for your appreciation of our hotel, its facilities, services, restaurants, accomodations and staff. By the way, we agree completely with you, our team is our greatest asset and, for that matter, I will definitely share your comments with our staff. They will be thrilled to know their efforts were appreciated.

On the other hand, I would like to apologize if you didn’t appreciate the approach of our timesharing sales team. We will pass on your comments to them, in order to improve their professionalism and approach to our beloved guests.

I am sorry, as well, for the seaweed on the beach. Rest assured, we clean our beach on a daily basis. However, this is a natural phenomenon that is affecting the coasts of the Dominican Republic and other islands of the Caribbean.

On behalf of our team...thanks! We will be awaiting your return next year.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This trip was not what I expected. Our room was directly across from a major rebuild from 7:30 am to 8pm or later - they used big lights to work in the evening. There were jack hammers and big diggers and bang bang bang. ZERO PEACE AND QUIET. I am not a pool person but had no choice but to swim in the pool, as the ocean was a darkish murky green with lots of seaweed and bits and bites. The Sand was lovely, but I could NOT get relaxed by that ocean. So BIG- HUGE expensive disappointment. They did finally move us to a different room and attempted to make it better for us. But the room smelled damp and when I took the pillows off the bed there was a 2 inch bug on the bed. ( I don/t know what kind of bug but I was creeped out the rest of the stay) On the positive side the food was very good! lots of variety and the MANGO was the best I have ever had. This resort is HUGE, if you want peace and quiet then this isn/t the place for you. If you want loud music boom boom boom and humanity consuming consuming consuming then you may like it. I need a vacation from my vacation. And that/s my review.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank BellaMarvella

Dear Guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for your review and for the valuable time you dedicated to share your review with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

Please, accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered with the construction site. We try to accommodate our guests in the most comfortable way, in order to prevent disturbances from the construction. I deeply regret to know we were not susccesful with you.

I am sorry to hear your second room was not up to the standards you expected. I apologize for it and would like to assure you we will share your remarks with the departments involved in order to improve the maintenance and care of our accomodations.

As per the seaweed on the beach, allow me to confirm you we clean our beach on a daily basis, however we cannot remove, by the laws of the Dominican Republic, the algaes on the water. This is a natural, phenomenon that is affecting, in this period, the coasts of the Dominican Republic and other islands of the Caribbean.

I regret to know we were not able to offer you the relaxing experience you deserved. However, we really hope you give us another chance to welcome you and offer you an outstanding vacation time.