“Hidden Gem”

Gate Of India
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Gillitts
Reviewed 24 June 2020

Wow wow wow!!
Just before the national lockdown I decided to treat myself to a curry from gate of India, who I had heard wonderful reviews on.
Once I arrived at the restaurant the staff were very helpful and actually looked happy to be at work. They took My order which was butter chicken curry with extra garlic Nan.

While I sat in the restaurant waiting for my food I was admiring thier decor and how beautiful the restaurant was.

The manager pall then gave me my food and said enjoy, he was such a polite guy might I add.

Once I got home I open my butter chicken and it was amazing!!!
The smell was absolutely incredible and it tasted the same!!
I finished it so fast and I will definitely be going back once this lockdowm is over!

Thank you so much gate of India! You guys rock.
10/10 would recommend.

Date of visit: March 2020

Reviewed 24 June 2020

I decided to treat myself and my family to a hearty curry night ! I ordered the brand new butter chicken pasta which was honestly something to die for much like everything else my family ordered . I think of myself as quite a picky person and they accomidated every request I through at them !! Absolutely fantastic !! 5 out of 5
I highly recommend

Date of visit: June 2020
Reviewed 20 February 2020

Went after looking at alleged reviews on TA
I have visited Indian restaurant across the world including in South Africa
The whole experience was one of worst I have encountered
From the apathy of the staff when we arrived to a problem with payment
First they had no poppadoms as they buy them in not made in house : that is a first can't make poppadoms
We asked for a glass of wine after a long debate we found that the glass of wine is from a box and more recognised brand is only sold by the bottle
We ordered a soft drink which they brought in a can and a straw for adults to drink : really we had to ask for a glass
We ordered a sheek kabeb which was barely adequate and a pakrook platter which were disgraceful and only ate a few
We asked for mint yogurt sauce a basic in Indian cuisine: they had none and I assume they could not make: I'm no chef but even I can make it
We even had to ask for napkins which were not on the table
My partner ordered a lamb rogon gosh which smelt off and she only managed a mouthful. When we informed the waiteress who just laughed and when we pushed she said she would talk to the chef's. We received no feed back
A guy came to the table and enquired how was our meal we commented on the poor meal he just walked away.
At the end of meal the waiteress even asked if we wanted to take the poor meal home !
We then had a problem in the payment of the bill with cash
In summary poor food poor service poor value and overall a poor restaurant Never to return

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank ian g
Reviewed 19 February 2020

Had our curries as a takeaway. There was load shedding at the time. Food was delicious and portions big.cant judge service because its difficult in the dark. Will go back again.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 8 January 2020

We went to the New Gate of Jndia restaurant tonight after hearing good reviews from other friends. The food was fresh and the portions were a good size. The samosas as starters were excellent followed by fantastic curries. Would recommended this place to anyone who likes something hot.

Date of visit: January 2020