“Good place for lunch”
Review of The Devils Dyke

The Devils Dyke
Reserve with OpenTable
The Devils Dyke is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Poynings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Devil's Dyke in Brighton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I bring my elderly parents here for lunch on a regular basis, for a basic pub lunch and to enjoy the fabulous views over the South Downs. Fish and chips excellent value for money, also the Vegetarian tartlet. Good size portions, if anything too many chips and good quality. Very friendly and helpful staff and prompt service.

Devils D, Manager at The Devils Dyke, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Alison B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad you had a great time with us. The tartlet is very good and one of my favourites.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Food is nothing to write home about, just very average pub food. The best thing about this restaurant is the location and views.

Be warned - it's a 'pay and display' car park. When I queried this with the restaurant, they said the car park is owned by the National Trust and that's why you have to pay to park.

Not impressed.

Dear kiplingcollector,

Thanks you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your visit was lest than perfect.

The car park is owned by nationl trust charity. Its £3 to park but it states on the ticket if you spend over £10 in the pub we will reimburse your car park money.

We do hope you will try us again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A big old barn of a pub in a wonderful location - it's the only pub near Brighton that's actually at the top of the Downs. Food is expensive and so-so quality. As other reviews say, the biggest problem here is that they struggle to cope when the sun shines, with long queues at the bar and long waits for food. To be fair it's something that a lot of places in Brighton struggle with, but here you get the impression they're under little pressure to sort problems out as the pub's location will always pack it out. I will no doubt be back and moaning about the same old stuff!

Dear Ed D,

Thank you for your review.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and hopefully we get it right and won't give you anything to moan about ☺

All The Team @ The Devils Dyke

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is a great family place to visit, you can even bring the dog!

Try and get a table by the windows so you can enjoy the great views, the food here is good pub food with loads of choices for the family. I had a roast chicken in white wine sauce was lovely and tender and moist, had the strawberry milkshake cheesecake which was lush but very sweet! Definitely will be back.

If going on a nice summers day it's worth booking because it can get busy!

1  Thank Olystreet

Dear Olystreet,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and we hope to welcome you back soon. We have a new menu coming out next month and will have a delicious carrot cake cheesecake for you to try ☺

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I cant help but feel like this restaurant doesn't put in the effort due to its fantastic location. That and the fact that it is the only pub in the centre of the action. Firstly it is always extremely understaffed notably during peak times such as as weekends and for my last visit being Fathers Day. The food is always bog standard and I have long given up eating here. We now only use the pub as a watering hole when we have been hiking. Our last visit on fathers day was to bring my in-laws to show them the views for their first visit and honestly I felt embarrassed taking them into the pub. We ordered soft drinks, a muffin and some coffees and the coffee was simply one of the most dire coffees I've ever had. It was weak and bland. We were advised that an extra shot was extra but even then it tasted worsen nescafe original. I ordered a flat white and to be honest I've no idea what I was given but it was like a weak latte. We did advise the staff but what can they do if they have been told to serve it in a certain way. We didn't finish our drinks and just left, we wanted to order food but couldn't be bothered after the dismal drinks

Dear brightonbelle2015,

Thank you for your feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss this further and come to a resolution. devilsdykehotelbrighton@vintageinn.co.uk