See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

I took a weekend getaway trip to go to the beach. I read that the north east coast in Korea was a gem and I was not disappointed. It was a little busy Sunday night in and around the hotel. There is plenty to see and to do here. The hotel was very nice and not that expensive considering the location on the beach. I left my door open all night to hear the waves. The room was cozy and was clean. The beach was beautiful and got a few shells in the morning.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank arthanial
Reviewed 18 June 2016

we visited on May 2016 with my husband and my 13month old sun.
the staff were very nice and hotel room was good size for 3. we stayed Korea traditional room. Bedding was really comfortabl and clean.
parking is free.which is good.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank EunHyeC20
Reviewed 19 January 2016

We stayed at this hotel for one night while visiting Gangwondo east coast in March 2015. It is directly facing a nice beach and the place is great to rest and enjoy the sea. As a family of 4 we opted for a Korean style "ondeol" room and it was clean and nicely set up. The sea view from the room was great. Herrenhaus is more expensive that the classic Korean motels you will find everywhere in Korea, but it also delivers more with nice clean room, interesting decoration, and excellent location.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank1207111
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

This is hands-down one of Gangneung's best hotels. It is well kept up, features a great restaurant and cafe, and is located close to other great restaurants and stores. In particular, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the ferry terminal, a Starbucks Coffee, and very good Chimaek restaurant called Korean Barbecue.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Henry D
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Not sure what the prices would be during the high summer season, but we paid 80,000 won (about $80) for a room on the 6th floor with a gorgeous view of the ocean. (FYI that was the walk-in rate - we didn't book in advance.)
You can clearly hear the sound of the waves from the room, which is wonderful! In fact, the ocean is the only thing we could see when we looked out the floor-to-ceiling windows. The room was fairly spacious and modern, with tasteful wood floors and a flat-screen TV.
Good sound-proofing, too - my in-laws were in the room next door with the TV on and we couldn't hear anything but the waves.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple