“Very goo for the prices”
Review of El Hornito

El Hornito
Ranked #8 of 62 Restaurants in Cafayate
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours
Description: We kept coming back to El Hornito whist in Cafayate! We love our food and normally spend a fair effort of our time trying to find good, away from the tourist crowd, places were the locals eat. Well after being told to eat here by more than a couple of locals, we never really ate anywhere else in town. Its away from the plaza (and the tourists crowds) and has a couple of great big wood fired ovens sitting out the front which is constantly churning out dozens and dozens of some of the best empanada’s we’ve ever had (we had more than our fair share over a few days to make sure!).They also do some other good wholesome local dishes (tamales, lentil as well as meat stews, etc).If you are looking for tables clothes, napkins and fancy food – don’t come here. But if you want to eat some decent and tasty food, we recommend this place.If you’re not after a meal, just sit outside and drink some beer and munch down a few empanadas with the locals.
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

This is not the best food you will find in town but it is very good for the price. We had the roast quarter chicken meal and a dozen empanadas. Chicken was really good but the empanadas not the best I’ve had in Cafayate. The outside (pastry) was a tad overdone. The good thing about this place it the prices, about 20% lower than near the plaza. Other diners, a mix of local and tourists, seemed happy with the food. The place was almost full. There are many options for food.

Reviewed 3 December 2016

We were the first people to arrive. Sat and ordered drinks and a dozen empanadas to share, which they then put into the outdoor oven to cook. Fifteen minutes later or so, two groups who arrived after us were served their empanadas - we had to chase up our waiter, who had clearly forgotten about us. He then took the order for our main course - I ordered steak and my three friends ordered pizzas. However, the menu didn't say what the pizzas had on them. We asked the waiter and he clearly wasn't sure but told us what he thought they had. My steak was OK but overcooked and quite bland - edible though. When the pizzas arrived, they were totally different to what he had claimed. I asked how he was going to correct the mistake. He said, in Spanish, "I don't know"! At my suggestion, he gave us litre of white wine to make up for the error (my friends were too hungry to send the pizzas back and wait). However, they were totally inedible - we have travelled all over South America (cycling) and they were some of the worst pizzas my friends had ever had. Cyclists are not fussy but these were terrible! To be fair, they took them off the bill, but only after I had had a lengthy (polite but forceful) exchange with the waiter. Rubbish food with very poor service - I cannot recommend this place...

Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

We visited here for lunch and it was very good. We had a milanesa the napolitana, a salad and vegetables pie, all tasted good and came fast, the place is also cheaper than the ones at the main Plaza. We can recommend this resturant.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Myself and my partner came across this place one evening we wore surprised as it was very reasonably priced so close to the plaza. The food was tasty and the service was quick. I would go back!

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

Busy with locals and tourists alike, the restaurant offers simple plates of meat or pasta dishes. The food was well seasoned and generally good, although not at all fancy. The empanadas are very nice, and not badly priced. The restaurant no longer has a license for alcohol, which is a shame.