“could have never had such a lovely place to stay”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of 2 Stone Cottage

18th century stone cottage
Relax in front of the log burning stove.  Views acroos the loch Newly installed kitchen December 2013  Views across the loch
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
18th century stone cottage
Relax in front of the log burning stove.  Views acroos the loch
Newly installed kitchen December 2013  Views across the loch
Electric oven, hob and microwave
Fully equipped.  Plenty of crockery and cooking utensils.
Utility area with dishwasher, washing machine and clothes drying area
New carpet and curtains October 2013
A wide selection of dvds, games, fiction books and walking books for you to enjoy
Main bedroom with kingsize bed and woodland views
Twin bedroom with woodland views to rear
Bathroom with electric shower,  New floor December 2013. the cottage also has a downstairs toilet
Grassed area at rear of the cottage leads to woodland
Deer in the rear garden.  Great to spot in the morning or early evening
Large gravel area at rear used for off road parking
Loch Linnhe
A wide variety of watersports area available within a 5 minute walk of the cottage
Pap mountain Glencoe
Evening view across the loch
Ice walking near Kinlochleven
Glencoe village
Seil Island near Oban is an excellent day trip
View across the loch from the front of the cottage
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
D S
“low hygiene standard”
Reviewed 5 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

We arrived to the Stone Cottage no.2 in the evening and cottage seemed tidy but not clean which became more apparent in daylight. Dirty, stained, sticky sink, fridge and floor in the kitchen. We found – spider webs and mold at windows, dirty sinks, hairs and dirt at shower, huge ball of hair and dust and dead flies at the corners, dust on shelves and behind sinks in bedrooms. It seems like cleaner only changed bed linen and made sure kitchenware was cleaned in dishwasher. Cleaner came afternoon surprised what is the issue. Initially she told us that cottage was cleaned but once we showed her what we founded she said that cottage wasn’t ready yet as she didn’t have enough time or notice. She promised to us that she will come next day and she will clean everything. But nobody came next day. We took and sent pictures to owner so she can judge and see the situation although it is difficult to capture it all by camera.I am afraid we have never received any apology or compensation. Owner has planned to visit cottage in 5 weeks to assess herself which was clearly not satisfactory.
We couldn’t recommended this cottage. Hygiene level is the lowest what we have seen so far and noise from the road is considerable.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Glencoe
Liked least: hygiene level and noise
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
29 Mar 2016
Thank-you for your comment. I received a phone message from yourself the lunchtime, the day after you checked in. You mentioned that the cottage was not clean and you needed me to come to visit to discuss compensation. I explained that this was not possible as I live a 5 hour drive from the cottage. However I phoned the cleaner and she arrived within 20 minutes of me speaking to you. The cleaner states that she cleaned the areas that you were concerned about, but she was unwilling to clean the kitchen/cooker top as you had your dishes from the previous day and breakfast left out and she felt it was not her place to tidy these up.
I did not hear from you again until I emailed the day before you left to apologise about the start of your stay, but hopefully you were now enjoying your time at the cottage.
You emailed when you left to say that you were not happy and were still looking for compensation. I replied the same day stating that we would look into your pictures/complaint so do not agree with your comment above that you have had no prompt reply.

We have visited the cottages this weekend, and looked into the pictures you sent. I agree the toilet brush is rusty and has been replaced. There is a gap between the external section of the shower and wall where dust had accumulated. The cleaner did clean this for you. We have had a look at this, and reminded the cleaner to check this area more frequently.
Apart from the toilet brush, we were happy with the cleanliness of both of our cottages, as a result we are unable to offer you the compensation you have been demanding.

I am sorry you did not like the cottage or its location, but we have always strived to make it a cosy cottage for our guests and we do have many repeat visitors.
I feel the cleaner coming within 20 minutes to discuss the problems is a quick response which can not be criticised.
pacman196...
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“could have never had such a lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 8 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

we have been longing to come here for years as we watched highlander and wanted to see the area it was filmed, i also have back and neck trouble so my son bought this hoilday as a treat it was wonderfull. would love to stay longer next time.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the place was like a home from home
Liked least: try to get fire going
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
ANNE G
“lovelyand homely cottage”
Reviewed 3 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015

This is a very nice cottage in a great scenic area ,the only bad thing about the house is the shower area , the tiles and surroundings are needing to be deep cleaned with bleach ,surely the cleaner would notice this also. I would recommend this cottage ,and would certainly come back again

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
2 Nov 2015
Hi Anne,

Thank-you for your comment. We are up at the cottage next week, so will have a look at the shower area and see what we can do to improve it.
muddlefud...
Thetford, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed 28 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

Arrived at No.1 Stone Cottage at 4:00pm after a 12 hour journey to find the cleaner in the cottage doing laundry but the cottage not cleaned. She had no idea the cottage had been let so in no way was it her fault. The traffic noise is awful as most of the windows and doors are not double glazed and have no sound insulation at all.
There is a partition wall and doorway between the cottages which is neither soundproofed nor sealed in any way. The lack of a gasket on the door allows not only sounds but smells of cooking and whatever to freely pass through.
We was told by the cleaner that one of the owners (Mark) and a couple of his friends would be staying in No.2 from Thursday until Monday. They arrived late Thursday evening and went out returning around 11:30PM. We were kept awake from the sounds of talking and loud music until just before 4:00am when we finally managed to get to sleep.
We went out Friday morning and returned around 7:00pm to find the dishwasher in the cottage was washing the dishes of those staying in No.2. They had obviously let themselves in through a locked door to do this.
I went next door to explain that I wasn't happy that they had access to the property (and were happy to use that access) whilst I was staying there but could not talk to the owner Mark as his two friends (who appeared confused) did not know where he was or when he would be back.
I tried to contact Sue (the owner) but could not reach her on her home or mobile phones so sent her a text which has not been replied to.
We felt we could not stay in the property any longer as the thought of three adult men who were complete strangers and who had a set of keys to the cottage which they had used at least once, could come and go as they pleased.
I could not contact the listed owner to come to any kind of resolution so packed and left the cottage at 7:45pm on the 26th June having paid for the cottage until the 4th July.
After arriving home on the Saturday morning and getting a much need rest, I rang Holiday Lettings to find out if they could assist but they also could not contact the owner either.
I have still had no contact with the listed owner - Sue Ward

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
1 Jul 2015
Thank you for your review.

You initially sent a text to say that you were leaving the cottage. Unfortunately my husband was unable to visit the cottage that weekend as he was away from work. So had let the cottage out to other guests.
You then did not send any further communication until you emailed this review.
When Holiday Lettings contacted me to say you were unhappy, I explained to them that you had not contacted me to explain your concerns simply sent a text to say you were leaving. Your main concern to them was that someone had let themselves into the cottage.
I have emailed to explain that there are 3 keys, 1 of which was in England with myself , one the cleaner had who was in Inverness and the one you had. Which I assume you had in your possession.
From speaking to the other paying guests, you had gone round and stated that they had broken in and put the dishwasher on.
The cleaner has checked the cottage and there is no sign of forced entry, and all dishes etc in the cottage are ones from cottage 1 (There is different styles of dishes in each cottage).
The adjacent cottage has its own dishwasher etc so a natural assumption is that rather than break in to your cottage the guests would use the one there.

The dishwasher as explained in my email has a delayed timer button, so I believe that one of your party may have accidently pressed this button hence why it was on when you returned.
Neil B
“Short climbing weekend”
Reviewed 18 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

Cottage was great. Good price with only 2 staying. Clean with everything we needed. Keys easy to pick up, this was important as we were travelling up after work on a Friday so didn't arrive till after 10. Great location for us, close to GlenCoe but easy to Ben Nevis as well. Would have liked more wood for the stove, we had to buy some, or would have liked to know that we would have to buy it. Also would have liked a long handled brush to sweep up the kitchen, ended up doing it with dust pan and brush which after two days hard climbing was tough on the knees!
Other than these two minor gripes no complaints at all. Will be back again.

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing