All reviews the pub haywards heath twin bedded room room was basic but clean sunday roast small tv bluebell railway kippers full english breakfast mars bar cheesecake tired and in need an evening meal business trip bed linen breakfast was excellent following morning one night stay
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for a wedding in the town.
Booked a family room for £80.
Would not class this at 4* at all - pub feels tired and in need of some tlc. Room was ok in size but tired, old in style, not the cleanest bathroom.
Bed mattress pretty lumpy and not best quality. No shower in the ensuite just a shower hose running off bath tap so had to sit in bath awkwardly to use. Water pressure absolutely rubbish. Couldn’t wash hair as would have taken forever!! Water either scolding or cold. Not really good enough not to have a stand up shower in what is supposed to be 4*.
Breakfast ok but had better. Staff friendly enough but it needs some work to be a true 4* experience where your customers look forward to returning to stay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sazzle1986-smh
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

The Wheatsheaf Inn was My first local many moons ago. The trip a sentimental return to my birthplace of Cuckfield. Hearty food the Chile Con Carne was very good. The very friendly staff made us welcome. The Breakfast was exceptional and the room comfortable

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foxoz1
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

The main meals were ok ........ typical pub grub, generous portions, but the deserts really let the meal down. A square of cheesecake (who serves squares of cheesecake unless you’re in hospital or school??) with a strawberry pie filling topping! Completely unnecessary with British strawberries still readily available. The chocolate and raspberry tart was as bad with very thick pastry and not even a hint of a fresh raspberry despite, once again, being in season. Been here several times but the quality of the food has definitely declined. Bar staff weren’t particularly friendly either.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We called in here a year ago when passing through the area and had such a good lunch we planned a detour so that we could have lunch here again when we were in the area again. The pub was quiet and we were welcomed in by the lovely Jess. My husand has coeliac disease and it's so nice to have a separate gluten free menu with loads of choice, plus Jess dashed off to the kitchen to check if any of the daily specials could be made gluten free.

The food was delicious and the service very friendly. We'll definitely be visiting again whenever we are in the area.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2018

I admit up front this review is a little late, so they may have made some improvements, but I will be very surprised if they have. I stayed here for the weekend as was attending a wedding. The hotel is just tired and needs some serious upgrades. Carpets were dirty and threadbare throughout the hotel section. The room was very small with damage to the walls - not the paintwork, the actual walls! Paintwork was dirty/dusty throughout. The bathroom had mould in the bath and the shower curtain was hanging off. The cupboard was dirty and paintwork all chipped. I arrived late at night and was a quick stay, otherwise I would have found somewhere else to stay. The hotel said they had internet but it did not work in the room at all so I had to go downstairs whenever I needed to get on line. When I asked about it I was told there was a problem with internet in the UK in general!. The staff was friendly and the breakfast which was included was great - I cannot fault the food, but the overall hotel experience was not pleasant. They need to replace carpets, give it a good clean and paint. There was a tiny TV in the room which you could hardly see from the bed. The room resembled student housing and was more like a hostel, than a hotel. It is a shame as a lovely building with so much potential to be a cute village B&B.
Final point, if you are a light sleeper, do NOT stay here as the hotel is located on a very busy road and the noise from cars, trucks and buses started very early in the morning.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room facing the main road - very noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo