All reviews snooker room french chef dining room public rooms crash site gin bar comfiest bed venison nice dinner and breakfast huge range wellington boots falconry centre seals playing three course meal shower pressure perfect evening christmas period
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We loved our stay at Shieldaig Lodge. It's a beautiful old hunting lodge with some wonderful old features and charm, but with all the amenities of a modern hotel - except maybe decent wifi and TV, but who goes to the Highlands for that? It is a slightly pricier option, but worth it, in my view.

The service was exceptional from the time we arrived until we left. We felt very well taken care of and everyone was friendly and more than helpful. The lodge isn't that large, so the same handful of staff who checked us in were later helping in the dining room, then also in the bar after dinner, and again at breakfast.

There are a lot of rooms on the ground floor for guests to use, including a great bar with a huge, impressive whisky selection and a games room with a snooker table. The rooms at the front of the lodge have spectacular views out over the loch, so it was nice to sit and enjoy the scenery with a drink (and without the midges!).

We were a larger group so had three rooms in the hotel. My room was very comfortable, however, the bathroom was quite small. You had to shimmy around the sink to get to the toilet and two people couldn't be in there at the same time. A minor gripe, but if you like space in your bathroom, check what's on offer before you book.

We enjoyed the 3-course dinner in the dining room and, although it is relatively expensive, it's not that far out of line the with other places we stayed in the Highlands. There's a lot of seafood on the menu so it's never going to cost peanuts. I agree with other reviewers that some a la carte options would be nice to have, especially if you're staying several days, but this didn't bother us. We weren't able to try the cooked breakfast in the morning, as we had an early boat trip to get to, but the staff made sure we were able to get continental breakfast before leaving.

I wish we'd stayed another night or two to take full advantage of the activities on offer on the huge estate. There's a falconry, as well as walking trails, options for deer stalking and fishing, and more.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Beth H, Marketing Associate at Shieldaig Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We're so pleased to hear that you had a great stay and that our staff could help make it more enjoyable. It is a pleasure to read that you were delighted by our waterfront views and public areas. We hope you have the chance to visit us again sometime soon in order to take full advantage of the outdoor activities!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

The hotel is down a narrow road off the A832 that runs from Poolewe to Inverness. The junction is well signposted with the names of the hotels in the area. It's a former Victorian hunting lodge belonging to the Gareloch estate which has 26,000 acres on the banks of Loch Gareloch, and offers a range of activities, including falconry.

It's an old building with something of a gentlemen's club feel to it, with a library and sitting room. The bar has a huge range of whiskies, including some rare ones that are no longer made.

Because of the remote wooded location and surrounding hills, we couldn't get the TV in our rooms to work, and the internet signal was very weak. The restaurant is good, and breakfast was superb, but the only choice for dinner was an expensive fixed-price three- course meal.

However, we took advantage of a falconry session in the morning, and I got to handle a very large and heavy eagle.

Our group was mixed in reactions to the hotel. One person absolutely loved its isolated location and ambience. I was disappointed that there wasn't an a la carte meal option, and that we had to take the expensive three course meal. I was also frustrated with the internet and TV situation, which I realise the hotel can do nothing about. My solution was to imagine myself back in the 19th century, before such distractions, and to soak in the atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
ShieldaigLodge, Marketing Associate at Shieldaig Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shieldaig Lodge and taking the time to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed our extensive whisky collection. We do apologise about the inconvenience you experienced with TV reception and wifi connectivity, we value guest feedback and will strive to improve this issue. We appreciate your compliments and hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

My wife & I were looking for lodging en route from the Orkney Islands to Skye, and learned that Ullapool was just about completely booked up. I think we dodged a bullet on that...the place was lousy with cars and tourists. Shieldaig Lodge is in a much quieter location--on its own MASSIVE estate--and has a really different vibe. It's a little pricier but well worth the price: the room was beautiful, the food imaginative, and the bar amazing. The scenery is spectacular! The lodge is located on a lake, and if you're feeling ambitious you can hike up to alpine lakes with fantastic views. Still, what we'll probably remember are the idiosyncratic details that reminded us we were in Scotland...the fishing boats mooring nearby, a falconer who brings birds of prey into the hotel, moss-covered everything, and even a dinner gong. The old hunting lodge has been updated with modern amenities and feels a great distance away from the tour buses.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for outstanding 5 star review, we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and choosing to stay at Sheildaig Lodge during your recent trip to the West Highlands. We're thrilled to read that you enjoyed the convenience of our location, Scottish scenery is really something magical. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I stayed here in August 2017 and really loved it. The staff were great, the hotel was stylish and had a great sense of Scottishness in a classic way. It was a very relaxed place to be and with excellent food and a beautiful bedroom overlooking the bay. Will be back if I'm up that way again :)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
ShieldaigLodge, Marketing Associate at Shieldaig Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Wow! Thank you for your outstanding 5 star review. We're so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us at Shieldaig Lodge. Your compliments about the service provided by staff, quality of food and our seafront views are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I was in room 2 which was a single, which was very small. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linen very good. The walls were painted in white and the room was furnished with antiques. The bathroom had a shower and was well decorated. The shower was average in terms of water pressure and temperature. The hotel gets my reward for the largest and best bath towels of anywhere I have stayed recently. For dinner I started with salmon tartar with parsley langoustines served with a savoury crab chantilly which was very nice. For my main course I had pan seared Ardgay Estate venison haunch with port jus. There was not much jus. The dish came with a baked onion on a pastry base along with a grilled tomato and potato Lyonnaise. The dish was very nice although my 'pink' venison was only half pink with the other half bordering on the well done. For dessert I had Drambuie flavoured creme brûlée served with homemade flapjack and strawberries. The flapjack was delicious although the creme brûlée could have done with more Drambuie. All in all it was a lovely meal. This is a very nice comfortable 'old fashioned' type hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
ShieldaigLodge, Marketing Associate at Shieldaig Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

We thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us and we sincerely apologise for the water pressure and temperature you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that guest feedback is taken into consideration to only better each guest's experience. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our bath towels and robes! We hope you join us again soon!