“Really genuinely terrible”

Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Middleham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

It was a footie night so me and my mum wanted somewhere quieter... which it was! Almost completely silent! But we ordered anyway, the salmon and garlic pizza with cheese starter. The salmon was barely average, but passable as restaurant food... the pizza came, inexplicably, without cheese, and tasted like actual carboard. I couldn’t bring myself to eat it it was so bland. So I asked them to cancel our mains, said we’d pay up and leave. Despite the fact I’d eaten about a bite of the pizza they still had the cheek to charge me for it. I work in a restaurant, a very good one at that, and if someone left an entire meal because it was so inedible, I wouldn’t charge them for it. Cannot state this firmly enough DO. NOT. EAT. HERE. Waiter, by the way, was inept.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Ideal for a simple meal. Good wholesome food freshly cooked and good value for money. Nothing fussy but ideal after a day travelling.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Staying in the dales for a week and fancied a change from pub food so visited the bistro.
Unfortunately we had a long wait for our meal, around 45 minutes. I ordered steak which was ok, nothing special and my partner ordered calzone which was not good, very little taste. Waiter had to hunt for a steak knife and looked taken aback when I asked for mustard. Didn’t bother with pudding. Could have been so nice.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

The food was nice but it was quiet and had a uncomfortable atmosphere it would have benefited from some background music!

Reviewed 15 June 2018

The Waiter with the beard was excellent - we have been before and he recognised us, he really should be the Restaurant Manager!

Besides him the service was slow, badly run and frankly an embarrassment to the Restaurant Trade. Twice I returned a Steak having asked for it medium it arrived about as well done as Tarmac, we waited a full 40 minutes for the following:

i) A badly AND incorrectly cooked Steak
ii) A tepid, at best, Pesto Pasta
iii) A pie, which wasn't as well prepared nor presented as our first visit just under a year ago
iv) Chicken Skewers and chips which looked nice, but the chips weren't cooked properly

I really can no longer recommend the White Swan, but will should the service change.

However, if you like waiting 40mins for food in an empty restaurant - this is your place!