All reviews beautiful building hotel is lovely new chef special occasion sunday lunch portion size very pleasant stay mash one night stay continental breakfast yogurt lovely meal salmon lovely staff excellent food spacious room wedding
Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

I had booked a single room for 60,50 Gbp (without breakfast). As was to be expected the room was very small, hidden in a corner on the first floor. Room and shower were clean. The building itself is beautiful, but it just wasn't doing it for me and felt a bit too formal. Staff were friendly. I had dinner in the bar, which was ok. I read that others complained about wifi not being available. That is incorrect. There is wifi in the rooms.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Staying in Harwich at end of long day walking the Essex Way - was a little wary about staying here having read reports of poor service and very tired rooms - but we were very pleasantly surprised. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist, had very luxurious rooms, excellent service and very good food. Sadly the restaurant was empty so we ate in the bar which we shared with some very boisterous locals - this was a slight distraction! It is a fairly large old style hotel and I guess things can sometimes go wrong but for our stay it was faultless.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Well what can I say after living in Harwich for 16 years the towers was always somewhere we would eat and recommend to people but after our visit on bank holiday Monday we will not be returning nor would we be recommending to anyone .

We have now moved abroad and was visiting Harwich for bank holiday weekend we decided to go here for lunch with family & friends we were given the menu in the bar area and we all decided we would have the carvery which was taking place in the dining room we ordered starters which were lovely we were then lead up to the carvery for our main . Well I have to say that being a chef myself I could see that this food has been laying there a long time as most of it was dried up and hard Yorkshire puddings looked like they were from last nights dinner. We complained to the chef serving who then got the head chef from the kitchen he couldn’t say much and argued that it was fresh . 10 minutes later a young girl came to the table and said they couldn’t see what our problem was and began to clear the table and in a very rude manner told us she wouldn’t be offering us anything else . We were obviously spoken about as each staff member who was working in the bar cane though to have a look at us . By this time the children were getting fed up as they were hungry . The young waitress eventually returned and placed the bill on the table for the starters & drinks we then went through to the bar to pay on the way out she was standing at reception still no apology we asked for the manager and she told us she was the manager and she really didn’t care what we thought . Also they didn’t see anything wrong with the food but after we had complained they cleared it all away and brought fresh food out for the next group that arrived .

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely grounds but... the staff were not very attentive at breakfast or reception. We had to serve ourselves for coffee off the counter and we were not asked if we wanted tea. The reception was barely manned, we waited over 10 minutes to get attention from anyone. The rooms are clean and have everything you would expect but the beds are very hard so we didn't sleep well.
The door into the room allowed alot of light through the edges from the landing so the room was never fully dark.
The television has lots of channels but only a few work and the TV was placed very low in comparison to the bed so watching this in the evening was uncomfortable.
The toilet was a nightmare to operate... The hotel uses a duoflush system that uses less water so although saving water is great you have to flush the toilet several times just to get the paper down so I won't go into the 'number 2' situation.... Also I might add no toilet brush available!
The overall decor of the hotel is very dated and needs bringing into the 21st century.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

My mum and myself visited for 2 nights leaving on 2nd September. We stayed here whilst visiting family and attending a wedding. The hotel itself is beautiful, although the beds were slightly uncomfortable. We had an issue with the cleanliness of our room, but staff were really accommodating. We received a refund and the room was deep cleaned. Overall The staff were amazing. Marie The hotel assistant was outstanding!!! Very kind, understanding and could not do enough for us. Bev the House Keeper was also incredible! Very friendly, helpful and both of their customer service were outstanding. The breakfast prepared by the head chef was incredible but the other cook was not as good. Overall we had a good stay. Any issues were resolved and staff made our stay!!! Thank you. Room 1 - Mitchell

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family