“Wonderful place to stay”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 161 reviews

Reviews from our community

daveandju...
Cleator, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 23 November 2019 for a stay in October 2019
person found this review helpful

The Retreat is a wonderful, quiet, secluded get away.
This was our second visit and definitely lived up to expectations again and was even better than last time as there is now WiFi throughout.
Joy is a wonderful host and came to introduce herself once we'd arrived but was never intrusive throughout our stay.
The accommodation is very comfortable and warm and there is everything in the kitchen that you would need from dishwasher tabs to coffee pods and cling film and all appliances of a high spec.
There is a lovely large shower and there is a TV in the bedroom for those who enjoy coffee in bed in the morning, catching up with the news.
What we love most about this place is the hot tub and since our last visit Joy has added a huge umbrella to the outside area which covers the hot tub. We really enjoyed being in the hot tub, watching the birds and squirrels, with a glass of wine and the rain pouring down around us (but protected by the umbrella obviously).
We will definitely return in the future.

Date of stay: October 2019
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
7 Dec 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a line. Delighted you found the huge cantilever umbrella useful - it covers the entire tub and handy in showers. As our visitors know winter is a great time to enjoy the hot tub - which is set at a constant 38c and such a short step from the property too! I provide hot tub towels, hot tub slippers and hot tub dressing gowns to ensure you stay warm at all times!!

It is really great for me to have returning visitors like our guests here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to write such lovely lines. I have noticed fewer visitors do leave reviews but future guests rest assured we are busy year round and I just love having you all to stay!

I look forward to seeing you in 2020!

Joy xx
Steve V
“Wonderful secluded getaway.”
Reviewed 24 August 2019 for a stay in August 2019

We needed a break from our busy London lives, and our anniversary came up so we wanted to just hide away somewhere quiet and peaceful for a few days. Our choice was the retreat at hedgehog corner.
What a wonderful place.
The retreat cottage sits in a wonderful location, nestled in amongst some tall old trees, with a lovely little garden housing the hot tub. The cottage is wonderful. Joy thought of everything, all your needs without any clutter. Information about the local area, clear instructions on how everything works, a little welcoming pack and things like robes and towels for the hot tub etc. Beautiful and clean interior, cosy but modern. Joy gave us a wonderful welcome and made us aware she was on hand if needed, but gave us complete space and privacy to just chill and do our own thing. Sitting in the hot tub after a day exploring the area, whilst the sun sets, cocktail in hand (plastic glasses provided) was the pure indulgent relaxation we sorely needed. We are vegans and also very environmentally conscious and it was also great to see lots of ethical cleaning products and toiletries in the cottage, as well as good conscious recycling and a general environmentally positive outlook about the area. Joy is happy to receive grocery deliveries, so you can order your food to be delivered to the cottage for your stay from your fave supermarkets. The location is wonderful, close to both Axeminster and Lyme Regis which are wonderful little towns with plenty to see and do. This place easily earns it's rave reviews, I would say it's peaceful perfection and cannot recommend more highly. Joy is the perfect host, she even posted a coat that we forgot and left in the cottage, back to us.
I can see us returning the next time we need to unwind. Thanks Joy!!

Date of stay: August 2019
25 Aug 2019
And thank YOU for being such perfect guests. I’m glad my eco credentials have been spotted and appreciated. It makes my efforts all worthwhile! I hope to see you both again.
Joy
336nickiw
Olney, United Kingdom
“Allwood ”
Reviewed 12 August 2019 for a stay in August 2019
person found this review helpful

We had an amazing 4 nights away from the Children and hustle & bustle of family life , it was perfection the Retreat has Every thing you need and Joy makes you feel so welcome,
We enjoyed travelling around the Jurassic coast and visiting lots of places, we also used two of the local pubs for meals which were both lovely.
The hot tub was a real treat between our days out and really relaxing .
We will be back

Date of stay: August 2019
14 Aug 2019
Lovely guests who were a pleasure to have visit and I'm so grateful they left the property tidy. Delighted they enjoyed there stay and I hope you visit again! Joy
Dollydall...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A PERFECT & ROMANTIC HAVEN”
Reviewed 26 July 2019 for a stay in July 2019

We have just returned home from the most perfect holiday. THE RETREAT was beyond our expectations and the reception we received from the owner, Joy, made us feel so special (she IS a “joy”)! The cottage had everything you need & more, it was quite big and very clean. An ideal setting; tranquil, picturesque, idyllic, romantic and very private. The hot tub was amazing! So perfect. You can hear a pin drop in the garden so you find yourself just relaxing and listening to the birds. I confess we did not want to leave!!!! Beyond perfect and we will definitely return. Thank you to Joy

Date of stay: July 2019
26 Jul 2019
And what lovely guests you are! Can’t wait to see you again. What lovely weather you enjoyed. I’m delighted you came to stay. Joy
Teddybeae
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 19 July 2019 for a stay in July 2019

Me and my partner went here, we both had a great time, it was lovely. Joy and her partner made us feel so welcomed.
The hot tub was amazing!! The cottage was so cosy and have everything you need.
We highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing time away!
Thank you joy!

Date of stay: July 2019
20 Jul 2019
Thank you for being such lovely guests. Delighted you enjoyed your stay. I hope you visit again! Joy
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.