“Food for thought?!?”

Tierra Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 85 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Price range: US$11 - US$32
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Award winning modern restaurant using the best local, seasonal and organic produce in the South West. Suitable for vegetarians and foodies alike.
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Went for lunch here, as we'd heard great things about the restaurant and it's coveted with many awards, (see the window stickers).
Have to say we couldn't fault the food, delightful small tapas style dishes, samph ire fritters, hummus, falafel, ratatouille to name a few.
But our lunch was some what sullied by the abrupt nature of the service and staff, people being turned away, (when clearly they had empty tables), but not politely told sorry we can't take anymore, but bluntly refused a table in a rather rude manner, we witness this on a couple of occasions and then ourselves felt rather awkward and unwelcome by the whole attitude of the staff.
Really disappointing considering we'd heard how great the service was here.
Maybe some extra staff training on how to converse with your customers, might not be a bad idea. Really put us off coming again.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1 067)

28 - 32 of 1 067 reviews

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

I had heard about this restaurant from my home town in South Wales. On my visit to see a friend about a month ago, I finally got to try this place out. I can happily say I was completely blown away. I've been vegetarian all my life so I've tried my fair share of veggie places and this is up there with one of the best, if not the best places I've ever eaten. I was dining alone and was greeted with such friendly and welcoming staff!

The restaurant itself is in the most perfect setting, tucked down a lane, like a hidden gem and inside is just lovely. The food itself however was the real treat here. I had a starter and a mains and both were incredible, I haven't stopped thinking about the beetroot salad since; and have very poorly tried to re-create it at home with little luck. I quite obviously, highly recommend trying this place out. Compliments to the wonderful Chefs!

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank agwaluver
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Absolutely disgusting how we have just been treated. One young lad seemed to be managing all of the minimal amount of tables they had. Plenty of free tables inside and out. Asked if we could take a seat as the blunt sign outside specified to ask before taking a seat. The lad said he would check with his colleague to see if they could fit us in!?!? So after five minutes he was still serving other people we decided to take a seat to wait for his answer. Minutes later his colleague popped his head round the door and abruptly asked if we had a booking? To which I replied no, and before I could say we were waiting on his colleague to let us know if.... he very aggressively said “we are fully booked, so yeah,no, you can’t. Bye” and shut the door. Totally gobsmacked!! People sitting near were equally as shocked and said how rude that was and kindly asked if we wanted to join their table. Sadly by that point after being spoken to like that we would not put any our money in to your pockets. The people kindly recommended the uprising along the road where we were greeted with very pleasant staff. Giving it was only 1pm in the afternoon and loads of seats free, it’s a bit bizarre they were ‘fully booked’ in the height of the summer. Also if they were ‘fully booked’ perhaps a little bit of improvement in how customers are spoken to. Basic customer service, surely? Such a shame as the food looked lovely.

2  Thank B1608YNlauram
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Every time we visit Lyme Regis we book Tierra Kitchen for lunch during our visit. Have been here a number of times over the years and always look forward to coming back. This year we chose lunch and loved the small dishes, chose seven of them for the three of us and then came back for another slice if the excellent Frittata. The desserts are to die for, I chose the Chocolate Mocha which was superb. Can't wait to come back again. Always worth coming here whether you are vegetarian or not.

1  Thank CREMM
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Tierra Kitchen is a vegetarian restaurant in a quiet street in Lyme Regis. I'm not a vegetarian however my wife is so, whilst she was enthusiastic to visit I was more cautious. My caution was not necessary.

Excellent service from the moment we walked through the door.

The dishes were clearly prepared by people who love cooking and much attention had been given to the presentation, flavours and cooking of very good ingredients.

Following my experience at Tierra Kitchen I look forward to my next visit and to exploring more vegetarian restaurants in the future. However, before we get a chance to go back I expect we'll try some of the recipes out of the Tierra Kitichen Cookbook we purchased as we left. We will be back, thank you.