“Really good main courses”

The Millside Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 84 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2018

Quite a few mid-price restaurants now use local fresh ingredients, but a lot of them lack the flair to combine them effectively. My wife and I were bowled over by the tastes of our main courses, they were just lovely. She had belly pork with celeriac dauphinoise, I had Gurnard with spring onion mash, chard, rocket and walnut pesto. Both were the nicest main courses we have had for several years. Bravo! We would cheerfully go back again. A couple of notes: I would have preferred olive oil rather than rapeseed oil with the bread, and I thought the local bottled beer was a bit dull.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

We were on holiday and looking for places to dine in the evening and happened to walk past The Millside and saw they had a vegan main course on the menu. I emailed to ask about a starter, dessert and if vegan wines were available and had a fabulous reply back from owners Richard and Jessica, so we booked a table.

On the night we arrived, there was a copy of the wine list on the table, with clearly highlighted vegan wines, to make my choice easy and there were plenty of them, that is what I call customer service. There was also a dish with olive oil and balsamic to have with my bread, another attention to detail. The sourdough bread served was fabulous and you could easily eat too much.

Starters were goats cheese and beetroot for my husband and a beetroot & smoked walnut salad for me, both good sized portions and delicious too. Mains were gurnard with mashed potatoes, pesto and greens for hubby and a celeriac and butternut squash terrine for me, with heritage potatoes, spring greens and a vegan red wine jus. Only slight niggle for me, some protein like some kind of beans maybe on the dish would be nice. But you could see the care that went into the terrine of thinly sliced vegetables, carefully layered, it was melt in the mouth, well seasoned, perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious. I'm not sure how you cook a terrine, but this could have been a bland disaster of a dish in the wrong hands.

Desserts were peanut butter parfait and poached rhubarb with rhubarb sorbet for me, although I was also offered a variety of sorbets and cinnamon poached pear too, but I love rhubarb. Desserts were devoured, which says it all.

Service throughout from Miranda and Willow was spot on, professional, helpful and happy to have a friendly chat, what a great front of house team.

I would love to see what else chef Richard can create on the vegan front, I guess they don't get many vegan customers,but if I lived in the area, I would certainly be revisiting.

1  Thank Veganolive1
Reviewed 7 May 2018

This restaurant is situated in the heart of the city and at a rustic corner. The food is of good quality and service is excellent. The interior is nicely done and tables have real table cloth. The funny thing (I hought) is the central imitation ceiling beam, running in the wrong direction.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Had a nice enough time here - food was good and bill was reasonable. Menu a bit limited and service was a tad on the slow side but not really worthy of complaint. It just feels that it could be better - perhaps it is that elusive "ambience" that was missing. Last year we went to the French Lieutenants Bistro and got a much better vibe. The Millside feels far more sedate. It just all felt rather bland...

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Booking is Advisable to avoid disappointment... The homemade Soup and The Cod loin was Delicious and they have a Gin Menu