“Great location for a relaxing break in the country”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Luggs Barn

This characterful property occupies a magical setting in the Blackdown Hills AONB
The vaulted, beamed living room: a stunning space in which to unwind Luggs Barn is tucked away down a private lane yet accessible for coastal and countryside days out
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The vaulted, beamed living room: a stunning space in which to unwind
The balcony and garden furniture are perfectly placed to take in the wonderful views
Luggs Barn's well-equipped and stylish kitchen/dining room is perfect for leisurely meals
The spacious ground floor master suite features French windows opening onto the cobbled courtyard
This bedroom features an en suite shower room, window seat and exposed stone walls.
View from farmhouse across the cobbled yard to the hills beyond
The spacious family bathroom (shower over bath). There's also a downstairs WC plus two en suite
Rear of the property showing part of the huge garden and the gravelled parking area
The orchard is a mass of primroses and blossom in the Spring
Luggs Barn enjoys a huge private garden - perfect for families, pet owners or anyone seeking peace
The perfect, atmospheric location for a party or wedding reception (bring own marquee etc)
Soak up these glorious views from the balcony or garden - the perfect chance to unwind
Guests can explore our 5 acres of land, inc this woodland which is carpeted with bluebells in Spring
The owners' picturesque 15thC farmhouse is Luggs Barn's only neighbour
Monty and Ted are hugely popular with guests!
If you'd like to wake up to this view, call us now for late availability offers!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 32 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location for a relaxing break in the country”
Reviewed 30 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I stayed here with my wife and 2 kids, 6 and 4. We really liked the property, spacious and clean with great views.

We stopped as we were attending a wedding at the nearby Widcombe Grange property, which was 15 mins drive away.

I would have liked to have stopped longer to explore more of the surrounding countryside.

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Pollie
Northamptonshire
“Lovely Setting, Shame about the Upkeep”
Reviewed 28 August 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

I have thought long and hard about posting a less than glowing review because I can imagine how wounding it can be, however, having just come back from three weeks travelling across Europe I decided that compared to the cleanliness I found there, I had to post an honest account of what was supposed to be a great week away with my elderly mother and extended family which turned out to be a little less perfect than I had hoped for. As this is my mother's mani holiday for the year, it was a disappointment. What is worse I had contacted the owners before we went because of an earlier less than glowing review and was assured it was a blip.

The barn is is a lovely position however if you use the end bedroom downstairs (with the tiniest ensuite ever - that was a a bit of a shock) the window looks out straight onto the road and people do walk by, so it is a little off-putting.

When we arrived, I checked the bathroom as the toothbrush 'cups' had been mentioned before as not being clean. Guess what, the one in the main bathroom downstairs and the one in our bathroom were dirty and there was a blob of toothpaste on the cupholder. I washed these up but felt rather unhappy about it - yes I could have called the cleaning company but to get them out and to disturb our break seemed pointless. The carpet in the main bedroom was pretty stained and upstairs, the sofas were grubby. Then outside the wooden furniture had not been cleaned for ages and one of the chairs was broken. All very sad.

I understood there would be no welcome pack - although why a carton of milk, a loaf of bread and some eggs can't be left is beyond me - it makes such a difference and I have never stayed anywhere like this without a small pack being left. And there were no leaflets about anywhere other than two 'card packs' of walks. It must have been different once because there are comments about cakes being left.

My sister commented that the floors were not particularly clean and the whole place looks as if it needs some personal attention given to it. And the kitchen-diner is not very large, not for 8 people anyway which was a surprise.

I know I sound very negative and at odds with the other glowing reviews, and as I said I have thought about this a lot but then I thought that others will spend their hard earned money and look forward to a dream holiday and so I had a duty to say something. I am sorry to upset the owners however this was one of the most disappointing holidays I have had - in terms of the accommodation - and I felt guilty about bringing my family to somewhere which was not up to the standard it should have been.

Oh yes, one more thing - there we're no instructions manuals for any of the appliances (or at least we couldn't find them) which we all felt let it down and I ddi not like the 'warning' that if you used too much fuel for heating, you could be charged for the extra and the other little warnings about not using extra towels. And please, surely a few more loo rolls wouldn't be a bad thing?

Liked best: The location
Liked least: The state of the property - cleanliness
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Mark B
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely Lovely Special Place”
Reviewed 25 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

When we arrived we blown away by the beauty of the barn and it's surroundings. The inside matched the outside in a very positive way. The view of the surrounding hills is stunning. There is something really relaxing about hearing just sheep in the neighbouring field and nothing else, to take you away from the hustle and bustle of city life. There is loads to do and see in the surrounding area - we visited a number of National Trust properties that were close by. Jenny is a very attentive host with great communication. If we had any questions then she was very prompt in her reply - recommended.

I

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The amazing surroundings and the peace and solitude
Liked least: Leaving....
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Hannah C
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely long weekend”
Reviewed 5 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Lovely long weekend spent at luggs barn. Spacious house, nicely decorated, very comfy beds, all the self catering equipment you need. Set in such a peaceful location with lots of walks nearby and a very nice pub! Would definitely recommend this place and would love to come again!

Wild M
Reading, United Kingdom
“Three star accommodation at Luggs Barn.”
Reviewed 8 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016
people found this review helpful

There are positive and negative points. We will let the reader decide what is important to them.
Positive:
Nice area. Nice renovation of barn. Well equipped kitchen. Comfy beds. Clean linen. Plenty of hot water. Central heating. Great place for dog owners. Lots to do in the area. Lovely garden. Beautiful view. The sky on a clear night is awesome.
Negative :
The 5 star reviews are dated and unrealistic for 2016. We noted that June and July 2015 guest book reviews had been torn out as well as some pages from the previous year. There may be a good reason for that but to NOT find at least one average review is unusual. The owners must let people decide for themselves what is important. What we care about may not be an issue for someone else. So our observations:
Let us start with the tub of breadcrumbs which expired in March 2014.
The large downstairs bedroom smells heavily of mold, which has grown on the wall and has not been treated as yet this year. No windows in this room either. The carpet was heavily stained and needs a good steam clean.
The soap pump dispensers were thick with brown slime from months of accumulated old
soap. Really disgusting.
The kitchen table leg is dangerously loose.
A drinking glass in the downstairs bathroom had not been washed for some time and had toothpaste and stains on it.
The lounge sofas needed a good steam clean and the tatty cushion covers replacing.
A pillow fell on the floor and when it was picked up it was covered in dust and cobwebs.
A dirty tissue from the previous occupants was wedged between the headboard and the wall.
One sponge in the kitchen only with no kitchen roll or cloths to wipe down the surfaces.
There was absolutely no welcome waiting refreshements for us as stated on the website. Just leftovers from the previous occupants.
This is an off road area which is good for doggy owners but do not expect tranquility. In seven days we had vans and workmen (not farm workers) zooming in and out for five of those days.
The neighbours dogs are very sweet and friendly. So friendly that they will come in and make themselves at home if you leave the doors open. Not a problem for everyone I am sure.
The stairs up and down in the bedrooms and the kitchen are hard to see and so quite dangerous, as there is no banister or handhold or coloured strip to show where they begin and end. There is no 'mind the step' sign.
Luggs Barn may have been a 5* property some years ago but it needs some work and a lot more attention to detail to bring it back up to that standard once again.
I am posting negative pictures as the owner is posting enough positive pictures to address the balance.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view, the beds, the location.
Liked least: The lack of cleanliness, too many stairs.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
People with pets
Management Response
9 Apr 2016
Dear Wild M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Luggs Barn. We welcome all feedback and take all suggestions and comments seriously as we continue to strive to offer what the majority of our guests view as excellent accommodation in beautiful surroundings .
I am glad you were able to enjoy the area and thank you for your kind words regarding the renovation. We have tried to maintain the properties historical charm where possible and the wooden steps continue with this theme. We appreciate all guests will have there own preferences when it comes to interior. As an old renovated building we have worked hard to ensure that maintenance does not become a problem. Just two weeks ago we had a large section of the downstairs bedroom re-pointed in order to address this so I do apologise if you noticed any further areas that may have been missed by the builders. We will investigate this and of course revisit this if further work is required.
Further apologies for the areas that you did not feel were up to standard on cleanliness. We did call to inspect and rectify on multiple occasions but unfortunately you were not in a position to allow our cleaners to come and rectify the situation or able to take additional supplies to improve the comfort of your stay.
With regards to a missing welcome pack, this is unfortunately not a service we offer in our self catering holiday home. The welcome pack actually refers to the information pack we provide to enable our guests to get the most out of there stay. As environmentally conscience people, when a previous guest leave tea and coffee we tend to leave these for the next guests provided they are still well in date.
A previous guest had informed us that a drink was spilt on our guest book and the decision was made to remove those pages in order to keep the book looking neat. It was a shame to remove these pages as we really do appreciate all the wonderful feedback we have received not only in the guest book but those on websites such as trip advisor and the booking section of our own website along with multiple other online booking and review platforms.
We do share our drive with our neighbours and as they allow for the coming and going of our guests we in turn are happy for them to use the drive way too. We will however take your comments on board and speak with our neighbour to see if they can reduce traffic although this may have been a one off.
Once again we are glad you were able to enjoy your holiday overall and the beauty of the surrounding area.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing