“Family, Farm and Fun friendly? You got it”
Good quality mattresses and furniture
Kitchen fully equipped down to a cafetiere and garlic press Quirky dining table and dresser
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Good quality mattresses and furniture
Kitchen fully equipped down to a cafetiere and garlic press
Quirky dining table and dresser
Open fire or woodburner
Ekornes Stressless recliners in the Old Round House cottage
Heated indoor swimming pool (Easter to end of October)
Farm play equipment
Barn owlet
Barn owl on own of our Owlcams
Dundee - one of our miniature Shetland ponies
Frankie - our other Shetland pony - on a creekside walk
Trevorrick Farm and the Camel Estuary
The Camel Estuary and iron bridge
Trevorrick Seamills - walking in to Padstow
The Camel trail and iron bridge walking in to Padstow
Camel Estuary at low tide
Walk down to the beach from Padstow
The imfamous Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant in Padstow
Padstow harbour
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
NorthernF...
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, lacks quality and not that cycle friendly”
Reviewed 27 February 2013 for a stay in August 2012
people found this review helpful

Stayed at Trevorrick Farm as a family with my husband and child
We found our cottage to be sparsely furnished and fitted out. There was everything you needed but nothing extra and certainly far from the home from home experience we were expecting even having already making allowance for all the rules. As for being eco conscious it’s more like penny pinching and Ryanair style extras
A box of toys was provided but was mainly filled with track for the train set which was of little interest to our child so thankfully we had brought our own.
We liked the location particularly the proximity to the Camel trail where we cycled the length. But cyclists, be warned the cycle store is in an open barn near the entrance. Also the gate of the timber enclosure opens inwards so there's only room for a couple of bikes. This meant leaving bikes on the outside of the store or even on the car roof. Bike washing seemed to be frowned upon with a very short hose pipe offered with reminders not to waste water. We used the washroom to freshen up our cycle clothing but often found Melanie and already beat us to it. Incidentally the washroom like the rest of Trevorrick is much cluttered and doubles as the rubbish store.
Experience of the owners is that they didn't listen and were too busy / preoccupied to even care and there was certainly none of the is everything all right / what can we do better approach others have offered us in the past
Given other comments i put this down to the schools hols and them being busy. But having paid a premium rate we expected more.

8 Mar 2013
We thank our guest for taking the time to write a review, all feedback is appreciated.
Mike and I (Melanie) are genuine (and real!) people, who take great pride in giving our guests the best possible rural farm holiday experience, and sincerely hope that if guests have any issues they tell us at the time so we can action them. I was therefore puzzled to read this review at first, especially as the "family with one young child bringing own bikes" profile did not fit any August booking. Guidelines state travellers staying together can make separate reviews of their experience. We did have another August review recording a non positive experience from a family with one young child (but no bikes!). Readers can draw their own conclusions.

What we offer, in terms of our accommodation (most cottages gained a "Gold" award at four star in November) and facilities, is fully described and pictured on our website along with our "green tourism" ethos. Trevorrick Farm is set in an "area of outstanding natural beauty" and we hope our guests will work with us to help maintain beautiful Cornwall for the generations to come. We therefore have lots of information in our cottages about recycling, how things work etc, which I would hope most guests see as useful guidance rather than in a negative way.

To any worried cyclists, let me assure you that we are cycle friendly. We have an open barn at end of a short entrance road (our farm is one mile along a lovely country lane), adjacent to the car parking area, which is itself next to the cottages. We store our tractor and trailers here, and guests are also welcome to store bicycles, bike racks, surf boards etc - well illustrated on a "previous" traveller's photo. The enclosure at one end is actually our pony stable - therefore the gate opens inwards, to prevent an animal pushing at it and potentially escaping and we keep it pegged open. It is not a purpose built bike store, and we do not imply it is. As it is unused in the summer, we allow guests to put their bikes in that part - as well as elsewhere in the barn. Equally guests may choose to keep bikes in their individual cottage gardens. Wherever guests keep bikes it is common sense to use a cycle lock, and there are plenty of "anchorage" points in the barn. Should a guest have a particularly expensive bike, we would try to make alternative storage arrangements for them. We have a short hose (to avoid being a trip hazard) on a tap primarily for washing of wet suits or beach things, and would have thought this was long enough to wash a bike too. Though as the Camel Trail is a good surface to ride on, and the lanes around here aren't usually muddy, our experience is guests do not usually wash their bikes. Should they wish to, they are welcome, and as the hose is always there, don't quite understand comment of offering a hosepipe "with reminders not to waste water".

There are two washing machines in The Wash House for guests' use. I have my own in our farmhouse which I use, apart from changeover day washing when all machines are in use, which I hope guests understand. Generally guests aren't around when I am using them anyway, but if they are, they have priority. The Wash House is also our recycling centre (again a good "previous" traveller photo to illustrate how good our guests are at recycling), so I am not sure why the reviewer is describing it as the "rubbish store", especially given the reviewer appears to be writing the review from a "green" perspective.

I believe guests bringing their own bikes appreciate just how cycle friendly we are. We do like to chat about how much cycling we have done in the past - and how much we would like to do - if only........ Before having children and moving here we did at least 50 miles every Sunday - we had a bit more time then! We also suggest various cycling routes and show guests how to cycle to the Camel Trail. However busy we are, we always take a moment.......or two..... to speak to our guests - whether cyclists or not. In this case, I don't actually think the reviewer brought their own bikes - hence mistaking what I describe to guests with bikes as our "pony stable" for a bike store. - Many of our guests actually choose to hire bikes in Padstow or Wadebridge, and in 2013 we are working with a local cycle hire company to offer a "deliver" to your cottage (and/or pick up) service.

Re the toys provided, and I do think we are quite unique in the indoor toys that we provide, a "previous" reviewer who stayed with a young child in August has already put a photo of the living room of a cottage on Trip Advisor. It shows a wooden box of toys, a plastic crate of toys, and then a xylophone toy on top. There was also a good variety of books provided. - That's pretty typical of the variety of things I provide per cottage for a young child - but what I can provide does depend on how many children I have of a similar age at any one time. I am sorry if what was provided in this case didn't appeal - but if I had been asked I am sure I could have found something different!! The two new photos seem very much in keeping with the "previous" traveller photos, though the content of the reviews is very different.
DukeJB
Manchester
“Family, Farm and Fun friendly? You got it”
Reviewed 26 February 2013 for a stay in February 2013
person found this review helpful

We stumbled across this slice of Utopia by total accident, something I will be eternally grateful for. Trying to book a half term break at local B&B’s, a treat for my fathers 70th (a Rick Stein tour with his son and 14 month old grandson) I failed… miserably. However in my desperation I turned to Google, my fifth phone number on the list and Melanie answers! To begin with it was touch and go for a booking. Both Melanie and Mike we scrupulously honest, explaining that the weather had done significant damage to T.V. reception and fields were a literal wash out. But if I wanted to wait a week then book online they would consider options from there. I am so pleased that they were accommodating of such an annoying individual. After explaining the motivation of my visit they relented and agreed to a booking for 3 nights. Prior to arrival I received a friendly e-mail informing me of my booking details, arrival times and other sundry house keeping arrangements, including fresh milk deliveries!!! Melanie went out of her way to accommodate any requests we had for my son, a wooden cot, high chair and plastic cutlery and crockery. On arrival she also asked if we needed more that the 3 huge boxes of toys she had provided for my son.
Throughout our experience Melanie kept us informed of all of the arrangements, the conditions of the area and any seasonal variations in their offering (access to the swimming pool).
Having had a rural upbringing I truly value the chance to let my son experience the ‘real’ countryside on his holidays. The ducks, chickens and turkeys really entertained my son and if he every felt overwhelmed he knew who to put his arms out to for a reassuring cuddle (much appreciated by both Dad and Grampy!).
Neither Mike nor Melanie intruded on our experience but equally were on hand to tackle any concerns or queries we had. Melanie let us know when they would be physically present and where they were if they were not on the farm at any time. Given their family circumstances they manage and run an extremely professional and high quality experience. One I fully recommend.

Cammyleed...
Leeds
“Lovely & safe place for families !”
Reviewed 26 February 2013 for a stay in September 2012
person found this review helpful

My wife, 15 month old daughter and I stayed at Trevorrick for the second time from 22/09/12 to 29/09/12 in The Old Round House and had a fantastic time. This was our second visit to Trevorrick after spending a week there in Sept 11 when our daughter was only 15 weeks old.

The location is excellent, it's right in beautiful rural St Issey, well away from any any traffic in a secluded farm area which we found to be an extremely safe environment for our young family. Our second stay in the Old Round House didn't disappoint, Melanie met us on arrival and showed us the improvements that had been made since our last stay which included a king size bed, new bedroom furniture and leather sofa in the living room area. The cottage is spotlessly clean and had absolutely everything we needed to make our stay comfortable. Heating is via storage heaters and for the heating/hot water it cost us approx £10 for the week via a meter in the cupboard. I think we did really well bearing in mind we washed up 2/3 times each day and ran separate baths for me and my wife. Although there isn't a washing machine in the cottage there is one in the wash room and came in handy with our messy little girl so we didn't run out of clean clothes for her :-)
I work in the service industry and knowing your customer is key, Melanie certainly got it right for us. Melanie placed toys appropriate to Erin's age, child's plate, bowl and cutlery and bath toys ready for us ! Other improvements around Trevorrick included decked and private areas for each of the other cottages, which must have cost several thousand pounds and clearly shows that although a growing business, Melanie & Mike are investing to ensure they are continuously improving Trevorrick.

Trevorrick Farm clearly has families at the heart of the holiday experience, first thing to remember is that you are staying on a farm so it's lovely to be able to interact closely and freely with the animals that are around the place. Our daughter Erin loved seeing the "quack quacks" roaming around the place, the guinea pigs and rabbits that she was able to chat away to and pet, the pigs, goats, mini pony and Belinda the cow ! It was great having close proximity to the animals on a daily basis and definitely a hit with Erin. We also loved the open grassland which was perfect for Erin to safely run around on and the selection of slides, swings and climbing opportunities for a 15 month old and 34 year old child :-). A point to note is that Trevorrick is a farm and like I said earlier there are friendly animals either tottering about or being walked over the grass. For this reason and also due to morning dew etc I would definitely recommend wellies.. It wouldn't however have been an issue had we not been prepared as there was a dozen or more pairs in the games room which we could have borrowed for our daughter if needed !

We used the pools few times during our stay, the pool was extremely clean and the heated changing room with shower was perfect for when we'd done. As part of our induction when we arrived Mike showed us the pool area, provided us with the code to access and ensured we knew where the safety equipment/alarm was in case of emergency.

Although we didn't have any need for them during our stay, Melanie, Mike (and their boys at the weekend) were always about and doing one job or another around the farm whether that be tending to the animals, working the grounds, gardening, painting or cleaning the cottages on change over day - regardless of how busy they were they always stopped to check we were ok, chat with Erin, and suggest some of the lovely places to visit - Melanie suggested the Lost Gardens of Heligan and we had a fantastic time !

St Issey is only a 10 minute drive into beautiful Padstow or if you are in need of burning off some energy you can walk down onto the Camel Trail and into Padstow in around an hour - taking on the amazing Cornish fresh air and scenery along the way. I'm a keen photographer and there were no end of landscape shot opportunities ! Padstow is simply beautiful with some of the best places to eat in Cornwall. Steins fish & chips and cornish pasties are a must ! Another gem not to be missed is The Journeyman in St Issey which offers Indian & European dishes - I've written a separate review for The Journeyman and def recommend !

All in all we had a fantastic time at Trevorrick Farm, St Issey and Padstow and have booked the Old Round House again in Sept 2013 !! Thank you Melanie, Mike & family, we wish you continued success and look forward to staying again !

27 Feb 2013
Can't wait to see you all again! Just one thing to clarify/add is that storage heating has always been including in the price all year round as required. Normal electricity consumption is now also included - as detailed on our website - there are no longer "pound" meters. Yes, we are continually upgrading. We have a lovely new kitchen floor in Old Round House now. As I write we are having new double glazing fitted for 15 windows, installing a trendy big shower in Lily Pad, and hope to have erected our new "big" climbing frame before Easter!!!
Martin C
Lancashire
“Great location but not the family holiday accommodation we expected”
Reviewed 5 February 2013 for a stay in August 2012
people found this review helpful

We booked the Old Round House cottage for a week in August 2012 with our 2 year old daughter. The location is great and the cottage was on the whole ok but we did have issues and made a formal complaint. For info it took 8 weeks for a response which failed to address our issues, offer an apology, let alone recompense, so we have wrote this off to experience.

In my opinion the grounds are not as friendly family you would imagine. The free range poultry roam everywhere and always seemed very hungry snapping at your bags etc. and even my wife's foot as she opened the car door. As such there is duck muck absolutely everywhere including the play areas and equipment. Whilst on the grounds it's essential to wear wellies and thankfully it rained several times to help wash it away. There are 2 main play areas and our daughter did make use of the one nearest our cottage which had swings, slide, monkey bars and climbing net and a separate large trampoline. The equipment here is far from new and it could be seen that some repairs were needed. The other play area is apparently for younger kids but again duck muck everywhere and the play houses are cluttered full of stuff and several items here were broken. We attempted to use this once and then not again.

The owners inferred that they have too much equipment to maintain, which means that they are neglecting their duty of care and confirmed that our findings were the norm and not an exception, with them acknowledging that equipment was broken and in need of repair.

A key feature when booking Trevorrick was the swimming pool and we envisioned swims at the beginning and of the day but the opening times are restrictive 10 to 6 and half that Friday and Saturday. What isn't pointed out until your induction is the self-service pool cover removal and refitting which my wife didn't feel comfortable doing.

As for the rest of the grounds what can I say... the games room is cluttered and you would need to clear a space to use anything in there. The washroom is tiny doubles as the recycling area and a chick hatchery so the smell wasn't the most pleasant. The most pleasing aspect of the grounds was the pig sty where we enjoyed feeding our veg peeling and fruit to the 2 nice pigs but this was after dodging Barry the rooster.

The cottage was clean and amply kitted out, bar the wooden cot which was confirmed by email and verbally whilst making our booking. There was instead a travel cot / hard board mattress which we had wished to avoid for 7 nights. This was immediately pointed out whilst being shown the cottage by Melanie and her response was to offer a Z bed for our recently turned 2 daughter whom had never slept in a bed. Rather than make a fuss we agreed to try it out which didn't work. Thankfully we had our own travel cot and proper mattress so ended up using that. The cottage should have had an open fire but instead had an electric alternative for which the fireguard didn't fit so we didn't use. The heating was switched off and obviously isolated electrically as being an electrical engineer i tried to switch them on, when we discovered that the cottage was cold in the evenings / at night and even a little damp which was concurred by others. We also discovered that hot water was a luxury and is only available by use of the immersion heater which needed to be on well in advance of use and didn't last long. The main reason we choose the round house was that it had its own garden that was fenced off. Unfortunately the gate wasn't stock-proof and the ducks were in when we were out and left their muck. There is also a change of levels from path to grass area which wasn't mentioned along with prickly foliage during booking when we verbally enquired about its suitability for a 2 year old.

When we returned to the cottage at 7.30pm on our 3rd evening we found that we were locked out. Thankfully we had eaten but it was our daughter's bath / bed time. Melanie answered the door of their cottage and turned up 20minutes later. The "there when you need us service" that is mentioned on their website was found wanting and she nearly had a breakdown before finally getting us into the cottage at 10.30pm. A panel of glass which was broken to allow access was the taped up and despite us pointing out that this didn't offer any security and Melanie agreeing to promptly return it was left until the next morning. We consider that someone had been in the property which the owners denied and failed to acknowledge in our complaint saying that we didn't offer proof. The proof for me was that the door was damaged and couldn't be opened.

The above incident led to ill feeling for which no apology was offered at the time or since. In fact this escalated further on Friday evening / Saturday morning when we passed on our experiences to Mike. It transpired that Melanie had advised him that during the locking out incident, which my wife had be inconsiderate. Melanie had advised that Mike was away with the kids in hospital. My wife obviously asked about the emergency and was told it wasn't as the kids went for regular pre-planned treatment. Obviously as parents ourselves we have the greatest sympathy for the medical condition of the owner's children and would have accepted the poor service if it had be an emergency. However the impression we got which other reviewers have touched upon is that the owners have taken too much on and actually need some help running Trevorrick particularly during peak summer months, which their shoe string budget approach doesn't allow.

In the response to our complaint I was shocked that the owners categorised their cliental and giving the impression that more affluent and needy cliental aren’t suited to Trevorrick.
Incidentally this isn't us whom are a hardworking couple with a young child that expect to be shown some common decency and receive the service and basic facilities that a 4 star farm cottage should offer.

Be warned its take it or leave it the owners way / opinions are the only ones that count.

17 Feb 2013
Hello, I am Melanie. Mike is my husband and together we work very hard to make our guests' holiday experience as good as possible and so are deeply saddened to read our guest's review. We can only hope our potential guests will read other recent reviews and contact us if they have any concerns about this issues raised. Sadly most of the comments made were not notified to us at the time of the stay, and even the comments made on the evening of departure gave us no time to address any issues the reviewer may have had during their stay. However it is very kind of the reviewer to provide such detailed feedback and we hope we can use it in some way to further improve guest experience.

It seems to us that the sort of rural farm experience we can offer - for example the free range poultry and newly hatched poultry, as referred to on our website, which are one of the joys of staying here for many people - was not one that suited the reviewer. Many of our guests (both adults and children) really appreciate the time I spend "animal petting and feeding" with them most mornings. Equally maybe our "green tourism" ethos, which again is well documented on our website of which examples include the heat retaining cover kept on pool when not in use, the simple timer used for the immersion heater, and recycling as much as we can, was of no interest to the reviewer.

The reviewer mentions our cottages are four star rated. That is incorrect, we were delighted that 5 out of 6 of our cottages, including the ever popular Old Round House, were upgraded to four star gold in November 2012, reflecting continuing investment in our business.Our play equipment structures are of the highest quality. The popular giant play combine harvester was purchased in 2006 at a cost of £6,500 (yes really!!!) exclusive of VAT, and is commercial grade manufactured by the company that supply local theme parks. Our giant trampolene is top of the range and new pads for it were purchased in spring 2012. New for Easter 2013 - a further £2.5k investment in outdoor play equipment.

We do take health and safety issues very seriously - hence show people our popular swimming pool personally. We also give pointers for the safe feeding of animals and where they should be fed to minimise any mess near cottages (and indeed the play area outside the swimming pool). Our 6 white "Jemina Puddleducks" are incredibly popular, but do have a good awareness of exactly who feeds them and where they are fed! They waddle past the cottages through the large playing field and into the neighbouring agricultural fields each day and return back to their yard each evening. In our experience they have no reason and do not as a rule linger near the play areas - unless they have been fed there by guests. I saw our guest feeding the ducks on the large playing field one evening and I am sorry they didn't realise "welcoming" his wife out of the car was unwelcome - more than likely they thought a feed time was due and were waiting! Our giant sandpit is elevated and covered when not in use to avoid any possible fouling. Our play houses have doors which close. Our trampolene is elevated from the ground and of course is a shoe (or welly!) free zone. The "Puddleducks" can't fly, and I wasn't aware they could get into gardens unless gates were left open. - It would have been appreciated if any gap under a fence had been brought to our attention at the time! We are in the country and unfortunately cannot control the occasional roosting of wild birds on play equipment or on rafters in the open barn (barn Owls are protected birds!), - but do deal with it as it arises. We use our barn to try and keep the trundle toys dry, and also guests are welcome to store bicycles, bike racks, surf boards etc here - as shown in the traveller photo.

I am sorry that our reviewer has chosen to use a "positive comment" we made to him about keeping a book for guests to record any problems with their cottage/facilities in the Wash House out of context. Yes we do have a lot of "equipment". And maybe that is what makes us so special - especially to the "little ones". I am 1totally confident any outdoor equipment we provide is "safe" and fit for purpose at any time, but outdoor items can get worn by weather or use without becoming a safety hazard, so we are constantly renewing.

Regarding the swimming pool cover it sounds very much like the lady wished to swim alone/alone with the daughter - highly dangerous, as we advise. We can arrange to take off and replace the cover if asked. Swimming pools do echo, and we really wouldn't want other guests or our neighbours to have their mornings or evenings disturbed so in August we close it around 7pm - though often that is an "earliest" time. Obviously we would always consider "special arrangements" (as long as it did not entail swimming alone, and was unlikely to disturb others).

I am really sorry the reviewer's "experiment" of trying the child in a bed did not work. I am not sure why the reviewer did not ask for a wooden cot when I showed them the cottage, but instead came round to the farmhouse door around 20 minutes later and asked specifically for a "small bed", which I immediately sorted out. - I wasn't surprised to be asked for a bed as many two years olds who stay with us prefer beds rather than cots. I spent some time with the guests on the Monday night, and sadly they omitted to mention the fact the experiment hadn't worked and they would appreciate a wooden cot instead. I am afraid I cannot second guess these things!

Yes, we do wish the Wash House was bigger. However plenty big enough for 2 washing machines, tumble drier and sink. Also the only place to keep a payphone (just in case!), information leaflets for guest use (very useful!), computer with internet access (just in case!). - We are reluctant to remove these facilities. And yes, sometimes guests are enthralled by a few newly hatched chicks, fully enclosed in a cage in the corner. It is also a central "point" for the recycling. Great picture to show how much recycling our guest's do!! I try to clear it as it arises. - However looks like the photo was taken on the Friday night before guest's departure, when a lot magically appears!

And yes, I am very sorry that the reviewer on the Monday night somehow managed to "bolt" themselves out of the cottage - something that has not happened in our 12 seasons here with any of 6 cottages with similar doors. I willingly sorted the problem in what I consider a reasonable timescale in the circumstances, and gained access to the cottage by smashing a small pane of toughened glass only 12cm by 30cm, repaired next day. I still don't understand the review's stance that somebody else "bolted" them out, nor why between the "complaint" letter of 12 September and February review, the time "out" of the cottage has almost doubled to 3 hours!

And little things................The Round House has a lovely open fire - the electric fire is simply lifted away - it's not heavy! The fireguard in there is for the fire place opening. Immersion heaters are a common method of heating hot water where no mains gas. - We personally explain operation of hot water and storage heating (usually not required in summer!) to guests on arrival, but always happy to be asked again. The garden has a French door to patio and the most gentle slope - pretty well illustrated by our Trip Advisor picture. The wild rose hedge - to give privacy as attractively as possibly form the adjoining cottage garden, which has been in place since 1987 is not particularly thick and not "thorny" like a cultivated rose. At the end of the day no garden is suitable for a two year old child to be left in alone.

I am afraid we cannot second guess any issues our guests may have - we can only hope they are kind enough to tell us as they arise and give us the opportunity to do something about them during their stay. We try our best, and in life that is all one can do. I would hope that the majority of our guests appreciate our deep sincerity in the guest experience we try to provide.
foodkcm
“Fantastic family holiday spot”
Reviewed 1 October 2012 for a stay in September 2012
people found this review helpful

Just back from a fortnight with our three year old. Trevorrick is a great place: lovely setting in beautiful countryside, close to Padstow and the Camel trail and well-placed for travelling around Cornwall, with very friendly and helpful hosts in Melanie and Mike. As other reviewers have mentioned, the toys and facilities for children are fabulous - our little boy couldn't believe his eyes and was thoroughly entertained. There are great outdoor toys (climbing frames, trampoline, slides, swings, ride on trucks etc., play houses with food etc. inside); well-stocked games room next to the pool (train set, oversized doll's house, air hockey, table football plus loads more). In our house Melanie had left a duplo train set with all sorts of extras and a farm with huge selection of animals. Week two we swapped the train set for a Brio one and also gained a castle and box of knights, cannons etc. There were also loads of books, board games and videos so no chance of boredom! The pool was great and very clean. The animals are another attraction and we had great fun feeding the pigs! As mentioned Melanie and Mike are great hosts offering advice about local attractions, sorting out any minor problems we had (e.g. lightbulbs) right away and arranging for milk deliveries from the local dairy. All in a great stay and would recommend to anyone with children.

Travelling group: Family
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$140
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing