“Great place to stay”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of A Bit On The Side

The property adjoins a family home but has its own entrance and garden area.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The property adjoins a family home but has its own entrance and garden area.
Old Abbey Road is a quiet, family-friendly street just 5 minutes from the High Street.
The apartment sits opposite the 800 year-old ruins of North Berwick Priory.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

smr515Dur...
durham
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We wanted an option to Edinburgh but somewhere accessible by train and near the beach, (don't want much do we) however this was a great place, 3 mins walk to station, 5 mins walk to beach and 10 mins walk to some brilliant restaurants and fantastic coastal walks.
Patrick our host was very welcoming and we soon settled in, very well equipped and great showers and towels, if we were to have any negative comments it would be that after 3 nights the bed wasn't the most comfortable, however it's not the hosts fault, or because it's an old bed, it's a combination of the IKEA mattress and me being 18 stone! If it had a topper on it would make a difference but that's probably being a little over zealous. We'd stay here again without hesitation, we had a brilliant time, helped by Scottish sunshine, great local food and a brilliant train service into Edinburgh for only £13.20 return for 2 people !
Would have cost double to park a car.
Patrick thank you for your hospitality, worth the trip !

18 Aug 2015
Many thanks for such a kind review. Pleased you found the studio to your liking and I like your suggestion about the mattress topper. I will now look into this. Hope to see you again before too long.
Parkinson...
Durham, United Kingdom
“Homely and convenient.”
Reviewed 10 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We received a warm welcome from Patrick and settled into this lovely little apartment very quickly. We enjoyed exploring North Berwick, which is a beautiful place and our accommodation provided a convenient base with access to Edinburgh via train, from the station, which is literally around the corner. Really lovely stay.

11 Aug 2015
Thanks for such a positive review. Much appreciated. You make a good point about the railway link to the centre of Edinburgh. Sometimes I forget what a great advantage that is for visitors to North Berwick.
Agathe S
“Very calm andconvenient as 2 min from station.”
Reviewed 17 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I came to North Berwick to work (Scottish Open) and it was a true pleasure to come back home every evening after long day. Calm place, - I slept like a baby - close to the station and supermarket 5 minutes walking.

North Berwick is a very nice little town and I follow the advises of Patrick reference to the restaurant. Zitto is a place to go!

The studio is very well furnished and the bathroom is modern and very clean.
I don't want to share this address...
Patrick was very helpful, my only regret, I did not have time to share a drink to listen to golf stories...

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 35-49
18 Jul 2015
Thank you very much for such a warm, pleasant review. We would of course love to welcome you back to 'A Bit On The Side' for your next trip to East Lothian. Don't leave it too long!
June A
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Chill Out”
Reviewed 11 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Back for my second year and I swear that it was better this year than last. You have everything that you require to hand and the bottle of wine and the eggs are a very nice surprise. Patrick is the most attentive and considerate landlord you could ask for. My batteries are now recharged again and I will definitely be going back next year.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet
Liked least: Not applicable
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
13 Jul 2015
Thank you for your very kind comments. It was great to welcome you back for a second visit and we look forward to seeing you again before too long. All the best.
Janet B
“more suited to short break”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

This was lovely if compact . Not really suitable for a weeks stay, as unable to relax on sofa bed as it was difficult to take down each time. Also we were unhappy that the owner came in too use the washing machine while we were out. Minor issues though as it was well equipped otherwise.. Unfortunately it was also a little chilly and it was quite difficult to heat the room, the radiator was insufficient for the size. As for shower room it was lovely but towels could have been bigger. WiFi was OK if only one person using it.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: shower
Liked least: sofabed
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
13 Sep 2014
Thanks for the review and the 'very good' rating. Sorry there seems to have been some confusion over the washing machine. We only ever use this with the permission of guests and I was sure I had spoken to you about this upon arrival. If not, then that was a bad error on my part and I apologise sincerely. As for the towels, they are standard 'bath towels' and no-one has mentioned this before but I take your point and will now make the extra large 'bath sheet' size available. Had you asked, I would have been happy to do so at the time. I'm a little confused about the broadband comment because we are on the top BT 'unlimited use' package available, and we also have an extra cable into the apartment in case of wi-fi problems - I don't think the cable has ever been used because there has never been a need to, but given your comment, I will double check this. With regard to heating, the boiler is within the apartment and can be turned up by guests themselves ... but perhaps I need to make sure this is fully understood in future. Finally, with regard to the bathroom I can't really comment other than to say it was cleaned to the same standard as usual and every single previous review has given "cleanliness of bathroom" 5 out of 5. Nonetheless, I respect your view and will make doubly sure everything is OK in future. Overall, thanks again and I hope I have answered your points fairly.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing