“Lovely place awful food”
Review of The Hand & Flowers

The Hand & Flowers
Ranked #8 of 80 Restaurants in Marlow
Price range: US$33 - US$131
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The setting is lovely. Really cosy and very attentive service ... mostly. But the food was really disappointing. Very salty. Got our order wrong twice, shirty waiter glared at me when I politely said that we'd ordered some chips too when he delivered the first missing item. Dessert.. couldn't eat it. Perhaps being gluten free didn't go down well. Very expensive and really disappointed

5  Thank Maria C
Write a ReviewReviews (4 043)

219 - 223 of 4 043 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We booked a table and stayed in the onsite accommodation and were not disappointed. The room could only be described as fabulous and the food was amazing.

Every single member of staff we met made us welcome and were very informative about the menu. Each course was as delicious as the next. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

All nine of us had a fantastic day with James and Sarah in the Shed at The Hand and Flowers. Fantastic food matched only by the friendly service. Actually met Tom in the car park, what a top bloke, he was happy to chat and pose for photos. Highly recommend this place to anyone!

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Not for me you could only have what was on the menu they wouldn’t adjust it slightly for my daughter it was there on the menu or go without we never had a starter just a steak duck for my wife my daughter made the most of chips because they had run out of fish they came to the table trying to get us to buy wine witch annoyed my wife couldn’t wait to get out and paying a large bill over £150 with a 25% service charge was a bit strong to be honest i travelld 140 miles plus an overnight stay was a waste of time should have stayed at home would still have £200 in my pocket never again to over rated for my liking only because hes got two stars should be two xx’s

1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We went as we had been given vouchers for my retirement. It was very difficult to get a table and the the way the booking system had changed made it a bit of a lottery. As we had to drive over three hundred miles to get there we settled for a second sitting in the evening (21:45) just so we could get a date that suited ourselves and our friends. We arrived ten minutes early - the welcome was somewhat confused as clearly the staff were very busy. So we were asked to sit ‘over there and I’ll bring you a wine list’. Ten minutes later we were given a list and we ordered some drinks. A bit of a strange atmosphere to be sitting under a giant hand-grenade given the troubles of the world. Perhaps a salutary reminder of the violence that might face you at any time anywhere these days - all in the name of art I suppose.
Our table was late so we had to sit for a while and eventually shown through into the dining room. Unfortunately my wife’s choice of chicken was finished (though the waiter didn’t know when he took our order). So she had to make a hurried decision for a second choice.
At the end of the meal all the serving staff had gone and we were left to catch the eye of the guy who took plates away to give us our bill. When that came it had only knocked off £100 of the £200 vouchers we had given them when we ordered. I had to point this out. It got changed with no acknowledgement or apology for the mistake.
Overall the food was good but some of the front of house was very disappointing. They almost seemed tired and ready to get home. Perhaps a two star Michelin pub has a different approach to an equivalent restaurant and our expectations were that of a restaurant. Either way our expectations weren’t met.
Just one last comment - to receive an email message to say you would be charged £75 a head if you didn’t show a couple of days before a long planned event didn’t really set the mood. My wife’s chicken didn’t show - perhaps it’s a rare ingredient and charged £75 for a no show.

3  Thank Alan W