These x2 GORGEOUS riverside cottages are in beautiful countryside with great views. We paid the extra to rent both cottages. 4 of us in main cottage, 2 in the side annex that has its own bathroom & kitchenette.
You definitely need a 4x4 with snow/ice tyres for the access road in winter. It was sheet ice some days. We had a Land Rover with an ice setting + snow tyres so no problems.
Experienced & friendly host. Good instructions for arrival. We had in car WiFi so we didn’t have any problems messaging her.
House has WiFi, but amount you can use is limited (eg, downloading movies might take you over the limit).
Underfloor heating throughout with temperature control in each room meant everyone slept well. Comfortable beds with quality white cotton linens.
- kitchen with dishwasher & coffee percolator (left overs from previous guests are helpfully left for you, so we didn’t need to buy any sugar, tea, dishwasher tablets or laundry liquid). See pics of kitchen drawers.
- laundry with combination washer / dryer (but the dry cycle did take 4 hours).
- Bathroom had lots of toilet paper & some soap & shampoos.
- Games & book cupboard
- Iceland picture books + a Lonely Planet + house manual has lots of restaurant tips etc.
Large picture windows & comfy sofas were perfect for watching the rain lash down on a quiet recovery Sunday.
Having lots of towels were useful for jacuzzi (we only did one towel wash & dry whilst we were there). Jacuzzi instructions - in laundry - were simple to follow. Sauna (being built) will be a great addition.
All beds can be x2 single or x1 double configuration.
Ideas for improvements:
1. We had to prompt Sigríður / message her to get the side cottage key box code. This should have been included in our email instructions.
2. Also missing from instructions - the front sliding doors onto the deck cannot open in winter - we spent about an hour trying to work that one out & finally had to message to ask. Æ
3. Library & games but eo DVD player or DVDs. One evening we really wanted to just watch a movie together & there was nothing to watch on terrestrial TV. I had taken my Apple TV with me just in case there was no DVD, & although we could get it plugged in & working for YouTube we couldn’t get any iTunes or BBC etc ‘out of the UK region’ blocks came up. Also, the WiFi at the cottage is slow so it would have taken 4 hours to download (& I am sure Sigríður would not want us using up too much WiFi data).
1. Bedrooms are indeed very small - there are drawers & some wall hooks, but no wardrobe. Suitcases need to be stored in laundry to free up floor space.
2. Only 1 bathroom in main house
- perfect for golden circle - it’s on it, just south of Reykholt.
- tiny amount of light pollution - see website Blue Marble for a light pollution map (reduces chance of seeing northern lights, as does cloud & a full moon)
This beautiful house was like the 7th person in our holiday party. It’s a star!!!
We booked this beautiful cottage and the guesthouse for our stay in Iceland and couldn't have been happier with every aspect. There were 6 adults and 1 baby in our group and there was plenty of space for all of us. The views from the large patio doors were fantastic and I recommend a walk down to the river. We couldn't have been more comfortable and would love to go back! Sigríður was very helpful and always easy to contact. A perfect place to stay in a beautiful country.
We stayed for five nights mid-September. It was far more space than our family of four needed and it exceeded all of our expectations. The view alone makes this house worth the stay... I actually made a video of the View with the wind in the grass and the river flowing so that I could watch it on repeat at home. If you DO decide to leave the view and explore other parts of Iceland, the location is perfect. If we come back... sorry, WHEN we come back to Iceland I hope we are able to stay again. What an incredible place!
We were more than impressed with the style, comfort and cleanliness of this inviting cabin by the river. The views were impressive and we spent long twilight hours sitting on the deck watching the birds fly across the open landscape and listening to the water rushing along just several hundred yards away. The cabin is centrally located in the golden circle and using the interactive map so kindly provided by our hosts we were able to visit a number of the attractions that Iceland is famous for. While we did eat out once or twice, the proximity to Selfoss made it easy for us to pick up groceries and the cabin kitchen was well-equipped allowing us to make some wonderful meals at home. All in all, a place we'd love to visit again.
I cannot say enough good things about this property. You will love the view, as well the peacefulness and solitude. At night, we enjoyed sleeping to the sound of the river. The location is central to many beautiful Icelandic sites and fairly close to the grocery store. It was nice to be able to cook many of our meals and save money for some of the excursions. The owner was more than accommodating when there was a misunderstanding about the rental. I would also be remise if I did not comment on the cleanliness of this home and how nice the individual was who met us to provide us with the key. The owner also goes out of her way to provide you with valuable information that will help you plan your trip.