All reviews hot tub golden circle dining room northern lights separate buildings bedroom house four bedrooms main building full kitchen heated floors lamb three nights each evening underfloor heating guest house wine list sitting area
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Although quite pricey, the Hotel Grimsborgir is worth a stay, with an easy-to-find location, comfortable, pristine, and spacious rooms surrounded by beautiful views, coupled with wonderful amenities such as outdoor hot tubs that are filled each evening for guests to enjoy. The main building boasts a large dining area and cozy bar area with plush seating surrounding a piping hot fireplace. Unfortunately, as with many hotels, noisy guests were a bit of a disturbance to our sleep when coming and going at late hours of the night. The food (we ate in the dining room for both breakfast and dinner) was good but not exceptional. Our overall experience was quite pleasant and we would happily return should we stay in that region of Iceland again.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This is a delightful hotel. Modern, clean, and an extremely pleasant and accommodating staff. We stayed for three nights and explored many Iceland highlights, using the hotel as a base. Warning. The bottles of wine are ridiculously priced. Selling inexpensive wine for $136 a bottle. There is a wine store in Selfoss.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2017

I came to this hotel for business purposes for 10 nights.

From the moment I landed at the airport I knew I was in for a treat. I was met by the hotel owner who, along with his wife, transported me to the hotel.

On route they filled me with knowledge of the local area. I was soon apparent that the owner is a bit of a celeb in Iceland.

Once at the hotel I had the pleasure of meeting the Hotel Manager Maria. Maria is another story . I say this professionally... she is stunning and has a stunning personality. This is a rare trait. Maria is one of the most professional, charismatic and switched on people I have ever met.

hving booked a large number of rooms, suites and apartments, I was given a tour. This location is like no other. It is not your standard hotel where everyone stays in long corridors etc... The owner has created a little village/community. I can't explain without tking hours so you will have to see. Room service is delivered in vehicles. I have travelled the world but Hotel Grimsborgir is by far the best place I have stayed.

ALL of the staff are interested, knowledgeable and happy to help at any point. You are treated like a VIP regardless of status. The rooms/Apartments etc are spotless and modern yet cozy. Wifi is free all over. its location is perfect and there are plenty of walks etc on your doorstep.

The food is AMAZING. I have absolutely no negative points about this place and if you have read my previous reviews.....this is not common.

EVERY room gives you access to a hot tub and this things are hot. I sat every night in either rain or freezing winds whilst sitting in hot water outside!

I will be back on a social visit without a doubt.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2017

To be fair, if I was just reviewing Icelandic hotels, I would have given Hotel Grimsborgir an excellent rating. But as many other Iceland reviewers have noted, by world standards, there are not many really great hotels in Iceland. You need to accept this fact and accept how expensive everything is in Iceland and just enjoy this extraordinarily beautiful country full of nice people.

My wife and I spent 10 days in July doing a self drive tour around the island. Hotel Grimsborgir was our first stop for two nights. About an hour's drive from the airport. Easy to find with or without a GPS, but would recommend a GPS. Perfect location to tour the Golden Circle. Best hotel we saw in the area, but not fancy or stunning by any measure.

We stayed in a superior room. A nice, but simple room. Nice view out the window. Immaculately cleaned. We found every hotel and every restaurant in Iceland to be immaculate. Cleanliness is next to Godliness in Iceland.

Breakfast buffet is adequate. As is dinner. Nothing to write home about. Except for the wine selection.

Would recommend you stay here if touring the Golden Circle.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Grimsborgir is an interesting place. There aren't many hotels in the golden circle area and this was the best one in the area. It is a large complex with many houses. You can rent rooms and suites or flats. Originally I had booked a 2 bedroom flat with our own hot tub. Unfortunately we had an issue with the plant room which feeds the hot tub, it was making a lot of strange and loud noises throughout the night. . The next day we told them and they kindly changed our room. They didn't have any other 2 bedroom flats available so instead gave us each a mini suite. It was really nice though we didn't have the kitchen facilities nor the sitting area which was very nice in the flat. However the bathrooms were much better. Lighting in the flats bathroom was terrible. And the trade off meant we each had our own bathroom which was great being that we are two women traveling together. The one thing I thought was odd was the hot tub I thought would be just out the back with a nice terrace was not positioned as I had seen in photos online. Instead it was around the other side of the building and felt out place. It wasn't very welcoming. And for everyone expecting a Jacuzzi it is not. It is a hot tub without jets or bubbles. Also they only have it working and filled from 5pm to midnight. I will say the staff were wonderful and very helpful. It really felt like a family. The owner even drove us to dinner and back into Selfoss! He is a lovely gentleman. They seem to employ highly talented musicians to play the piano in the evenings. We had a very famous Icelandic opera singer playing during our stay. I only wish that they had better views and that they sort out their restaurant. We had a very bad dinner there. However breakfast was good and generous.

Room tip: Ask for the mini suites.
Date of stay: September 2017